BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Tactics of Fate - Early Brainstorming Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Kilroy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
First and foremost, I apologize if my post seems a bit jumbled. I'm not too good at getting my ideas down in a manner in which others can easily understand. That aside, here goes.

The game is pretty simple so far. There are two decks per player:
Hero Deck(Working Name)-
Basically this is your main deck that included your Heroes, Items, Spells and Traps
Field Deck-
This contains the Field Cards used to construct the the playing area at the beginning of the game.

Each Hero Deck must hold one Veteran card that will act as your overall Life Total. It's like a normal Hero except for the fact that if it's HP reaches 0 it's Game Over for it's controller and it is played in one of the four corners of the board from the start of the game.

Now to break down each card type within the Hero Deck. There are 4 types of cards, Heroes, Items, Spells, and Traps, with Items having sub categories.
Heroes-
These are your basic attackers and Defenders. They can be killed and leveled(more on that in a bit). Heroes can only be played in any of the 8 squares surrounding the Veteran.
Items-
There are two different types of item cards; Equipment and Inventory. Both of which must be placed face down one block away from one of your Heroes to symbolize being found. This also means they can be stolen by your opponent.
Spells-
These have their own ranges and a mana cost. They also have class specific limitations.
Traps-
Like items these must be placed within one block of one of your own Heroes.

More specifics on Heroes:
All Hero cards have the following information-
Name
Level(between 1-10)
HP and Mana(If class allowed)
Artwork
Class(This determines both Equipment and Spells that can be used)
Set Symbol
Abilities Panel
Movement Range(How far the Hero can move in all 9 directions)
Attack Range(How far the Hero can attack in all 9 directions)
Recruitment Cost(This is how many Gold Pieces it costs to "Recruit" the Hero)
Level Up Cost(This is how many kills/exp a Hero must amass before he can be leveled up)
Artist
Attack and Defense Values(These are their base values before equipment)

Two conditions must be met to level up a Hero:
-It must have amassed enough kills/experience to level up
-The player must have the next level card in their hand

I'll delve more into the other card types later if asked.

Setup:
Setup involves all players(between 2-4[pending review]) shuffling their Field and Hero Deck and then taking turns drawing and placing Field Cards to build the playing field. I'm still trying to decide how big the field should be and if it should be determined by the number of players or not.

Game Phases:
All phases are completed by one player and then the turn is passed to the next.
Draw Phase-
The Player draws one card from their Hero Deck.
Standby Phase-
Any effects that state they happen now will be activated. All Gold and Mana generation for the active player is also handled during this phase.
Strategy Phase-
The active player may play one Hero and one Item or Trap Card. Heroes played this turn can not move or attack.
Action Phase-
During this phase the Active Player may move each of his Heroes within their movement range. Each Hero may also perform one of four things:
Attack if an opponent's Hero/Veteran are within its attack range. The Defending Hero/Veteran responds with a counterattack.
Use an Item or Equipment from your Party's Inventory.
Flip an Item/Trap Card directly one space away from them. If it's an item it can be either placed in the Party's Inventory or Sold for GP.
Or Rest.
End Phase-
This ends the current Active Player's turn and passes it to the next player.

This continues until all but one Veteran is killed.

That's the gist of what I have so far. Any questions and comments would be highly appreciated. Also the name is still being decided, whats listed above is merely a placeholder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Kilroy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Updated some terminology and added something I'd forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Rubinelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
If I understand it correctly, items and traps are supposed to provide a bluffing dynamic. How do you expect them to play out? Do you expect players to take the risk of flipping a card their opponent placed right in front of their characters or play it safe?

Edit: is there any way to check for traps, besides springing them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Kilroy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
It's both a bluffing mechanism as well as a way to distract your opponents. It causes them to consider wasting one of their heroes' second action. And to answer your other question, certain heroes will have a trap checking ability, most notably the Heroes in the Rogue class.

EDIT: I hate typing on a phone, turned bluffing into stuffing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Warman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'm curious about the field cards. You never really explained the point of the field. Do field hold any special effects? Do you place heroes on the field or is the field something you just place on the side of the game board. Also is there any way to place a field card after the setup step?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Kilroy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
My apologies on that actually. The field is where the Heroes are played on and certain Field cards give different advantages. As for playing Field Cards after the setup step, I never really thought of that and I'll get back to you after I see if I can make it so you can. It'd definitely be interesting if I could work that in somehow, kinda like a phase shift sort of spell or something perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Kilroy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for a few more opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Kilroy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Where do I go from here? I need help creating the cards as I lack the ability to balance things properly. I already have the basic layouts of each card type. Where do I go to find people who are willing to help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.