Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is the conversion of Plague Rat made to be use as a team with the Vengeance rules.

Even with the most powerful card removed, the plague rat is still a very deadly enemy. To keep the infection theme but reduce its potency, I have changed the logic, now when a target is infected it does not take as much Toxic damage which is the main source of damage from Plague Rat. Of course it still takes 1 damage per turn, but it is mitigated by the bonus from the infection itself. This change make this villain more interesting in team play.

For more alternate and custom villains go to Yoshi's Scum and Villainy Thread.

The Plague Rat (HP: 24)
Setup
At the start of the game, put the Plague Rat’s villain character card into play, Plaguebearer side up.
Remove these cards from the Plague Rat’s deck: 2 Ravage, 2 Tooth and Claw, and 1 Vicious Onslaught. Shuffle the Plague Rat’s deck.
Gameplay
Infected Heroes have this power:
Power: Destroy a card named infection

Heroes with an infection next to them reduce toxic damage dealt to them by 2.
In Plague Rat’s cards text, replace “Villain deck” by “Plague Rat’s deck” and “Villain Turn” by “Plague Rat’s Turn”. (H) = 3 regardless of the number of heroes in play.
Advanced
At the start of the game, search the Plague Rat’s deck for the card Plague Locus and put it into play.

Plague Rat (Incapacitated)
At the start of Plague’s Rat turn, each hero target deals themselves 1 toxic damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Plague Rat has 6 cards that deal damage in his deck.

50% of his deck results in an infection entering play.

45% of his deck will do nothing (or nearly nothing) if the card is played before an infection enters play.

I'd remove the reduction from being infected and give Plague Rat something like:
End of turn if Plague Rat has dealt no damage this turn deal the hero target with the highest HP 2 melee damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree Plague Rat still have 4 cards that deals damage and infect heroes, plus 5 cards Inflected cards that also deal damage and Inflicted Frenzy. This is plenty enough considering there is still other villain to deal with.

Maybe the power could be changed, to the hero deal themselves some damage. But I still feel that Plague is really nasty as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe it's just bad draws for me, but in two games he's done nothing for two rounds, then thrown out an infection which lets a hero tank his toxic damage. He has two ongoing cards (shadowy Ambush) that can only be triggered by one card in his deck unless Locust comes out.

1 irreducible isn't that big of a deal by itself, and there are just too many turns where Rat does no damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that having the Plague Locus from the beginning and removing the toxic reduction would make him more aggressive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I honestly think that the toxic reduction negates any value of the infection.

Plague Locust isn't a big deal in this game style, since it increases hero damage, but only of the Villains' damage. Without steady PR damage that's a win for the heroes.

I think an infection focus could work better.

Replace the reduction text with: At the end of Plague Rat's turn search the villain trash for a copy of infected and put it into play.

Make the Advanced text: Increase damage dealt by villain cards to infected targets by 1. (EDIT: I changed this to "Whenever an infected target deals damage to an infected target, increase that damage by 1")

Then switch the 2 removed Ravages back into the deck and get rid of the other onslaught and a shadowy ambush.

That ups the infection pull to 12 cards, and ravage pulls multiple copies.

Then his end of turn searches for an infection to put into play. I'm going to test him to see if it would be too harsh, maybe the advanced text is too global, we'll see.

In this game mode the most consistent thing in Rat's game is infection, I think focusing on that will lead to more consistent game experiences, which is big in this format.

Switching out Onslaught for 2 Ravages is a roughly even damage exchange, and shadowy ambush is mostly a dead card. So his damage should remain consistent, but more infections is good.

EDIT: I tried these changes today and PR felt good, The all villain damage to infected was too strong, so I went with infected damaging infected +1, that strengthens the start of turn self-damage and Afflicted Frenzy.

Ravage was a big difference, it really helped, and the End of turn search really encouraged a mass Infected destruction.

When Plague Locust came into play the self damage was up to three, and really hurting us, but with the +1 and being set-up decently we ended up focusing PR down. The deck felt really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the Infection focus and the uselessness of Shadow Ambush so I would make the following change:
Remove 2 Shadow Ambush, 2 Vicious Onslaught and 1 Sewer Friend.

I am not sure I want to make it even more infection based, removing the reduction is one step, but starting infecting heroes left and right is another. I think the auto irreducible damage from infection is bad enough on top of the regular damage.

When you test what is your setup in # heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I've been doing 4 heroes with three of your decks and one of the V5 to give a sense of how difficult or easy they are by comparison.

Those changes should get better results, as there aren't many turns that aren't doing something.

I'll test it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.