United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott and I pulled his wife Erica into one of our almost-nightly testing sessions to get feedback on changes we've been considering. Plus, 3 may be my favorite number of players for Copper Country!

The Game Begins:

TURN ORDER:
Scott (White) (Company: Copper Range Consolidated)
David (Blue) (Company: Calumet & Hecla)
Erica (Red) (Company: Pittsburgh & Boston)

Due to our Company Cards, none of us are in direct competition for specific Production Cards in Era 1, but Erica and I will compete for Conglomerate Copper (and its unique variants) in Eras 2 and 3 to increase our Specialization Scores.

TURN 1
Scott: Plat, Capital Call, Work: Claim Float, Produce Barrel
David: Plat, Capital Call, Work: Redraw Rock, Pass Rock, Claim Barrel
Erica: Plat, Capital Call, Work: Claim Mass

TURN 2
Scott: Plat, Capital Call, Payroll: Employs near David
David: Plat, Capital Call, Payroll: Employs near Erica
Erica: Plat (TRIGGER LOCAL BUSINESS), Build Company House, Payroll: Employ at CH

4TH POOR ROCK = LOCAL BUSINESS 1: PORTAGE LAKE MINING GAZETTE (PLMG) (Refill Hand to 3 Cards at End of Turn)

TURN 3
Scott: Plat, Capital Call, Work: Produce Float, Overwork into Beyond Civilization!
Scott sends 1 Miner to Unrest
David: Plat, Survey (leave Rock on top), Work: Use Rock to Complete Barrel Claim
Erica: Plat, Build Company House, Work: Water, Woods, Winter! to Complete Mass (TRIGGER ERA 2), Redraw Rock, Claim Conglomerate
Erica draws 3 cards with PLMG.
Erica hit a Conglomerate Copper on her first Shift in Era 2 and was able to Claim it! Then she got to refresh her hand with the Gazette. Not good news for me.

8TH POOR ROCK = ERA OF EXPANSION (ERA 2)

TURN 4
Scott: Build Shaft House, Capital Call, Work: Pass Rock, Blasted!, Claim Ontonagon Boulder
Scott sends 1 Miner to Cemetery
David: Build Shaft House, Capital Call, Work: Produce Mesnard Boulder, Claim Conglomerate
Now all 3 of us have Taken a Claim with our Specialization on it!
Erica: Build Shaft House, Capital Call, Work: Hanging Wall to Complete Conglomerate, Pass Float, Pass Hanging Wall

TURN 5
Scott: Build Company House, Immigrate, Payroll
Scott replenishes his workforce with a new Immigrant.
David: Build Company House, Capital Call, Payroll
Erica: Build Shaft House, Plat, Payroll

TURN 6
Scott: Build Company House, Capital Call, Work: Collapse!, Produce Blasted!
Scott sends 1 Miner to Unrest and 1 Miner to Cemetery. His workforce is starting to suffer!
David: Capital Call, Work: Produce Pheonix (TRIGGER 19TH EVENT), Pass Amygdaloid

12TH POOR ROCK = 19TH CENTURY EVENT: SPRING THAW (We each get to name 2 Resources to Draw)

Erica: Build Shaft House, Capital Call, Work: Produce Conglomerate, Overwork into Collapse!, Claim Fissure
Erica sends 1 Miner to Cemetery
Ugh, Erica found the last Era 2 Conglomerate Copper.

TURN 7
Scott: Negotiate, Work: Produce Amygdaloid (TRIGGER LOCAL BUSINESS)
Scott convinces 2 Miners to return from Unrest.

15TH POOR ROCK = LOCAL BUSINESS 2: CALUMET THEATRE (Ready a Miner when you Build)

David: Build Shaft House, Plat, Prospect
Looking for the cards to complete my Conglomerate Claim... and I got them!
Erica: Capital Call, Work: Rock to Complete Fissure, Pass Rock, Redraw Rock, Claim Amygdaloid

TURN 8
Scott: Build Shaft House, Capital Call, Work: 2:1 Ability + Terrain Token to Complete Ontonagon Boulder, Pass Rock, Overwork into Water, Woods, Winter!
Scott sends 1 Miner to Cemetery
David: Survey, Work: Complete Conglomerate Claim (TRIGGER ERA 3)

18TH POOR ROCK = ERA OF EXPLOITATION (ERA 3)

Erica: Build Hoist House, Capital Call, Work: Pass Rock, Call in the Guard!
Erica's 2 Company Houses allow her to pay 1 Resource and avoid the Guard!

