Gangster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant idea for solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, hope you are all doing well.

So I got down to try out something yesterday in regards to making this a possible 1-player experience as close as possible to the game idea as originally designed.

I haven’t really had the chance to test it a fully but I would like to ask you guys to try it out, since it’s easier for you to find the flaws (I’m sure this won’t work right off the batch, but this might be a good start, so I’m more interested in knowing whether you guys think this might be a good idea or not so much.

Also, there are 2 possible ways of playing this, which I will explain below.

So the set-up is as follows:
Use all the colours and choose which one you want to be. Set your cubes aside and mix all others in a bag. Randomly place the score tiles on the board as per original rules for 5 players. Once these are laid out, start grabbing cubes from the bag and fill two rows on every score tile. You will be able to fill exactly two rows per tile. Unlike the original rules, you start with no cubes on the board. You will start with 8, 7 and 5 cubes on rounds 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

Put all the score markers on the designated starting space “The King”, thing is, you start at 0, AI players start at 120 points.

Place all the cars on the board. I recommend placing the AI cars on the spaces where they score highest so that they should all start from a different place. Also, AI cars will always have the following car equipment:
- bumper
- bodyguard
So if they move onto the space your car is, they will push you away and if you are in the same space as they are, you won’t be able to take any of that gangster’s cubes off the board.

Your own car starts with the following equipment (this is one of the major issues that might be subject to change):
- Trunk
- Door

Prepare the movement cards for each AI car by shuffling them and placing them face down within easy reach (each car with its own pile obviously, don’t shuffle them all together).

Game objective:
You are the novice in Chicago trying to establish your own organised crime affiliation. The other mafia families are established and have an agreement among each other, so they want the new boy out of the picture. As explained, you start at 0 points, they start at 120 points. The objective is to kill the crime-members one by one whilst infiltrating your own into the Chicago crime scene, thus seizing control over the city.

You will have to abduct all the established crime members and drown them in the sea one bye one (or two by two, which is why you start with the trunk). For every gang member you drown, the respective colour loses 5 points. so the respective score marker is moved backwards respectively.

You will score as per regular game rules, so whenever all the 2x tokens are placed on the board or when 3 cops are revealed, you score according to where you placed your gang-members and respective score. The other mafia families will not score. If you manage to have a higher score then all other mafia families by the end of the game, you win, otherwise, you will be drowned in the river.

Game Flow:
You start from the docks. When it is your turn, you have to move AND you may perform an action and it has to be in that sequence, so FIRST you move; SECOND you perform an action. You are free to skip the action, but you are not allowed to skip the movement.

So when it’s your turn, you chose your speed and move your car, flip the respective card face down. Now you may perform an action as usual (place gangsters, “invite” opponent gangsters, release opponent gangster).

After you moved and (optionally) performed an action, you draw the top card of each of the AI movement deck and move their cars respectively according to the rules for having the bumper if that applies (only against you, they will not use it on one another). You have to remember how the cars will move (see below).

So you do this three times, after which time you reveal the top card from the location deck and proceed as per rules (place a 2x marker or nothing happens if it’s the first or second cop).

So this happens after all cars (including yours) have moved 3 times.

Keep on playing until the first score. Reveal the gambling card and apply score if applicable. Remember: only you score, the AI players do not score.

After the third scoring round you win if your score is higher than all other player's scores. Optionally you may try the other way around: all start at 0 and the gangsters will start scoring big and you have to catch up over the course of the game.

A few issues to consider:
- the upgrades: I think the AI upgrades (bumper and bodyguard) work well but am not sure about the solo player upgrade and think it might be necessary for the solo player to not have any upgrade at all, or maybe just the trunk and not the door.
- AI car movement. I have been moving them in a circuit. So the would drive down NE to SE, then move to S and go up N, move from there to NW, W, WW, W, SW again, so the driving circuit would always be: NE >> E >> SE >> S >> CENTRE >> N >> NW >> W >> WW >> W >> SW >> S >> CENTRE >> N >> NE >> and so on…
- As the solo player you obviously still have to drive to the river to drown those gangsters
- When you “invite” Opponent gangsters into your car and this leaves blank spaces on the tile, one of two things happen: 1) there are no cubes of your own and later, when you place cubes, they fill those spaces first; or 2) there are cubes of your own and they will shift to fill the blank spaces closest to the start. So opponent cubes never move, but your own will always fill in the empty spaces closest to the first space regardless of where your cubes are, so if you are tied in number of cubes with another player, you might shift down in ranking because of this.
- Another alteration might be the location cards. I’m thinking about drawing two location cards after you played your 3 turns rather than just 1 location card. This makes full rounds shorter and considering you have both the door and trunk at the start, this might make the game considerably faster. This might also depend on the initial upgrades though, if they are tweaked this might be tweaked too.

Let me know what you think guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to give this a more thorough go over the coming weekend. I just had another idea to make the game harder (in case this is too easy):

- after scoring the other mafia families call in for back-up. Take all the gangsters you drowned during the just completed round and put them back into game. There can be a few ways to do this and I'm inclining towards either 1) add all colours of the same cube to where that colour has the strongest presence; or 2) put all the drowned gangsters back in the bag and randomly distribute them over the board similar to set-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
haven't tested it yet- but
since you're trying to take control of districts & score points.
why not take points from controling families as they lose a
district so not all emphasis is on removing their gang from game totally.
also someone else posted in an ealier thread the idea of
turning enemy members to your side.
maybe when a minimum district control is reached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
finally played today- won at the first scoring round.
I had a score of 76, green-70, grey-110, yellow & blue-120

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
er... how so you won? you would have to beat all four scores, so unless you are saying that the other colours had minus points (which is impossible) you didn't win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
er... how so you won? you would have to beat all four scores, so unless you are saying that the other colours had minus points (which is impossible) you didn't win...

blush oops- misread victory conditions- thought it said only
score higher than one of them.
back to the game board...

errr...i see goo

in Game Flow section it says:

"After the third scoring round you win if you have a higher
score than anybody else."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.