United States
Warsaw
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The SmallBox Review Series

I am endeavoring to add reviews for my collection of small box games that I have been amassing so that people can make informed buying / trading decisions for smaller / cheaper games.

Chronicle

Description

Chronicle is a trick-taking game for 3-5 players from Seiji Kanai of Love Letter fame. There is a 36 card deck of three suits 1-10 plus 6 wild cards. For each trick, players play a single card (usually) with the high card winning the trick (once again, usually devil).

The twist in Chronicle is two-fold.

First, each RANK of cards, as well as the wilds, has a unique power when played. A card might end the trick, cause a card to be taken back, allow a player to steal an ally (won card) from an opponent or even prevent a player from winning any points in the round.

Second, each ROUND has players drawing a History card which dictates what the criteria for points are in the given round. This could be as simple as winning the most cards, or it could be as tricky as combining multiple goals into a series of winning criteria.

Game play is centralized around players using their hands to manipulate the tricks that they win (or don't) in reaction to the current history card. This mechanic makes for a different strategy between every round.

Thoughts

Chronicle is a FANTASTIC game for 3 players. With this player count, you have a good idea of what's been played and has yet to be played which ties directly into what you need to do to win the current history criteria. Winning tricks and keeping track of how your current score cards might be manipulated is critical to success.

The biggest criticism that I have is that as the player count increases, the chaos increases as well. Keep the number of players down on this one and it'll sing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Chronicle... nice game night opener. Very solid for 3-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the warning on player count

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a nice little game to play and I've only experienced it with four.
I would like to try three sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.