Subject: Adding the attacking rules from The New Era to 51st State? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Duong
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
I am getting a copy of 51st State via a trade, and I'm kind of just reading everywhere that The New Era is flat out better. soblue

One of the main reasons for that seems to be the inclusion of conquests/deals with other players' locations. The New Era's rules indicate that the distance for PvP conquests and whatnot follow fixed rules (3, 4, 5 for production, traits, and actions? or something like that?). On the surface, it seems simple enough to just add those rules to 51st State. Is that a good idea? I imagine The New Era was designed to account for that option, whereas 51st State was not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have played 51st State/The New Era a few times and grasp it, incorporating the new conquest/cooperation rules into 51st State is not that difficult.

In the New Era, players must place their location cards in front of them based on the number in the upper right corner with the red/blue downward facing arrow, which will be a 3, 4, or 5. These icons should NOT be confused with the black right-facing arrows that dictate the cost of the card.

In this image you will note a 5 and a 4.

The location cards with a 3 are placed on the top row (closest to your opponent). The location cards with a 4 are placed below this row. The location cards with a 5 are placed on the bottom row (closest to the owning player). So it would look like this:

Now, if you only have 51st State, you can incorporate this rule into those cards even though they don't have the downward facing arrows and numbers:

- Any card that is a production card (warehouse icon below card image) is a 3. These cards may, or may not, have the upper worker symbol crossed out. So these cards produce resources for you during the production phase, or produce resources for your opponent during the action phase if they send you a worker.

- Any card that is a constant ability (crossed out warehouse icon below card image and crossed out worker icon above card image) is a 4. Basically, these cards give the owner an ability to convert/exchange things during their turn without having to take an action.

- Everything else is a 5 (worker icon below card image). These are cards that the owner may send his own workers to in order to activate the card.

Finally, the instant action cards (blue cooperation cards and red conquest cards) now have an additional ability. Normally they are used to place cards under your faction card using the black arrow value, but now you can use them to cooperate/conquest with your opponent's cards using the red/blue arrow value.

For example, if you wanted to have a permanent cooperation with one of your opponent's production cards rather than sending them a worker, all you need to do is use 3 blue cooperation and place one of your faction tokens on that card. Then during every production phase, you will also receive the benefit. The only way for the opponent to remove your faction token is to redevelop the location into something else.

On the other hand, if you wanted to destroy one of your opponent's cards then all you have to do is come up with the appropriate conquest value of 3, 4, or 5. Then your opponent flips over the location and turns it into rubble. The owning player may use an orange brick to reconstruct their rubble into any card without paying the black arrow cost and earn 1 VP.

You will need a total of 7 faction tokens per faction for the New Era rules, but other than that you can easily incorporate the New Era rules with a copy of 51st State. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
As Robert said, it's just a question of remembering. We played with the rule before New Era was released as Ignacy had gone over it in great detail, and all it took was me making sure players made rows (as you see in the picture). Other than that, it's an easy add-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duong
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
Awesome, thanks man. I'll definitely be referring to this in the future.

Are there any cards in The New Era that deal specifically with the PvP kind of interactions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
tallergeese wrote:
Awesome, thanks man. I'll definitely be referring to this in the future.

Are there any cards in The New Era that deal specifically with the PvP kind of interactions?

You're welcome!

I don't have the game in front of me but other than using the contact cards as above to cooperate/conquer, I can't recall. But just using these additional rules significantly improves and already good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.