Kevin Omans
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HI! I posted a thread asking for 1 vs. team games and I got a lot of great ideas. I've narrowed the list to these three. Those of you who have played all or some, which do you think would win in a bar fight?

Middle-Earth Quest vs. Fury of Dracula vs. Letters from Whitechapel

thanks!
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
In a bar fight. Middle Earth quest because it is the heaviest.

I think there is a lot of difference in these games.

I really love MEQ, but it is huge and takes a lot of time and dedication from a group of players. I would say at least three players and over two hours.

FoD is awesome as well but there is some fiddliness to it and again you want three players at least. Plus another long play time around 2 hours min. Plus very expensive to pick up right now.

LFW is a tight quick version of FOD without all the extras and with loss of the theme. Only needs two and playable in an hour.

I own all three games. I would say MEQ is my favorite, but because of the hugeness, player count and time involved I only get in a play once a year.

Fury of Dracula has a really cool theme! but also only sees play about once a year. Although it says 2 player it is really too much for one player to run all the good guys unless they are very dedicated. I do NOT think it is worth the price it is going for right now.

I only have two games of LFW in so far, but I enjoyed both and the fact that it is easy to understand and playable in under an hour means it is probably going to see more play then the other two combined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Omans
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It sounds like MEQ is a perfect fit actually. The game group I want to play it with doesn't get together very often anyway (and when we do..it's over a weakend).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Y
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to mention that the ending of MEQ is very meh. Its feel quite anti climactic and that sucks because the rest of the game is pretty sweet. There are also some quirky rules that allow a bit of meta gaming, but overall its a great game. I have it and I am sad because it doesn't get played enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MEQ is a great game. You can actually play it with two people very well (let one guy control two heroes instead of the 2player rules). Best with 3, 4 works very good too and is easier for an inexperienced sauron.
For the end, make sure to use this variant:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/479418/group-combat-epic-fin...

But be aware that this combat finale will take ~15-20 min until you are familiar with it.
Time wise its (excluding final combat) about 90min with 2 experienced players, 105min with 3 and 120-150min with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Owned both MEQ and FoD, sold the latter. MEQ for me plays faster (90 min or less) compared to FoD 2-2.5 hours. Plus, I like the theme of MEQ better, since Fury of Dracula doesn't really live up to its name, it's more "Cowardly Running of Dracula." Attacking a Hunter gives up your location (cue teleports), maybe if that attack wins you the game, but for that, you need four points prior, which can be gotten only by running and hiding. Also wasn't fan of the combat in FoD, which is strange since it uses dice and MEQ doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.