Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever bought one of these? I mean a Ships card not a card with a ship symbol on it. Here is a variant rule to make them more attractive.

If you play a Ships card into a Siege it counts as 2 strength not 1 unless the opponent has already played at least one Ships card into that siege or unless he can show you a Ships that is currently in his hand. If he shows you one in his hand he returns it to his hand after showing it.

Essentially a Ships in the right circumstances is an unambushable 2.

Bear in mind that I play with the following other variants, but it would work without these:

Don't reshuffle discards in when draw pile empties, but only after refilling your hand at the end of your turn (can leave you with less than 5 cards).

1st edition rules, except that base range of raid is 2 not 1.

Louisbourg does not connect to Trois Rivieres
Fort St. John connects to Montreal and Trois Rivieres not Quebec.

"Supply" traceable to both Montreal and Quebec for French.

A hidden draft/hidden money rule where you don't see what cards the enemy bought till he uses them on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. That would make that particular card more valuable. And I particularly like the idea of not showing your opponent which cards you purchase.

Curious why you don't play with the other MW second edition rules, e.g., remove the French bateau? And I saw another thread which attributed a "winter" rule to you whereby when your opponent shuffles, you have the option as well, but I don't see that in the list of rules you play with. Did you at one point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that is somebody elses' riff on my don't shuffle the discard till the last act of the turn variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The MW 2nd edition changes came after I had already started using my discard reshuffle variant. Pretty soon after he released them they were being attacked as not solving the HH problem. So I never adopted them. It seems historical to me that the French should have the Bateaux card in hand at start, and remember that too small a deck can be bad with my variant rule, since the smaller it is the more often you will go into the opponent's turn, and then your next turn, with less than 5 cards.
I liked the base range of 2 for Raids though, so I adopted that. It can make the opening game more potentially dynamic and unpredictable, and it raises the importance of the frontier war as opposed to the war along the seaboard. It means each side can threaten each other earlier on the landward side. So I adopted that rule as interesting for the game (and reasonably historical).

I like variants and use them all the time. I don't feel too constrained by the rules as written, or the rules as written and then later changed by the original designer! However, this does create the problem of justifying them to an opponent and persuading opponents to try them.

Obviously my proposed Ships change is pro-British, so it really has to be used alongside some pro-French changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the British player generates cash more easily, doesn't this rule increase the power of the British player over the French?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes its good for the British, as stated above. But it means that the Ships cards do actually get bought, and it seems historical, and it also creates more variance in games. Historically, it represents the naval superiority that would come with committing a major portion of the main fleet to the North America station, as happened during the 7 Years' War.
Remember, that with my variant rules you won't know immediately if the opponent buys a Ships card, because I play that all purchases are hidden. You know the opponent has purchased a card but not what it is. So the French can also surprise the British by deploying one to Canada. Also the powerful effect of having the two British Ships cards in one hand is warded off by having the French player having his single Ships card in his hand (though it is true that is then blocking up one place in the French hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Radic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have second edition print,maybe i missing something - the only card with Bateaux simbol is to be found in English Empire deck?Orange card.

Recently we had played with reshuffling immediately to refill hand,without "winter phase",but Britts started with 4 gold ,French started with 8 gold.Also with "no governing of starting location".
It was devastating Britts defeat,other player tried to execute HH tactics,but the French using Native Indians and Priest removed ALL troops and Native Indians from the British player.
I like idea that playing first Ships card adds 2 of siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.