Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't going to fill out a full session report, but had to talk about this game.....

3 investigators (Ashcan, Jenny, Michael) were looking great against the easiest (right?) AOO out there. He (she?) has the longest doom track ever, I have five gates sealed with the doom track at 6 at turn 22. Everything is looking like I have a smooth victory ahead of me. Jenny has possessions up the wazoo and is beating monsters left and right, Ashcan has drifted his way toward one last gate with five clue tokens, and Michael, well.... he's terrible right? Only having 3 sanity to work with, no lore... it makes fighting any monsters worth fighting pretty dang impossible.

Anyway, the turn before Ashcan gets to Cedeno, a rumor shows up. "Good Work Undone". I read it.... and read it again..... and one last time.... surely it can't get rid of all of my elder signs? I guess it can. Crap. Michael and Jenny have no clues.

Adding to the trouble is that there is a Gug standing over the rumor. Gug's are no fun, especially for Michael who is trapped right next to the rumor in Ribb's Roadhouse. So he tries to sneak past the beast... nope, to the hospital he goes. Jenny goes down to the science building to spend one of her gate tokens to get a couple clues. Next turn the drifter will get to the gate at the Graveyard.

First mythos phase after the rumor I roll..... a 1. So up to 7 clues. I should mention we currently have the damn environment card where we lose one movement point. Jenny only has 2 movement, she can't get up there this turn. Michael is worthless, Ashcan gets to the Graveyard and gets sucked through to Cedeno. He passes his first stage there, that's good. Jenny will get to the rumor next turn, and she has a flute of the outer gods to get rid of the Gug. So maybe we are ok.....

But we roll snake eyes for the rumor. Are you kidding me? 9 clue tokens. So the drifter passes the second part of Cedeno, Jenny spends two clue tokens to get rid of 2 clue tokens, back down to 7 clue tokens. All we need is for the Drifter to seal the gate next turn to win.

I ROLL A 1-2 ON THE FREAKING MYTHOS PHASE. Back to 9. Azathoth is not messing around here. The drifter gets back to the Abyss portal at the Graveyard, we need a success to win the game..... 1-3-2. Kill me.

Oh wait, that's more or less what happens as I roll a 1 on the mythos phase. 10 clues. All elder signs gone. Terror track at 9.

I play it out, monsters break free shortly thereafter, I have six gates open for like 7 turns until a 7th finally spawns, awakening Azathoth who devours the world.

Brutal. Couldn't believe that I lost the game when I felt like it was more or less a cake walk for the first 20 turns. Anything, I thought I'd share.

A quick question though:

How does a doom track like Azathoth's ever fill up? I mean, unless I'm missing something, you mostly only advance doom when you open a gate in the mythos phase. Opening 15 gates is impossible. I mean, I played 38 turns and it was finally at 12, but am I missing something in regards to doom advancement?

When a gate appears in an encounter, does doom advance?

Regarding discarding.... it says in the rulebook that cards used (like common items) are put at the bottom of their respective piles. Ashcan's ability allows him to look at the bottom of piles when getting assets. Is that correct? I more or less have the option to re-use items already used? That seemed weird.

Jenny's upkeep ability seems super exploitable. I just got a bank loan and never really had to worry about it. I gave money to the other guys when I could to get items/pay off their loans. She in general seemed pretty great.

And Michael is horrible, yes? I just felt he wasn't able to do much of anything worthwhile with that 3 sanity. I could be wrong, but he's been my weakest character thus far, even with that Tommy Gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
A quick question though:

How does a doom track like Azathoth's ever fill up? I mean, unless I'm missing something, you mostly only advance doom when you open a gate in the mythos phase. Opening 15 gates is impossible. I mean, I played 38 turns and it was finally at 12, but am I missing something in regards to doom advancement?

No, you're right: more open gates means less frequent doom advancement. However, notice that if you hit the gate limit the Ancient One immediately awakens. So you can't just let them open indefinitely.

Quote:
When a gate appears in an encounter, does doom advance?

Yes. Every opening gate both adds a doom token and spawns a monster. It's a packaged deal.

Quote:
Regarding discarding.... it says in the rulebook that cards used (like common items) are put at the bottom of their respective piles. Ashcan's ability allows him to look at the bottom of piles when getting assets. Is that correct? I more or less have the option to re-use items already used? That seemed weird.

