New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi-

I've completed my component files for the 2014 2P PNP contest, and I CANNOT get these &$%@*! PDF files to the 5-6 MB size BGG wants. In some cases, I'm pushing 25MB. I've tried outputting in various variations, and I can't get close to the 5MB mark.

Details:

Images are CMYK, 450 DPI in Photoshop CS3.

I've tried: flattening, converting to RGB, saving as a PDF, image quality "medium," downsampled to 250 DPI. The files STILL clock in at 20+ MB. soblue

How do I do this so they are small size but still look good when printed!??!?!

Example image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
While in in PS try down sampling to 200 dpi, also make sure your page size is say 11 x 8.5 and flatten, then last save as pdf. That's what I always do to get them to acceptable sizes. I know what you mean sometimes it's a b***h to get the files small enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a few things... well then i looked at your specs and i see you tried most things already. definitely resize to 300dpi to begin with. 450 is just too big.

do what i do and break it up into separate file sets - pg1-2, pg3-4 - i guess

do you need all that black around the page? if you crop it tighter or turn the border white that would help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you selected save without layer info (or whatever that is called)?

And I agree anything beyond 300 dpi is wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this, flatten all the layers, then select and copy everything on the layer. Then open a new file and paste it into that file. Sometimes you get extraneous fluff in a file that gets stuck there and this'll solve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, guys. I'll give these ideas a shot.

I've been in the habit for a looooong time of creating images above 300 DPI because I've burned myself a lot of times in the passed when I've needed to reuse something and the images wasn't big enough.

Unfortunately, this single Asteroid pic is just ONE page, and clocking in at 25 MB+.

I wanted to provide players with the option of either the full-color, full resolution page or a more printer-friendly version with the black stripped out. Maybe I'll need to drop the black entirely and go with just one option...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have Adobe Acrobat? You can select "Reduce File Size," I think it's under the Document window. I use this method sometimes and I'm surprised at how much it can reduce the pdf's file size. But you have to be careful, I have noticed that sometimes jpg images in the document degrade in quality, to varying degrees. But sometimes the jpg images are just fine. You may have tried this already for all I know, but I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you use to create the image? Photoshop?

Assuming yes, first do as recommended above and merge/flatten all layers.

Then save the image as either a .png or a jpg with maximum quality. What size is that image? You won't get a pdf to be smaller than that size, using that image/file. If that image is huge - you have to work on that. If it's acceptable then the problem is in the .jopoptions in Acorbat (or equivalent).

You might have the DPI set OK at - say - 300 or 450 - but what is your image size? If somehow you've accidentally created a massive image of 210cm x 297cm say (instead of 210mm x 297mm) that will - obviously - give you a huge problem.

Anyway, once you get the IMAGE to an acceptable filesize (compromising on resolution where necessary) create a blank .pdf of the right dimensions (A4, letter/legal whatever) and the insert the image into the pdf and save. If the .pdf suddenly explodes in size then there's something wrong in the myriad of settings in Acrobat (or your pdf creator). Maybe create a set of .joboptions from scratch.

I too have had 85MB file suddenly reduce to an expected 3.5mb when I finally clicked or unclicked a tickbox buried in Acrobat's settings. it's a damn nuisance. Acrobat has also frequently INCREASED a .pdf filesize when 'reducing# or 'optimising' it, because of some damn box that stayed ticked or unticked when it shouldn;t have.

However, start by finding out what your .png/.jpg/.tiff filesize is, and if the PDF is much bigger you know the problem is in Acrobat's )or your pdf creator's) settings, not with your image.

Edit: Also, if saving from photoshop make sure "turn off photoshop's editing capabilities" (or something similar) is ticked.

Your 700kg ish example image saved once as a 1500kb pdf and then as a 500kb pdf with two different 'joboptions - one set for "high quality prepress" (which seems to output everything at 1200 or 2400dpi REGARDLESS of what you tell it to do) and the other smaller one set for my online printshop.

Edit 2: sorry for typos, I'm tired!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably already tried this online utility?

http://compress.smallpdf.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, stripping that mostly-black background will likely help. If it was just black, it wouldn't impact the size much, but you seem to have a full-page picture as a starry background. Removing that image will help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CMYK files will also always take up more room because the file needs more information. Really in Photoshop you should work in RGB with Proof colors on and Gamut as well if you are concerned with the extreme deviation of your colors.

That said the easiest way to reduce your file size is to save it as a JPG first, then save that JPG as a PDF. Yes, it is a lossy format but at large resolutions it won't be noticeable when printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adobe Acrobat Pro is the best tool for size reduction.

File>Save As>Optimized PDF

First try to remove redundant objects (check everything but "downsample), most of the time it gets you to a reasonable size with no quality loss.

If this is not enough - check the downsampling option too and reduce to 300dpi anything above.

If you don't have access to Acrobat Pro - drop me a GM with a download link and I'll do it for you.

Happy PnP-ing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
regex wrote:
Adobe Acrobat Pro is the best tool for size reduction.

File>Save As>Optimized PDF

First try to remove redundant objects (check everything but "downsample), most of the time it gets you to a reasonable size with no quality loss.

If this is not enough - check the downsampling option too and reduce to 300dpi anything above.

If you don't have access to Acrobat Pro - drop me a GM with a download link and I'll do it for you.

Happy PnP-ing!

Thanks Gadi, but honestly... it's lot of files. Not a fun time anyone. I'm going to try and do this myself... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Success!

I did the following:

Removed the black background.
Flattened the image.
Reduced DPI to 250.
Converted to RGB.
Saved as PDF with medium JPG quality.

Came in at about 5.3 MB.

Ok... now I just need to do the same thing for 6 other files...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Thanks Gadi, but honestly... it's lot of files. Not a fun time anyone. I'm going to try and do this myself... whistle

Before you go over all files, you can easily do multiple files using Acrobat "Action Wizard"

Tools Menu>Action Wizard

You chose "Ask at start" for both original and destination files and select the options button for the destination - which lets you define the PDF Optimizer.

You can now run this action on many files at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks everyone... it took awhile, but I believe I was successful! Have a look, if you're interested:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/files/thing/155353

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.