Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if a car on the inside line, draws the high in the turn result, and there is a car in the space on the outside line?

I was debating that the outer car must play a pass to avoid a crash, as with a standard crash card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garton
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All house rules are welcome. It's according to the Track situation, narrow, normal, wide.

Wide: pretty much no effect to outside lane, you can still pass to the insude.

Normal: Passing on the inside is blocked.

Narrow: Passing on the inside is blocked. We add the house rule that the car in the outside lane can't pass inside, only outside as the high in turn car is inches away.

You could also do as you propose and add a pass requirement or get tangled up with the car. At that point if a crash does occur, both lanes of cars behind the two would have to make a pass check to get by.

Still workining a new rules set, welcoming all suggestions, GM me.

Mike Garton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavanized Yankee wrote:
What happens if a car on the inside line, draws the high in the turn result, and there is a car in the space on the outside line?

I was debating that the outer car must play a pass to avoid a crash, as with a standard crash card.

I think the idea of playing a pass card (as if a Crash Ahead card was drawn) is the best I've seen so far to deal with this issue on a Narrow Lane track. I need to try it and see how it plays, but in theory this is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garton
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you try this, I'm curious how you'll handle it as the cars in same lane as "High in Turn Car" pass by. This will cause the "High in Turn Car" to constantly move next to a different car in the outside lane as he loses positions.

Does only the first car have to make the pass attempt or each time the high in turn car gets passed? Could make for a nerve wracking round for those in the Outside if someone close to the front of the inside goes high in turn. (Which causes the most big wrecks in real NASCAR, BTW)

If you get a good occurrence in a race, let me know how you handle it and results.

Or, a player only has to make the pass attempt when it is his action phase AND High in Turn Car is next to him.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making the assumption that an inside line car, has gone into the marbles, and is sliding away. When the car resumes it joins the outside line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgartlin wrote:
Does only the first car have to make the pass attempt or each time the high in turn car gets passed? Could make for a nerve wracking round for those in the Outside if someone close to the front of the inside goes high in turn. (Which causes the most big wrecks in real NASCAR, BTW)

Each time! The car is slow in front of them and they need to pass it or crash.

But playtest will be the final arbiter. I'll keep you posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was only going to make the car directly above the sliding car check, but it could be treated as a standard crash test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me a while to make sense of the rules in this case. Here's my interpretation:

Q: What happens if a car on the *inside* lane gets High in Turn and there is a car in the matching space in the outside lane?

A: It's according to the Track situation: narrow, normal, or wide.
* Wide (6 lanes: pass-race-pass-pass-race-pass): The High-in-Turn car rests in the second passing lane; this has no effect on the outside racing lane (both its passing lanes remain free), and only blocks outside passes for the inner lane.
* Normal (5 lanes: pass-race-pass-race-pass): The High-in-Turn car rests in the middle passing lane; this blocks outside passes for the inner lane and inside passes for the outer.
* Narrow (4 lanes: pass-race-race-pass): The High-in-Turn car remains in the inner racing lane, hugging its outer edge. A car in the outside lane cannot pass inside (assuming there is a gap in front of the high-in-turn car), as the latter is mere inches away: it blocks the diagonal. A car in the inner lane moves up beside the high-in-turn car during its action phase, and similarly loses any outside pass opportunity for the same reason.

Here are some diagrams for the Narrow track case:

free-free-free-free
free-car2-car4-car6
car1-free-CAR3-car5
free-free-free-free

CAR3 is high-in-turn. Normally, car4 could pass inside car2 and end up beside car1; because of CAR3, it cannot do so. It could still pass outside, however. In this diagram, car5 would suffer no CAR3-induced restrictions during its turn, and CAR3 would automatically drop back a slot.

free-free-free-free
car1-free-car4-car6
free-car2-CAR3-car5
free-free-free-free

In this case, on car5's action phase it moves up beside CAR3 (in the "same" space) and can pass inside car2 normally. However, it cannot pass outside car2, because CAR3 blocks the diagonal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.