Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First and foremost I love this website and the rich experiences it has brought me since finding it in 2005.
I just wanted to start a discussion on habitual game buying and see what others have been through and made it out on the otherside.

I have in the past had regular meeting game groups and other times for whatever reason have had a lull in gaming. I found myself buying more games when I wasn't playing as much in order to force the new game to the table and make myself feel better I suppose about having the potential of another good game in my ever growing collection.

There is the other side of coin where you buy more games because you are playing a lot, this is a sneaky game buying trap. Only playing a game once or twice and then move on to the next thing. The beauty of boardgames is their staying power and should be played until they are nearly falling apart.

Moral of the story is I'm going to try to PLAY my games more instead of mindlessly buying new ones.
And have realized that that next game purchase isn't going to give me lasting happiness. But oh the smell of a new game. meeple

for more on this subject see [geeklist=55570][/geeklist] That I read a few years back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's all about the smell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, but playing an old game does not stop me from twitching every time I see The Hotness.

< - - - It's right there!

Damn you BGG! Damn you to %&@%$!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

... The Hotness.

Not for me. The Hotness has been banished years ago (along with whatever modules were on the left). Completely useless to me. And it's sooooo nice to have the full screen width for content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm with you. I am not a heavy player because I don't have a true gaming group (sad) but I've nonetheless bought over 50 games in the past year and I feel... burnt out on buying.

I have at least 10-15 games I've only played once. My wife is insisting that we don't buy any more games until we've played every game we have at least 10 times. I agree and am not fighting her on it.

For me, the hobby is more about playing than buying. I wish I could play more but am determined to explore what I have more deeply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
ericbjohnson wrote:

... The Hotness.

Not for me. The Hotness has been banished years ago (along with whatever modules were on the left). Completely useless to me. And it's sooooo nice to have the full screen width for content.

I did not know such a thing was possible. I have become enlightened (and all acrimonious traces of Hotness shall be banished, forthwith).

Thanks, Curt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Erm… how, exactly, do I accomplish this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
ericbjohnson wrote:

... The Hotness.

Geez Curt, I was just joking around. Buzz Killed.

You can turn it off here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekaccount/edit/layout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
ericbjohnson wrote:

... The Hotness.

That IS nice. I guess I can sacrifice the recently viewed list for the extra screen real-estate.

on topic...

I enjoy playing new games... part of what draws me to the hobby is trying new games. Lately, since mb, I've been unable to buy as many games, nor play as many games. Now I'm more likely to play new games before buying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Smith
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
I find the problem with not buying those games is that you always have that fear in the back of your mind that they will soon become OOP and hard to get hold of in the future

My moto is buy the games you really want (funds allowing of course) and if they sit unplayed for a period of time then not to worry about it, at some point they will get played and knowing you have them is better than wanting them but not having them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt very much like what you're saying for about my first year in the gaming hobby (Given, I'm only a few months over that). I reacted to not being able to get people playing a game by buying more games to suggest instead and impulse bought things a good number of times to do so.

I also hit the problem you mentioned about buying games in reaction to when people did want to play. This way around you trick yourself that 'Well we get X fun from playing this so if I have another game we'll have 2X fun!' - potentially true, but not if you buy mindlessly.

The 3rd problematic bit is when you react to not enjoying a game as much as you'd hoped by buying an expansion or two for it!

--

Now that I've settled in a bit with the hobby, I maintain a couple of lists in google sheets that help my kerb my spending. One is a list of games I want to buy, which started at 20 games but has got down to 12 (Not through buying, but through careful consideration and watching/reading reviews). I also have a lists of my games with ratings from friends and a rating devised from cost & #plays. When I see a new game I want it goes onto the end of the buy list and will probably only happen if it's good enough to leapfrog to the top. For expansions, a game has to be rated high enough on the other list for me to feel it's worth it. If I've only got 2 hours of play from a £80 game I no longer allow myself an expansion for it.

--

Moral of the story for me..Make everything into lists and spreadsheets and my brain makes sense of it instead of just blindly saying yes to 'shall I buy this' every time! ^^.

