Warhammer: Diskwars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How do you play Tyrion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Verro Diabolico
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following the thread about Volkemar the Grim, I would like to do a similar question regarding Tyrion. As far as I can see he is not much loved and used, and at first I thought his ability wasn't very useful because too situational (17% to inflict 1 wound when him engages an enemy). However I though the same about Archaon, but then I've seen how he could be very dangerous (however inflict 3 wounds when engages 3 enemies IMHO is far better than have 50% to inflict a wound to 1 of them...).
Anybody have used Tyrion and found out how to use him at his best?
At the moment I only though about using Karl Frantz focus ability on him, in order to allow him to engage a lot of enemies in the same turn, engaging them twice, maximizing the rolls to instatly inflict 1 wound, but honestly cannot find any other combo or tacticts to make it really dangerous...
Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jolli Jolivette
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
He's just the HE's beatstick hero. If you are running a force where you use command cards that require a hero within a certain range, he is good (because the other two while amazing are squishier than him). In this game, the uncertainty of having a wound inflicted to a disk is both meh for you, but could also be concerning for the opponent. Like a lot of games that use dice, I have seen rolling a 6 with him change the tide of the game.

In regards to combos, not really a lot of combos with him yet (none of the HE command cards really help him or work with him). It's more so if you just want a close up hero for HE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you play him anything like my regular opponent you charge him with reckless abandon into successive melee against my Steam Tank and Karl Franz and turn a winning position into ash in my mouth by rolling 6 on both occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Mostly I don't.

However when I do I think the basic idea is to have him try to engage multiple enemies the same way you would with Archeon or most other cavalry because when you do get that instant wound it can throw your enemy for a loop and he isn't a bad fighter whether pinning or pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
As stated, Tyrion is a very straightforward beatstick-type hero. When Empowered, he can OHKO almost any unit in the game (notably, Knights Panther).

Velensk wrote:
...have him try to engage multiple enemies the same way you would with Archeon...

Does Archaon's ability multiply by the number of enemies he engages? That's so cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, he's pretty much psychotic charge hero, I know the odds of him pulling off an execution (rolling a 6) are low, but the power he exerts by manipulating your opponent's moves is huge. So for example, in a game yesterday, I managed to wound my wife's bloodthirster in the first round, so she was afraid to charge him because he might just destroy the bloodthirster outright. Similarly, charging him with normal no stamina units is just taking a chance at outright losing them.

That being said, if you leave him unsupported, he's dead, dead, dead (a common theme for anyone in Diskwars). I like to have Tyrion supported by Teclis, and have Speed of Asuryan ready (giving Teclis mobile is just wrong, but it turns him into quite a sniper).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hel 45
Hungary
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
flag msg tools
mb
peterpotamus wrote:
As stated, Tyrion is a very straightforward beatstick-type hero. When Empowered, he can OHKO almost any unit in the game (notably, Knights Panther).

Velensk wrote:
...have him try to engage multiple enemies the same way you would with Archeon...

Does Archaon's ability multiply by the number of enemies he engages? That's so cool!

Yes it does, and yes it is devil

Last week I was playing a game like I was the worst general ever and my only sweet moment during the whole session was when Archaon pinned 3 enemies and dealt 4*3 (there was one more enemy disk in short range) magic damage with one move. Were my opponent's disks not overlapping the cave, the arcane damage + impact would have finished all 3 off before getting to melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess he is a good target for Shield of Saphery, also if you manage to keep him near Alarielle, healing him could be very annoying, but it's not exactly easy to pull off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosalind Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have him pin a vital unit and let the enemy risk counter pinning him. Most people wont take the risk of instantly dieing upon engaging, unless you are me in which case I will take the risk and Tyrion will roll a 6.

Watch out for orc heroes though, 2 stamina creatures are significantly less impacted by taking a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGrady
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
The High Elves are my least favorite army (just personal preference and style). I still play them just for a change of pace.

In addition to the above ideas I've used:

Tyrion
Sun Dragon
Swordmasters x2

as 1 of my Regiments to create an unexpected play style coming from the Elves which has caught opponents off guard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.