Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Triggering Crossroads cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex W8er
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the previewed Crossroads cards some questions came to my mind.
What happens when you trigger a card, but you can't resolve it?
For example: Bev Russel
It reads on the card (after the trigger): "Place Bev at the school, if able."
So what if it was my turn, I control Bev, but I can't place her at the school because there are no free survivor spaces?
Ignore the card?

Another thing that makes me wonder: Sophie Robinson
What if I move a survivor and would trigger the card, but he gets bitten and dies? Does it thematically make sense to trigger it then?
... now that I wrote the question, I guess yes.
Maybe my survivor finds Sophie and (maybe) rescues her, and on the way back he gets eaten by a zombie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the rulebook, the crossroads card triggers as soon as the conditions of the card are met. So using your examples:

1) I would argue that if Bev isn't able to go to the school (ie. already full that turn), then the card doesn't trigger. However, as worded I can see the confusion and this may need an official ruling. Some may see this as an automatic Choice #2 with the school being destroyed.

2) With Sophie, the crossroads card would trigger the second the player decides to move. So as you stated, the player finds Sophie and then is bitten after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W8er
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I also think that the card doesn't trigger. If Bev can't go to school in the first place, she won't be able to burn it down or protect the children there. Makes sense to me.

2) Hmm, I'm still not sure about that. The rulebook states on 12: Note: Some crossroads cards trigger when a player performs an action. This trigger takes place after the action being taken has been resolved.
So I wondered what to do with the card when the survivor dies during that action ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we get confirmation regarding these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.