--

Edit: Potentially of interest, the average cost/hour of my games is sitting at £7.47. Not the greatest, but I think 6 months ago that would have been more like £10-15 and it's getting better every week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdean152 wrote:
The beauty of boardgames is their staying power and should be played until they are nearly falling apart.
When people talk about what "should" be done, they are making implicit value judgements about what they think is important. Not everyone will agree with those opinions. For example, some people value variety enough that they don't want to be limited to play the same games over and over until they fall apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Buying off the hotness is a BGG rookie thing. For most of us it is simply a phase we pass through on the way to enlightenment. Or, becoming curmudgeons. Let us not forget that many a wise recommendation-maker and reviewer have passed through that stage and emerged wiser for the experience. Of course, a few poor souls never make it out the other side. Their sacrifices are forever immortalized in the top 100.

My game buying is still impulsive, but I succumb to temptation far less often and I am definitely more selective. I am also training myself to use the trade market to satisfy my urges, converting the underplayed games from my shelf into different games that I may or may not play.

Boardgames are one of my hobbies. Regrets and remorse don't play any part. If they did, I think those would be signs that I was doing it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying new games quickly becomes coupled with selling old games for those of us with limited space and/or finances. And there is a certain amount of satisfaction inherent in looking at a game collection with a high signal to noise ratio. I've recently started logging my plays, which also helps direct my focus more towards playing than acquiring.

I do still enjoy a bargain, but a bargain isn't a bargain if it gets dumped due to lack of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lui
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here here!

Totally agree! I continue to buy games but on game day, I realize I only play a game one or 2 times before moving on to the next. I feel like I should be playing like you said, until they fall apart, and then some if it is a good game. Heck, sometimes I don't even play enough to fully learn the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdean152 wrote:
There is the other side of coin where you buy more games because you are playing a lot, this is a sneaky game buying trap. Only playing a game once or twice and then move on to the next thing. The beauty of boardgames is their staying power and should be played until they are nearly falling apart.

That's one school of thought. I aim to leave my games in near-pristine condition so that they can be enjoyed by my descendants...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
bdean152 wrote:

That's one school of thought. I aim to leave my games in near-pristine condition so that they can be enjoyed by my descendants...

But what if you descendants don't like games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
gamesbook wrote:
bdean152 wrote:

BLASPHEMY!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
bdean152 wrote:
The beauty of boardgames is their staying power and should be played until they are nearly falling apart.

I would assume that games falling apart would happen long after passing them on to descendants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome_dude316 wrote:
Here here!

Where?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
gamesbook wrote:
bdean152 wrote:

In this case, a paternity test is appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
bdean152 wrote:

Oh yes I take care of my games. For transport I put two in a grocery bag for a temporary shrink wrap of sorts and then carry them in canvas.
Also very careful with components.
I have a copy of acquire from the 60s that's still in good shape.
It was more of an expression on repeated plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Buying off the hotness is a BGG rookie thing. For most of us it is simply a phase we pass through on the way to enlightenment. Or, becoming curmudgeons. Let us not forget that many a wise recommendation-maker and reviewer have passed through that stage and emerged wiser for the experience. Of course, a few poor souls never make it out the other side. Their sacrifices are forever immortalized in the top 100.

My game buying is still impulsive, but I succumb to temptation far less often and I am definitely more selective. I am also training myself to use the trade market to satisfy my urges, converting the underplayed games from my shelf into different games that I may or may not play.

Boardgames are one of my hobbies. Regrets and remorse don't play any part. If they did, I think those would be signs that I was doing it wrong.

Exactly.
Heading some people off at the pass might help. Because bgg naturally gives you the mentality to buy buy buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One useful lesson I've been trying to force myself to obey is this: just because I like the game doesn't mean I need my own copy of it. Especially games that are best at high player counts. I can rely on other people's copies to save my money and space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a whole lot of games in the 70's and early 80's. I still have them, they represent the vast bulk of my collection. A few remain unopened. Most were never played. Now am back in hobby. Won't buy game any new games unless my usual gaming friends will play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.