Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the main rules it states if you take middle space in a 3-6 player game you get the effects of the bonus space, but I thought I read in one of the updated rules it said that you can't place a worker on the bonus space unless the other spaces have been taken. Is that true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
In the main rules it states if you take middle space in a 3-6 player game you get the effects of the bonus space, but I thought I read in one of the updated rules it said that you can't place a worker on the bonus space unless the other spaces have been taken. Is that true?

Who knows. The rules have changed so many times, I've given up. I play by the first edition rules as written, and I'll never change! Now get off my lawn, you crazy kids!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
With the second edition rules, you may always place your worker in any available space, so you would naturally want to place your worker first in spaces having the bonus. Even if you can't profit from the bonus yourself, you're allowed to place the worker in the bonus spaces, thus locking your opponents out of them.

Under 1st edition rules, you could only place the worker in the bonus space if you could benefit from the bonus and/or it was the only remaining available space for a given action - so you couldn't occupy a bonus space just to "spite" other players. This "play nice" rule has been removed.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, andvaranaut. That's correct. Essentially, the bonus is optional, but the action is not. Thus you may place a worker on a bonus action space and not use the bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
With the second edition rules, you may always place your worker in any available space, so you would naturally want to place your worker first in spaces having the bonus. Even if you can't profit from the bonus yourself, you're allowed to place the worker in the bonus spaces, thus locking your opponents out of them.

To make this clear, we call it a "first player bonus", i.e. the first player to choose a particular action always places his worker in the bonus space, and is the only one eligible to use it and get its benefits.

You may also want to consult this thread, where the new rules about the grande worker are discussed pretty thoroughly:

2nd Edition Grande Question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thomasser
United States
Bowmansville
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still hazy on bonus spaces in two-player.

The bonus spaces are normally unavailable.

Seems that using the Grande worker allows use of the bonus. If so, can two Grande share the same bonus or is the bonus given once, ie; apply the First Player priciple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayThomas wrote:

Seems that using the Grande worker allows use of the bonus. If so, can two Grande share the same bonus or is the bonus given once, ie; apply the First Player priciple?

The grande worker only allows the use of the bonus when playing Aboriculture, and only in the first edition Aboriculture (unless these rules are being changed retroactively).

Under these conditions, it can be used whenever the grande worker is placed on a plain oval (in a 2-player game, that would be once per action per year, at most). If you use the grande to take an action without using an action space, you do not get the bonus.

Jamey has just confirmed that, for all editions of Aboriculture, the Grande may no longer be used to gtet the bonus on a non-bonus space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
JayThomas wrote:

Seems that using the Grande worker allows use of the bonus.

Actually it doesn't (it used to, in some instances, but no longer). There's no way to access the bonus spaces in 2P as of now, at least without some of the Tuscany additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. To be consistent with Tuscany, the grande worker only has one ability now (no matter which expansions he's used with). His only ability (other than serving as a regular worker) is that you can place him on a full action space to take that action (no bonus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.