Kevin Myers
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter

Do you have a game that you hold as your grail game? No doubt your favorite game. You would play this every game night if given the opportunity. You bought this game with pride as you researched it, and may have even done a trial run prior to the purchase. You know this is your game and it is a blast to play as it scratches all those itches that drives you to game. But..... It never hits the table for whatever reason. Your gaming group nudges this one out every time. Maybe the number or type of players is not the right mix to make it a successful play. For some reason dust collects on the box and you just sigh ... and hope that the next time will be the gaming night that breaks the flood gates open for those wanted repeated plays.

For me..that game is Cosmic Encounter. My biggest hurdle is just the 4 to 5 players needed on game day to really make this game sing. I patiently wait for the moons to align for me to get another play in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These days it is Brass: Lancashire. It's a wonderful and rich game, but a couple of guys in my group do not like it so this can only come out if they aren't present, and that is rare. I may have to schedule a special session to have this played methinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me that is about 1/2 my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon miles
United Kingdom
liverpool
merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Your favorite game but minimal p
This would have to be Caylus for me.
Not that my group dislikes the game, rather the volume of games we have to choose from each week is large.

I should really push it more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiz-War

My usual groups are way too nice to play it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitrijs Zulenkovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) & the expansions

And I guess it's not very surprising, that it's too long and specific to see it often on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game
Love this game.
Love the deck building going during the game.
Love that you level up and get new powers (with different characters that have different powers).
Love that you use miniatures and lay tiles as you explore the world.
Love that the enemies have different powers and defeating them can be a challenge.
Love the game, just wish I could play it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has to be...War of the Ring Collector's Edition

Wish i could play more often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Eclipse

It's hard for me to find a group to play this due to it's length mostly. Hopefully, my oldest boy will be able to play it soon. Then, all will be well in my Universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont play El Grande enough as it really wants 5 (4 is ok, but not as good as 5).

For the same reason Amun-Re, again, really wants 5

Ive got a games night comin up, was gonna play one of these, but ive got 6 players confirmed.. Was gonna play Rex: Final Days of an Empire(again, dont play this enough as i think it needs 6), but we played that last time i had 6 and i like to vary the games.. 6 players is tricky, but ive realized alot of my old old games accommodate 6, so its gonna be either...

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Rogue Trooper
Warrior Knights

I love these old games, and i havent played them in like 20 years.. We recently played Classic Warlord and it went down well, so im interested in getting some of the old games replayed...

I also have the 2nd edition Talisman, im not a great fan of it, but every now and then its ok...last time was...20ish years ago...so about due another play

So, every cloud

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wiz-War

My usual groups are way too nice to play it...

Heh, luckily my group likes confrontation, so we've played that quite a bit..just got expansion also
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First one that came to mind is Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie. I would play this almost every day if it was possible. As a result of time/opponent limitations though, the game does not come out often. I do enjoy playing the game immensely every time though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes.

I love it, my gaming group does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got Dungeon Lords. Played a little solo, played the online beta version, love it. Somehow I'm not sure it'll get much table time. Ah well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really my absolute favorite game, but one I really like and want to play at least a second time would be Last Night on Earth. I played it with a coworker one time, the intro "Humans kill 'X' number of zombies by sunlight/Zombies kill 'X' number of humans by sunlight" scenario.
I played it that one time, myself playing 4 human characters and my coworker playing as the zombie faction. I completely destroyed him... By the middle of the game he had pretty much given up and was just going through the motions, saying things like "I don't know why I am even going to play this card, because you probably have some BS in your hand that will automatically win the battle."
What really sucked then was that one of my other coworkers who was excited about playing the game kept walking in only to hear my adversary complaining about how 'unfair' the game was and he became 100% put-off of the game.
I read afterwards that a lot of people thought of the intro scenario as being kind of one-sided, unless the zombies just chill out and wait for the humans to have to come to them. I told my coworker that and his response was "That doesn't sound fun at all." Doesn't matter anyway, because no one wants to play it now that they know that 'humans are too OP and zombies have no chance of winning.'

general hoth wrote:

That shouldn't even be played at all. It should be placed atop a shrine at the foot of your bed to be marveled at both upon waking every morning and prior to falling asleep every night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
RruinerR wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game
Love this game.
Love the deck building going during the game.
Love that you level up and get new powers (with different characters that have different powers).
Love that you use miniatures and lay tiles as you explore the world.
Love that the enemies have different powers and defeating them can be a challenge.
Love the game, just wish I could play it more.

I never thought I would say this about any game, because I love the social aspect of board games, but Mage Knight is wonderful to play solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass, Roads & Boats, Battlestar Galactica (can do PBF, fortunately), Dominant Species, Indonesia, ... the list goes on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favourite I don't know but I would definitely want to play more / a lot more Duel of Ages II but it's hard to get .. maybe not two but four or even six players to play with for well.. the longer the better? =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Brass, Roads & Boats, Battlestar Galactica (can do PBF, fortunately), Dominant Species, Indonesia, ... the list goes on...
Maybe we should had played games =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That has to be Letters from Whitechapel. In my regular game group, we can't get a decent mix of inspectors - there's always at least one player who inadvertently takes over the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Maybe we should had played games =P

Sweden is not far from the Netherlands...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
general hoth wrote:

Mine too sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
norcuron wrote:
Cosmic Encounter

Do you have a game that you hold as your grail game?

Quite a few really.

Quote:
No doubt your favorite game.

Nope. That would be Go. No way it's a grail.

Quote:
You would play this every game night if given the opportunity.

Again no - closest to that would likely be Bridge. Obviously not a grail.

Grails are invested with something more special than just being
willing to play them a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

general hoth wrote:

That shouldn't even be played at all. It should be placed atop a shrine at the foot of your bed to be marveled at both upon waking every morning and prior to falling asleep every night.[/q]

actually it is right there throning in my lounge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
That has to be Letters from Whitechapel. In my regular game group, we can't get a decent mix of inspectors - there's always at least one player who inadvertently takes over the team.

It's this or Mage Wars for me. I need to find a Mage Wars buddy. I have only played Letters from Whitechapel twice, once on each side. My first ever play was as Jack and I knew it was the perfect game for me. It's not that hard to get played when I do get to go out gaming. It's more that it's hard for me to get out gaming.

Anyway, my two top rated games that I have only played twice each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.