Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The final historical scenario. After this comes more Pathfinder ACG and then probably CC:E.

To call this game one sided would be an understatement. As the playbook says, the Japanese "fell upon the Australians as they were huddled at their cooking fires."

The Allies began with most of their force near the middle of the map where the contours are closest, to concentrate while meeting the restrictions for setup. A small group guarded the end of the trail to prevent infiltrators exiting. The Japanese set up in two large groups left and right and put a decent force in an infiltration box.

The Allied plan was to fire and fall back, weaken the Japanese and eventually counterattack if possible while avoiding melee. The Japanese plan was to attack like a mongol horde while the Aussies were brewing up. And then infiltrate and kill the rear guard for good measure. Which is pretty much what they did. Without loss. Yes, you read that right. And dusk had hardly fallen.

The firing part of the Allied plan fell at the dice rolling hurdle. The keeping out of the way part reckoned without their card draw abilities. I didn't realise that there were so many cards that don't allow you to move. Surely a set of 4 revive cards, or Asset request cards, or command confusion cards ought to be worth something? Some small trade-in value like in Catan?

So have I enjoyed Combat Commander Pacific? Certainly. As I said at the start this is the first tactical game I've ever played, and the first WW2 game for a while. The narrative effect is brilliantly done and I really appreciate the chaos. It is more about reacting with what you have and less about solving a puzzle than many wargames. (Which is my way of saying that I don't like too much control in a wargame)

Thirty odd years ago I started with 15mm ancients, and have gamed that period more than any other. In that genre shooting is generally a bit of irritation while you line up your shock troops for the big push. Melee is everything. The crux is getting your people to collide with theirs in the best circumstances. In modern warfare shooting takes prominence and cover and opp fire are key. I think thats why I've enjoyed playing the Japanese so much.

So long, and thanks for reading

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.