That is the intent. It's a fine ability when used to its fullest. But it's far from over-powered.

Quote:
Jenny's upkeep ability seems super exploitable. I just got a bank loan and never really had to worry about it. I gave money to the other guys when I could to get items/pay off their loans. She in general seemed pretty great.

Exactly.

Quote:
And Michael is horrible, yes? I just felt he wasn't able to do much of anything worthwhile with that 3 sanity. I could be wrong, but he's been my weakest character thus far, even with that Tommy Gun.

Just be aware of what monsters you're attempting. His high Fight also makes him a decent gate-closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael also has a decent Will, which you can set at its highest level (four) and still have a good fight. He's not like Joe, who has a maximum will of three.

A Gug only deals a two-sanity loss, so you can set your fight a little higher (he only has a focus of one), voluntarily lose the two sanity, still have one sanity left, which will still allow you to fight, and use dynamite to try to blow it up. If you fail, you've still got the Tommy Gun for two more rounds, using his special ability to save stamina.

With a +6 Tommy gun and a base fight of two, with his horror at max, he's a good monster killer; you just have to pass that horror check or spend a lot of time going back and forth to the Asylum.

Absolutely agree that he's a good gate sealer, which I think a lot of people overlook, since he starts with those good weapons.

As Tibs points out, in the base game, Azathoth usually wins on there being too many open gates.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Michael also has a decent Will, which you can set at its highest level (four) and still have a good fight. He's not like Joe, who has a maximum will of three.

A Gug only deals a two-sanity loss, so you can set your fight a little higher (he only has a focus of one), voluntarily lose the two sanity, still have one sanity left, which will still allow you to fight, and use dynamite to try to blow it up. If you fail, you've still got the Tommy Gun for two more rounds, using his special ability to save stamina.

With a +6 Tommy gun and a base fight of two, with his horror at max, he's a good monster killer; you just have to pass that horror check or spend a lot of time going back and forth to the Asylum.

Absolutely agree that he's a good gate sealer, which I think a lot of people overlook, since he starts with those good weapons.

As Tibs points out, in the base game, Azathoth usually wins on there being too many open gates.

Brian

Good call on the gug only taking away two sanity... the problem is that Michael seemed to spend the whole game with 1-2 sanity. Once you experience a random sanity loss you are screwed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
I wasn't going to fill out a full session report, but had to talk about this game.....

Anyway, the turn before Ashcan gets to Cedeno, a rumor shows up. "Good Work Undone". I read it.... and read it again..... and one last time.... surely it can't get rid of all of my elder signs? I guess it can. Crap. Michael and Jenny have no clues.

Brutal. Couldn't believe that I lost the game when I felt like it was more or less a cake walk for the first 20 turns. Anything, I thought I'd share.

A quick question though:

I had the same rumour appear last night, with similar results. I thought I was coasting to a win, then that threw a spanner in the works and the King in Yellow final act finished. Result: One dead town.

I've asked a question before about doom tracks filling. In the base game, with three investigators, I've never even remotely been worried about this. It's only now, with expansions (other towns and gate bursts*) that I need to keep an eye on it. If you're in the base game, and you know that there are only 11 gate locs, maybe put 5 on the doom track to begin with**. That'll keep you honest!

*Edit - even gate bursts don't add to the doom track.
**Edit 2 - maybe reduce the number of open gates allowed instead. This will force you to jump into gates even though you don't have enough clue tokens more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the terror track/gate maximums add enough challenge (at least for me, a noob, who has only played three games). I'm 1 win, 2 losses at this point, so I'm totally fine without making it harder. Just seems like the doom track is a bit anticlimactic at this juncture with just the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
I think the terror track/gate maximums add enough challenge (at least for me, a noob, who has only played three games). I'm 1 win, 2 losses at this point, so I'm totally fine without making it harder. Just seems like the doom track is a bit anticlimactic at this juncture with just the base game.

Azathoth has the longest doom track. When you try the other Ancient Ones, you will find the doom track to be much more of a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
For a horribly tense game, try to beat Yig by sealing gates rather then battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Closing but not sealing gates is how you end up with tons of doom tokens and waking up Azathoth. Gate trophies in hand. But new gates opening in old locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.