United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm in the mood to get a new co-op for 2p, sometimes more, but I really want something with good replay value that's also fairly difficult.

Co-op games I enjoy: Arkham/Eldritch Horror, Forbidden Desert, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Rings LCG, Escape, Defenders of the Realm, Marvel Legendary, Elder Sign, Space Hulk Death Angel, Gears of War, D&D Games

Co-op games I don't like:
Pandemic - Too puzzle-y, bland
Ghost Stories - Too puzzle-y, didn't like dice mechanics
Robinson Crusoe - Too puzzle-y and fiddly
Darkest Night - Too much relied on dice rolls
Legends of Andor - Where do I begin?

I have a shortlist of games I'm considering, but I'd like to hear some suggestions from the BGG community first My top contenders right now are Mice and Mystics, Castle Panic w/ expansion, Shadowrift, and Police Precinct.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brahan
United States
North Sutton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two thoughts for you:

Freedom: The Underground Railroad is an outstanding game. It is challenging and VERY thematic. I think it is great for 2-4 players and really can get you and your group immersed in the action. It may be a bit too puzzly, but it's thematic, which may take care of the "puzzliness" a bit.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue is another game that I think you would like, given the options that you are considering. There are several expansions for it that are great and it is very thematic as well.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put Zombicide forward for consideration (lots of dice rolls but if you can put up with it in Arkham Horror).

+1 Mice and Mystics
+1 Castle Panic w/ expansion
+1 Flash Point: Fire Rescue

As an outside that is definitely an acquired taste:
Red November

Hanabi for 3-4 is pretty fantastic but it really is a puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi, cheap at $10. Plenty of replay and small footprint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Flash Point: Fire Rescue along with Flash Point: Fire Rescue – 2nd Story expansion for the full fire-fighting experience.

Since you seem to prefer thematic co-ops without a strong puzzle overtone, you should probably also check out Galaxy Defenders, a new game that should be showing up on shelves anytime now, which gives a x-com feel, as you play agents defending against invading aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies so far everyone

Yes, I forgot to mention that I have Hanabi. My wife and I just started playing that about a week ago. She actually enjoys it more than I do

I dismissed Flash Point as being too similar to Pandemic, but I'll have to give it another look. I didn't realize that the expansions added so much variety to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far everyone

Yes, I forgot to mention that I have Hanabi. My wife and I just started playing that about a week ago. She actually enjoys it more than I do

I dismissed Flash Point as being too similar to Pandemic, but I'll have to give it another look. I didn't realize that the expansions added so much variety to the game.

It's not even close in my book...Flash Point is dice driven, so every space has the potential to become a trouble spot. It's also much more tactical since you don't know what will come up as you do to some degree in Pandemic since the same cards keep getting reshuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
or Dead Panic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
CO₂ - It's partially a co-op game because all players need to work together to keep the global pollution level low, otherwise, everyone loses. The non co-op part of the game is that each player is trying to contribute the most to eliminating pollution-generating power plants and building "green" power plants. It can also be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Winslow
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Dead Panic to Castle Panic personally. It has a bit more challenge to it.

12 Realms is a great co-op. It plays a bit like Pandemic if it took place in Storybookland. I've never played Defenders of the Realm but it may be similar. The artwork and miniatures are amazing and the gameplay is simple and sweet. I bit of puzzling but some really elegant mechanics makes it a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Zombicide - incredibly good fun with immense replayability due to the vast number of scenarios available online. Can also be extremely difficult depending on the number of survivors you use and which scenario you take on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others said: Flash Point: Fire Rescue isn't at all like Pandemic. In Pandemic, because you generally face the same cards over and over again there is a very high factor of "predictability" that makes the game puzzle-like. Flash Point is dice driven. So you could have half your house on fire and be fine for several turns or you can have only a couple of fires and can get owned with one unlucky turn (hotspots, explosions, knockdowns).

Hanabi is an interesting game because there are different ways to playing it. When I first started I treated it as a puzzle. Giving out hints and only playing a card when it had been positively identified. It generally doesn't work well. You can however also treat it like a communication game. Where it is less about what hints you give and more about why you're giving them. The game becomes much deeper and interesting to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.