Subject: Miniatures needed :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okay... so we all know this game could use some nice miniatures. Any ideas about that? Kickstarter, proxys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniels
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the zombies are easy enough, as I have lots Zombicide figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Last Night on Earth games might offer decent options for the characters, but there are so many survivors to choose from in Dead of Winter, it will be hard to have enough minis. Plus, where can you find a mini for Forrest, the mall Santa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mxrk
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly the answer is Lego minifigs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zhu
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mxrk wrote:

That is brilliant and expensive. My wallet hates you now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel H
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fishminer wrote:
Mxrk wrote:

That is brilliant and expensive. My wallet hates you now

At the risk of increasing your wallet's hate level even more...
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=1&q=zombie&catLi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no need for minis for a game like this. I personally like that they made both zombies and characters as cardboard stands - only one being minis would not have been good. And since player controls multiple characters, it's a smart design decision.

Sure there could have been painted minis of all characters and whatnot, but it would have driven the price of this game into luxury collectors item territory.

The only thing I wish they would have done is that they would have given generic stands to 'young and old' survivors as well, instead of a token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Würfel Reviews
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the minis are soooo unimportant in this game, stands are enough... and price would be smth between 70-90 euros - too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Miniatures means that they will dull grey colors. At least these stands are colorful. Not everyone has the money or time to get everything painted.

Not to mention I'm sure lots of people are happy that not having miniatures means a lower price point for the game. I mean it is already being sold for 50 ish in Canada retail value. Add in figures and that jumps up to 70 easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
amanwing wrote:
okay... so we all know this game could use some nice miniatures. Any ideas about that? Kickstarter, proxys?

"We all" in this context must mean you and the mouse in your pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maleficius
United States
flag msg tools
mb
After seeing the prototypes of this game, there doesn't seem to be a contiguous field which concretely represents the environment which you are interacting with. The colony is one area, but the other locations seem to have no geographical relevance.
Most games which use miniatures have that. Dead of Winter seems to be using the standees and location sheets to semi-abstractly represent objects which are used only as references for you to create an internal story experience. Similar to how words on a page can create an immersive, cinematic tale but are not those things. From this, I don't think miniatures would add value to the experience. Not sure if this makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames Factory sell some affordable multipart plastic Zombies and Survivors:
http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/dark-futures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Peterka
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Totally agree! I know there is no actual purpose to the upgraded minis, as others have pointed out. But I love this game, play it a lot, and I would love to see Plaid Hat Games come up with a pre-painted miniature pack for those of us who are eager to upgrade our game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JessiJean wrote:
Totally agree! I know there is no actual purpose to the upgraded minis, as others have pointed out. But I love this game, play it a lot, and I would love to see Plaid Hat Games come up with a pre-painted miniature pack for those of us who are eager to upgrade our game.

That would be very expensive to do. So expensive it's outside the realm of consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use zombie miniatures (from Run, Fight, or Die!), but I use the standees for the survivors. I think using miniatures for the survivors would be to hard to tell apart from each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game once and haven't even bought it yet but have already thought that miniatures for the zombies would be great. I found the included zombies just a little hard to tell apart from the characters a few times (I wish they had at least printed the zombies with a black background/outline to give them a little uniqueness) so I just came here to BGG to see which zombie miniatures might work the best. Glad someone else is thinking the same way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heyheyjk wrote:
... (I wish they had at least printed the zombies with a black background/outline to give them a little uniqueness) ...

May I suggest a red sharpie and a steady hand?

Saw someone on here (can't find the link) who did that and it looked great.

and for the OP: I don't agree, miniatures are not necessary and would add nothing except extra cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I don't agree, miniatures are not necessary and would add nothing except extra cost."
You can say that about every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
You can say that about every game.

Yes, you could say that, but you would be wrong in many cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind to explain why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emre Gökçe Cimen
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are games that focus on a handful of characters. These games make good use of minis.

DoW has ~100 characters all of which can easily be used in a single game.

100 minis + the paint cost + the time for paint job = so not worth it that I can't even think.

Without paint, it would look way worse than the current.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
Would you mind to explain why?

Because not every game would be improved by adding minis.

Most games have no use at all for them (Catan, Ticket to Ride, Magic the Gathering, Dice Masters, etc) and many others already have a viable alternative (Monopoly, Pandemic, Dead of Winter, etc).

There are a finite amount of games where minis not only add to the enjoyment, but are necessary to that enjoyment (Warhammer 40K, X-Wimg Miniatures, the various Attack Wing games, Heroccliks, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the games you mentioned have no single playable characters so no miniatures. Why do you think miniatures are necessary for Warhammer or X-Wing? You could play with paper markers.
And what about comparable games with playable characters like "Zombicide" "Mansion of Madness" or almost all flying frog games. They come with miniatures but would be fully playable with paper markers.
Miniatures are never necessary but improve the gaming experience. Especially when they are painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
... You could play with paper markers.....

I never said you could not play without miniatures, I said they are there to make the games more enjoyable.

Are you honestly saying that Warhammer would have become as popular as it is with no miniatures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlemen, I am not sure where that tangent can go other than pointlessness times infinity. Plus, not really the topic at hand.

Personally, I think actual miniatures would just clutter up the board. The focus of the game isn't so much what's on the table but what the other people are doing and ascertaining their motives. I wouldn't mind seeing more games go with cutouts IF they lower the cost of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.