Jose G
msg tools
The store championship held at our own cozy carpet and card store hybrid called Trotta's Hobbies was a great success. In all, around 20 players showed up to run some nets, with over half coming from other areas/stores (always nice for a newer store!). The tourney was set to be four rounds of swiss and a cut to a top four. It all ran smoothly and quickly thanks to our TO, Scott, who managed to get way too many Kati's (nearly everyone got a full play set) and ran a Plugged-In styles challenge table with prizes he supplied himself. In the end, the top 8 players got a playmat since two extras were added by the TO and two others were passed down by myself and a friend since we already had mats.

I managed to scrape away with a win and a first round bye at regionals with a lot of luck and practice from my circle of friends. I wouldn't be half as good if it wasn't for their extremely solid play and creative decks.

And now on to my decks!

Swipe (40 cards)

Chaos Theory: Wunderkind

Event (16)
2 Account Siphon ••••• •••
3 Diesel
1 Levy AR Lab Access
3 Scavenge
2 Stimhack ••
3 Sure Gamble
2 Test Run

Hardware (9)
3 Clone Chip
2 Dinosaurus
2 Plascrete Carapace
2 R&D Interface

Resource (5)
3 Daily Casts
2 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (5)
1 Corroder ••
1 Deus X
1 Femme Fatale
1 Gordian Blade
1 Sharpshooter

Program (5)
1 Magnum Opus
1 Nerve Agent ••
3 Self-modifying Code

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

This deck has been my baby for a while, no other runner deck I've come up with feels quite as right as this one. It fits my play style so very well.Most corps normally ice up RnD heavily while keeping HQ relatively open against shaper. I take advantage of that with some siphons and a Nerve Agent to keep them off balance. It also helps to get set up quickly and the 40 card deck helps with that immensely. The Sharpshooter and Deus X are my knights in shining armor, saving me from mean ol' ice that may surprise me and/or outside my budget. Speaking of money, Dinosaurus is a great way to save some bucks while still being flexible enough for any board state. Slapping a breaker on it always is a good thing when faced with annoying big ice.

Psychout (49 cards)

NBN: Making News

Agenda (11)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Breaking News
3 Market Research
3 Project Beale

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Upgrade (3)
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (15)
3 Celebrity Gift ••••• ••••
1 Closed Accounts
3 Hedge Fund
2 Midseason Replacements
3 Psychographics
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (2)
2 Wraparound

Code Gate (8)
2 Enigma
3 Pop-up Window
3 Tollbooth

Sentry (7)
2 Caduceus ••••
2 Draco
1 Ichi 1.0 ••
2 Muckraker

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

NBN is huge right now and for good reason. Great new ice, money cards, and a shiny new agenda is just too good to pass up. This deck has two path to victory, fast advance with San San's and a massive Midseason into Psycho/Beale, both of which can work together with great effect. Money wise, I run the normal funds and sweeps with a slight twist of using Celebrity Gift to taunt agendas with Midseason in hand. For my ice the one surprise is an Ichi 1.0 to surprise any careless runner that thinks all NBN ice just friendly tells you to stop. My only gripe with the ice so far is that I'm noticing that I dislike seeing Tollbooth at times and I'm considering dropping one in favor of another Wraparound or a one-of RSVP.

Round 1: HB:ETF and The Professor

I've played against Taran many times and it's always a long match that usually ends with his HB deck playing out massive servers of ice I never want to see and his old Gabe deck running with Pheromones and Sneakdoor. Instead of criminal, he went with his new brew, a Professor deck with a focus on getting a Monolith out, something that is completely awesome. Our match, however, wasn't too spectacular unfortunately: As a runner I managed a RnD lock early and just scored as they came and my corp game was very quick with a fast Astro-train. Taran ended up doing well the rest of the day, and I hope I get to play him next week and have a more interesting game, like when he once rezzed an Archer with a 3 pointer, and won.

Round 2: NBN:MW and Andromeda

David is a fun guy to play and I've had the pleasure of facing him two or three times before. His NBN deck was brutal to my runner and got a double Scorch flatline after like 15 minutes. My NBN game was also very smooth, he wasn't able to get his breakers out fast enough to stop me and I finished with a cute combo. David had just siphoned me, leaving me with four credits with four points scored and an Astro token, I had a rezzed San San and Breaking News, Astro, and Psycho in my hand. First click I installed Breaking, scored it with the Astro token, and then installed the other Astro and Psycho'd it for two and scored for the win.

