Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got back into Magic some months back, one of the newer rules that had long ago been changed from what I remember back in the nineties was the Mulligan rule. These days you can apparently keep doing Mulligans (and dropping your hand down in size each time) until you're satisfied. Eh, seems cool to me.

However another friend says that even that has very recently changed. Now supposedly you can still draw a hand of seven cards after the first Mulligan, and only with a second Mulligan, third, and so on do you begin dropping your hand size. Is this true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule has not changed.

Unless it's a friendly game every mulligan is minus one to the number of Cards you draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your friend is probably talking about multiplayer Magic like Highlander that gives you one free mulligan.
Sanctioned tournament 2-player Magic still has the -1 card for each mulligan.

Refer to the Magic Comprehensive rules:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/rules

Comprensive Rule 103.4. excerpt wrote:
"...To take a mulligan, a player shuffles his or her hand back into his or her library, then draws a new hand of one fewer cards than he or she had before...."

Comprensive Rule 103.4c wrote:

"In a multiplayer game, the first time a player takes a mulligan, he or she draws a new hand of as many cards as he or she had before. Subsequent hands decrease by one card as normal."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
And Commander/EDH has its own special mulligan rule (usually called Partial Paris Mulligan).

903.8. The Commander variant uses an alternate mulligan rule. Each time a player takes a mulligan, rather than shuffling his or her entire hand of cards into his or her library, that player exiles any number of cards from his or her hand face down. Then the player draws a number of cards equal to one less than the number of cards he or she exiled this way. That player may look at all cards exiled this way while taking mulligans. Once a player keeps an opening hand, that player shuffles all cards he or she exiled this way into his or her library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair to your friend, I believe the default Mulligan rule for the digital game Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers does use the rules stated in the original post.

First a new hand of 7, and then 1 less thereafter.

However, as stated above, the regular paper tabletop version of Magic: The Gathering uses a new hand of cards with 1 less each time starting with 6.

A lot of new and returning players to Magic are coming from Duels of the Planeswalkers (as I did in 2011), and this can be where the source of confusion is coming from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say the same thing. If he learned from Duels of the Planeswalkers that is how it is done in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current one follows the paper rules for mulligans, at least on the PS3 version. I think it's the same for the computer version as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the answers! It's very much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.