Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Large Monster Movement and Knight's Guard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hey so we ran into this rules question last night. When a knight has Guard, and I move a large monster, the large monster shrinks to one square, then is moved. If the movement path doesn't take the monster adjacent to the knight, but the large monster expands adjacent to the knight can the knight still use Guard? I read it as the the Large monster is NOT moving adjacent to the knight at that point, but IS entering the space. So Guard would not activate, but other abilities that trigger on entering spaces would be applicable. I'd love some clarification or confirmation, because my Heroes were not enjoying my interpretation last time we played.

Also as a follow up. What happens with Guard if a large monster moves adjacent and can't legally be placed when the Guard interrupts the movement?

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expanding into a space is not entering that space. So no, you could not Guard.

See the similar ruling for Nimble:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Descent_Second_Edition_Un...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11020911#11020911

gspeager wrote:
Also as a follow up. What happens with Guard if a large monster moves adjacent and can't legally be placed when the Guard interrupts the movement?

Also similar to Nimble, the large monster would need to expand first and then you can resolve guard.

See the rulings for Nimble from the above link and here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12038552#12038552
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Oh! So expanding doesn't even count as entering a space? That was where I was willing to concede an opportunity to trigger a skill on large monster movement with expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is one of the dumbest rulings ever. If the monster didn't enter that space, how is it considered adjacent? Ugh...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. They only technically enter the 1 space while shrunk.

Per the official FAQ though, large monsters must declare their action before interrupting, so expanding is not as powerful as you might think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Which is one of the dumbest rulings ever. If the monster didn't enter that space, how is it considered adjacent? Ugh...

-shnar

Agreed. Whatever the official answer might be, I know how I will interpret this rule.

This interpretation (however official) will look to my hero group as though I'm massaging the rules in my favour. I'll quickly drive away my hero group who are already thinking the game is tough enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trouvere wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Agreed. Whatever the official answer might be, I know how I will interpret this rule.

This interpretation (however official) will look to my hero group as though I'm massaging the rules in my favour. I'll quickly drive away my hero group who are already thinking the game is tough enough.

Well, the problem with not going by this ruling is that Nimble becomes obscenely powerful against large monsters that attack in melee. You would almost never get hit.

If your group thinks you are pushing the rules into your favor, just note that these are from the game designer(s). Also show them that there are plenty of rulings that hinder the overlord (nerfed OL cards, large monsters expansion nerf, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I must be missing something! Please tell me I have misunderstood...

Suppose the overlord wishes to attack a hero that has the nimble ability (with a large monster). Could that monster (having shrunk) feasibly move to a space near (but not next to) the nimble hero, expand into an adjacent space and then attack the nimble hero without the hero being able to trigger his/her nimble ability?

If so, you are not playing a game here, you are playing a set of rules.

I really like descent 2nd edition, but keep finding whacky rule interpretations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trouvere wrote:

Suppose the overlord wishes to attack a hero that has the nimble ability (with a large monster). Could that monster (having shrunk) feasibly move to a space near (but not next to) the nimble hero, expand into an adjacent space and then attack the nimble hero without the hero being able to trigger his/her nimble ability?

I really like descent 2nd edition, but keep finding whacky rule interpretations.

Yes, you could do that. What you cannot do that you could in the past is interrupt your movement from really far away, expand into melee range, attack, and then move backward.

By stopping your movement far away and expanding into range, you are basically giving up part of your movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:
trouvere wrote:

Yes, you could do that. What you cannot do that you could in the past is interrupt your movement from really far away, expand into melee range, attack, and then move backward.

By stopping your movement far away and expanding into range, you are basically giving up part of your movement.

Thanks for that!

I'm going to be in house-rule land....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:
trouvere wrote:

This is new to me. I'm glad I read this thread. I thought movement could be interrupted to perform an action? Or it that you have to enter a space that is in range in order to attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drjmcmillan wrote:
This is new to me. I'm glad I read this thread. I thought movement could be interrupted to perform an action? Or it that you have to enter a space that is in range in order to attack?

You can, however it has changed a little bit for large monsters with the official FAQ:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/descent-second...
Quote:
Page 16, “Large Monsters”:
Add, “When interrupting a large monster’s movement to perform an action, the overlord must be able to declare the action that the large monster will perform before placing the monster’s figure on the map.”

See this post for Dexter's great visual examples:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14165889#14165889
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.