TURN 9
Scott: Build Hoist House, Capital Call, Work: Claim Native
David: Build Hoist House, Capital Call, Work: Pass, Pass, Claim Osceola, Produce Barrel
I passed up 2 6-Value Production Cards hoping to find one with my Specialization, but had to settle for a Barrel.
At this point I probably should have focused more on Copper and less on Specialization, as I felt I was a bit behind.

Erica: Build Shaft House, Immigrate, Work: Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Claim Native

TURN 10
Scott: Build Shaft House, Capital Call, Work: Complete Native
David: Capital Call, Build Shaft House, Work: Pass
I made a desperate attempt to shut down Scott's machine... and failed!

My one-use Shaft House and one-Shift Miner (Blue) couldn't stop Scott's Machine (White):

Erica: ?, ?, Work: Produce Float (TRIGGER 20TH EVENT)

POOR ROCK 25 = 20TH CENTURY EVENT: (63) HOUSE RESOLUTION 387 (Play with Production Deck Face-Up)

TURN 11
Scott: Capital Call, Immigrate, Prospect
David: Capital Call, Build, Work: Complete Company Claim!
I finally got myself some Dynamite and was able to Complete my Company Claim.
But again, I came just shy of shutting down Scott.
Erica: Build, Capital Call, Work: Complete Native, leaves Disasaster on Top

TURN 12
Scott: Capital Call, Immigrate, Payroll
David: Capital Call, Survey, Work: OUCH!
Took 5 shifts, hit 2 Disasters and found no Copper I could Produce (my hand was rather poor)!
Erica: Immigrate, Build, Work: Claim Native, Leaves Fire! on Top
Erica managed to dig through and leave a Disaster for Scott, hoping he won't Complete his Company Claim, but...

TURN 13
Scott: Capital Call, Survey, Work: Complete Company Claim
Scott was able to Survey away the Disaster and find himself a Rock to Complete his Claim.
David: Build, Capital Call, Work: Blasted!
Erica: Capital Call, Immigrate, Payroll
If Erica had a Shaft or Hoist House left, she could have boxed Scott out of Working next turn.

TURN 14
Scott: Build, Capital Call, Work: Produce Float, Produce Hurled into Eternity!
David: Capital Call, Immigrate, Payroll
Erica: Capital Call, Survey, Complete Native (TRIGGER END OF GAME)

POOR ROCK 33 = END OF GAME

The Aftermath:

COPPER SCORES
Scott: 38
Erica: 34
David: 32

SPECIALIZATION SCORES (ONLY HIGHEST GETS POINTS):
Scott: 6 = 6
Erica: 5 = 0
David: 4 = 0

FINAL SCORES:
Scott: 44
Erica: 34
David: 32

I nearly had one of Scott's Mine Sites shut down three times during the game, but came up short. Any one of them would have made a big difference.

Erica setup shop along the borders and did a nice job of keeping us at bay for most of the game, but couldn't quite keep up with Scott's production.

Scott brutalized his labor force, but it paid off for him this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
CMXDavid wrote:
Due to our Company Cards, none of us are in direct competition for specific Production Cards in Era 1, but Erica and I will compete for Conglomerate Copper (and its unique variants) in Eras 2 and 3 to increase our Specialization Scores.

Very interesting. What effect do the Company Cards have on the game -- are they public (but individual) goals? Do they set you on a specific course, give bonuses for a specific strategy, or just hint at a direction you might want to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lankton
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Company Cards have 3 public, player-specific, goals/abilities (symmetrical to the goals/abilities on all other company cards).

First, in the top left you'll find your Resource Specialization. Each time you use that Resource to Produce Copper, your Specialization Score increases by 1. At the end of the game, the player(s) with the highest Specialization Score add(s) that score to their total Copper Value.

Second, each player has a 2:1 Ability that allows you to play 2 of a specific Resource as if it were 1 of any other Resource. This allows you build a more flexible hand or make up for Resources you are lacking.

And finally, each Company Card comes with a 10 Copper Value Company Claim that requires 6 Resources to Complete (the highest Copper Value in the Production Deck is 6 Copper Value for 4 Resources).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.