Round 3: NBN:TWIY* and Chaos Theory

The mirror match from hell that I magically won. The first game was me running against his corp. Early on I had a Nerve Agent set up and saw most of his hand, namely a pair of Scorchs and a Midseason (luckily after I scored 4 or 5 points). Immediately I went into full defense mode and worked on getting my Plascretes installed, he scored 6 points in rapid succession in response. The board was unfriendly, he needed one point and had an Astro token at the ready. I immediately kept him poor with some nicely timed Siphons and had to keep the tags floating. With him poor, I was able to hit RnD for the last few points. After the round, he explained that he made a huge misplay by not using the Closed Accounts he had in hand, a dirty win is a win nonetheless. My corp game was close, but not to the same degree. He ravaged my hand with an early Sneakdoor and sniped 4 points. After a bit I was able to stabilize and chain out my agendas for my third corp win.

Round 4: Weyland:BABW and Gabe

I ran first this match and as with any Weyland deck, I played safe and poked around when the opportunity appeared. After an access or two and seeing an Ash and Corporate Troubleshooter, I felt safe is assuming it was an ice glacier build. I quickly sniped a two pointer off RnD, a three in a remote when his credits dipped, and grabbed the winning points in his hand shortly after. My corp game was a hot mess, my HQ defenses were nullified by a quick Mimic and Yog.0 and I drew no ice that would slow that pair down (not even a single wraparound that game). At one point I landed a Midseason and got him tagged up to 13, the magic number for a 7 point Beale, but I lacked the funds and did a HUGE careless mistake, I used Celebrity Gift to show him my hand, Beale included. Needless to say he ran my hand none stop his next turn and grabbed it and it was a quick loss after that.

Semifinals: Weyland:BWBI and Andromeda(?)

My corp game was almost a repeat from the previous round, my servers were paper and he managed to win quickly while I only scored 4 points, so fast in fact that I can't recall his runner exactly, but I feel it was Andy. As the runner, I was very cautious since I have heard rumors about his deck and any mysterious deck is a deadly one. He systematically advanced his ice walls to cash in on Commercializations, but a Femme placed on the only ice on HQ made his money my own. I kept him off balance the whole match and managed to shut him out. 14-7

Finals: NBN:MN and Andromeda

The rematch. I got to run first and with no time limit and knowledge of his tricks, I was able to play a slow and controlled game. I drew almost my whole deck before I was able to get a pair of Plascretes out and an RnD Interface, but I was in luck since he wasn't too quick with the agendas. I managed to grab my last few points for the match while he had scored 6. My corp game was solid, I had my servers on lock down (even denying a Bank Job he mistakenly played a turn early with an ice swap). I was able to close it out after he Siphoned me down to 3 or 4 credits on third click and floated the tags. I was able to use a Psycho and an Astro token to score a Market Research out of hand and win it all.

I had a great time with all the amazing matches and equally amazing players! Definitely looking forward to enjoying a good breakfast while everyone else "suffers" an extra round of a great card game.

I'd love to hear anything about my decks or play to help me improve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

I agree with your sentiments regarding the overall tournament and how it was run. I honestly can't wait until Trotta's Hobbies moves out to its own store because I personally think it will outshine other stores in the immediate vicinity very easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Arnold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sup Jose! Great report. That was me from the mirror match in the third round, and after losing to you in two intense games I'm happy to see that you pulled out the overall win. Congrats!

Seems like you're very happy with your CT build, but are there any choices you're reconsidering after its tournament performance? I'm tuning up my CT deck in advance of a tourney this Saturday so I'm curious to hear about it. Do you find yourself having trouble against sentries with just the Femme (plus Sharpshooter and Deus X of course)? And what about card draw, do you feel that you see all the tools you need in a given game with just the 3 Diesel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose G
msg tools
waite wrote:
Sup Jose! Great report. That was me from the mirror match in the third round, and after losing to you in two intense games I'm happy to see that you pulled out the overall win. Congrats!

Seems like you're very happy with your CT build, but are there any choices you're reconsidering after its tournament performance? I'm tuning up my CT deck in advance of a tourney this Saturday so I'm curious to hear about it. Do you find yourself having trouble against sentries with just the Femme (plus Sharpshooter and Deus X of course)? And what about card draw, do you feel that you see all the tools you need in a given game with just the 3 Diesel?

There's only a few sentries that really give me trouble: Archer, Ichi 1.0 and 2.0, Grim, Janus, and Caduceus. To get around them I either slap Femme on one, use a one-shot program, or use dino to get Femme within a sensible range. As for card draw, yes, there are times I wish I had ProCo or the like, but I have many ways to cheat out my pieces (SMC and Test Runs) so it doesn't hurt often. I did like your Sneakdoor addition, its very... sneaky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.