Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Mortars and Concealed Enemy Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When a mortar fires at a hex containing concealed enemy units, is the FP of the mortar reduced by 50%, even though you are not firing at the units themselves (Area Fire)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
When a mortar fires at a hex containing concealed enemy units, is the FP of the mortar reduced by 50%, even though you are not firing at the units themselves (Area Fire)


MTRs always fire ATT, and therefore their fp is halved always.

Case K +2 To hit modifier would apply to the TH roll, however, for the concealed units.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not confuse Area Target Type (ATT) with Area Fire (AF).

Case K applies to ALL target types (Infantry, Vehicle and Area Target Type).

Using Area Target Type ALWAYS halves the FP of the Gun firing. It just so happens that MTR ALWAYS use the ATT. Mortars themselves do not fire at half FP, it's a symptom of the target type restriction.

Chuck is 100% correct. I like being explicit.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, that's what I meant, the mortar fires using Area Target Type and since it's FP is already halved, I don't suppose you would halve it again because the enemy units are concealed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
Sorry, that's what I meant, the mortar fires using Area Target Type and since it's FP is already halved, I don't suppose you would halve it again because the enemy units are concealed.


Ordnance Area Fire never halves the FP of any hit. See rule C.4 Ordnance Area Fire
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-L├ęgier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
Sorry, that's what I meant, the mortar fires using Area Target Type and since it's FP is already halved, I don't suppose you would halve it again because the enemy units are concealed.
You are right.
Actually the K TH DRM does compensate for Ordnance fire what the halving on IFT fire does (i.e. reduces the possibility of affecting the target).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tompy wrote:
Do not confuse Area Target Type (ATT) with Area Fire (AF).

Case K applies to ALL target types (Infantry, Vehicle and Area Target Type).

Using Area Target Type ALWAYS halves the FP of the Gun firing. It just so happens that MTR ALWAYS use the ATT. Mortars themselves do not fire at half FP, it's a symptom of the target type restriction.

Chuck is 100% correct. I like being explicit.


Being explicit helps decipher the wacky edge cases, so I second that emotion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.