Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Qwirkle» Forums » General

Subject: First impressions, questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Eberle
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight was my first playing of Qwirkle. I liked it but I wasn't crazy about playing a four-hand game without partnerships. The player to my left was first to act and the player to my right was able to discard his hand in the endgame, meaning he got six points and I had one fewer play than everyone else.

Has anyone tried to fix this? The staggered scoring from Ra appeals, but I don't know that 0-1-2-3 is enough to balance that out.

I would happily play it again but with tempered expectations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cardshark28800 wrote:
Tonight was my first playing of Qwirkle. I liked it but I wasn't crazy about playing a four-hand game without partnerships. The player to my left was first to act and the player to my right was able to discard his hand in the endgame, meaning he got six points and I had one fewer play than everyone else.

Has anyone tried to fix this? The staggered scoring from Ra appeals, but I don't know that 0-1-2-3 is enough to balance that out.

I would happily play it again but with tempered expectations.


I think it balances out much better as a 2-player "duel". In that kind of game, you're very aware of the end-game and only matched up against 1 opponent, so you know when to, for example, cleverly swap duplicates into the last few in the bag so your opponent will require several turns to dump their hand.

Even with 3 players, I've seen situations where a player can't win, but whether she ends the game or not hands the game to one player or the other. It's annoying, but I think it's a broader problem with games with uneven turn lengths than it is with Qwirkle specifically.

If you don't like the advice of "just play with two," an easy variant would be that the person who ends the game by emptying his or her hand gets +6 points, but you finish the round so everyone has an even number of turns.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Eberle
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reply
I don't mind playing games against just one other player--in fact I prefer it when possible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cardshark28800 wrote:
I don't mind playing games against just one other player--in fact I prefer it when possible.


Then I can confidently say, having played with 2, 3, and 4, that it's at its absolute best with two - my wife and I play it very often.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Akenson
Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I agree its better with two players.

When I play with four, it is very frustrating having my plans for a Quirkle upset by some other player, not laying down the sixth piece necessarily, but by putting some colour or shape adjacent that prevents me putting the colour/shape/s to get the Quirkle.

So it's chance, not strategy or tactics against me....that I can handle.

But not many abstracts work with more than two, so this is not uncommon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
On the contrary, I find 4-player Quirkle vastly preferable. And tactical spoiling is largely part of the reason.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cardshark28800 wrote:
the player to my right was able to discard his hand in the endgame

Did this player play all their tiles? You can't trade more tiles than are in the draw bag.

Near the end of the game, I try and save a 2 to 4 tile move in my hand so I can go out first. However many times I am unable to do this because I don't want to make low scoring moves.

I've met some Qwirkle fans that continue playing until every player has played all their tiles. The first person to use all their tiles still gets a 6 point bonus, but the game doesn't end at that point. It certainly changes the feel of the end game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unco wrote:

I've met some Qwirkle fans that continue playing until every player has played all their tiles. The first person to use all their tiles still gets a 6 point bonus, but the game doesn't end at that point. It certainly changes the feel of the end game.


There are a few ways to do the end of the game: immediately when someone runs out; finish the round so each person gets the same number of turns; keep paying until there are no more moves to be made. I have only played a few times, but have played with the keep going until all tiles are played rule.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.