11 Posts

Demigods Evolution» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Demigods Rising Review // Reseña de Demigods Rising rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi! I am a Spanish gamer who have a Demigods Rising prototype. Jorge (necrofer) also has other prototype and he has made a review of the game.

Data sheet

Number of players: 2-4 (as a personal opinion, 6 is also possible, you can play 3v3, each player controlling 3 heroes.)

Recommended age: 13+.
Game duration: 120 minutes. (It obviously depends on players’ experience and on the number of players, so it can vary from 90 to 180 minutes.)

Language: English.
Price : You can participate in Kickstarter until April the 17th, which I think it is our best opportunity to get it together with the Stretch Goals at a lower Price. Best pledge in Kickstarter is Paladin Pledge (95$ with shipping costs.)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/136317723/demigods-risi...
Date: December, 2014

Introduction

In DemiGods Rising we will incarnate one of the 4 demigods and we will lead our heroes in the decisive battle against other demigods’ heroes.

In order to become the God of War, we will need to use our best strategies, skills and legendary equipment crafting wisely! We find DemiGods Rising a very complete game with very well planned rules and detailed miniatures

Game objectives

The goal is very simple… SMASH your opponents. You can play the game 1v1 or 2v2 (we think it is also possible to play 3v3.)
Two game modes
[list]
[li]Skirmish -> Last player/team with alive heroes on the board wins the game[/li]
[li]Tactic -> First player/team achieving a certain amount of tactic points wins the game[/li]
[/list]

Game components

Now let’s detail the basic game, which is the target of our review.
40 hero tokens (20 blue bordered tokens and 20 red bordered tokens.)

40 hero cards (20 hero cards x2 because both teams may own the same hero.)

6 board pieces (or 10 in Paladin pledge level), to compose the arena or the battle dungeon (the latter is at this moment in developing stage.)

10 obstacle tokens, on one side we find a rock and on the other one we find a ditch

A color rulebook and 2 more books where we find all the heroes and their skills.

108 demigod cards: 29 offensive, 29 defensive, 29 special, 8 unique, 8 recipes and 5 God of War cards.

242 tokens – 48 rage, 48 focus, 48 mana, 18 fatigue (these ones are to signalize that a hero has finished its movement this turn) and 80 moral ones.

19 dices: 12 attack, 1 opportunity, 1 moral, 1 magic and 4 initiative ones

200 condition tokens. 48 strengthening, 90 weakness, 16 knock down, 26 de postura and 20 generic ones (in the image we only show some of them picked randomly.)

40 pages to take note of the scores.

Game preparation

1) Prepare the board, tokens, heroes and cards.
2) Choose the number of players 2-1v1 / 4-2v2.
3) Choose the number of heroes, 6-9 per team.
4) Hero selection phase, there are different ways (chieftain, random, free and mirror.)

Chieftain and free modes are bound to certain conditions to have both teams balanced:
[list]
[li]6-7 heroes: no more than 3 rage, 3 focus and 3 mana users per team[/li]
[li]8-9 heroes: no more than 4 rage, 4 focus and 4 mana users per team [/li]
[/list]

5) Select victory mode.
[list]
[li]Skirmish: The team which kills all its foes wins the game. [list]
[li]2 players: with 6, 7, 8, 9 heroes for chieftain, random, mirror and free modes. [/li]
[li]4 players (2v2) 4 heroes per player for chieftain, random and free modes. [/li]
[/list][/li]
[li]Tactic mode: The team which reaches the amount of tactic points shown in the following table wins. [/li]
[/list]

When creating our team in tactic mode, we cannot exceed the number of heroes chosen even if we have spare points to do it.
6) Selecting the board
[list]
[li]Dungeon mode [/li]
[li]You may add obstacles (rocks and ditches)[/li]
[li]God of war arena mode[/li]
[li] You may add obstacles (rocks and ditches) [/li]
[/list]

7) Demigod selection. Each player must choose which demigod he will represent and takes cards of that Demigod. These Demigods are: Tactician, Attacker, Defender & Illusionist.

Once everything is in its position, you place your heroes taking into consideration their initiative, taking their tokens, markers and cards.
This point reached, we are ready to start the battle to become the God of War.

Game turns

Heroes’ right to move in a turn is determined by hero’s initiative (which is displayed in the hero card,) if two heroes, each of them belonging to different players, have the same initiative value, both players have to throw 2d6 dices, the one with the higher score starts moving.

When a hero uses all its AP, place a fatigue token and next hero starts its movement.

For example (look at the picture above.):
First hero moving would be the one with 8 points in initiative, then the one with 7 points, the 6 points one and then both players have a hero with 5 points in initiative, so players have to roll the dices to know which hero moves first.

Once a turn has finished, remove the fatigue tokens and start a new turn.

During a turn

During hero’s movement you have to check if the hero is affected by some condition, as for example, fire, poison, stunned, etc., the hero can use its AP to move, attack, use skills, etc. but… Watch your back, if you play too aggressive your heroes may be in danger. Depending on the hero class it can move in a different way and uses a different amount of AP to attack

Combat

During the combats, damage is calculated taking into consideration, dice score, base damage of the character, opponent’s defense and crit. or avoid chance. If we attack from behind we will receive a bonus to the damage. Demigod cards can also be used during a combat to turn it to your favor.

Miniatures

First of all, sorry for the low quality of the photo, I will try to upload a better one, the miniature placed on the right side of the photo is Black Wolf, the other miniature is an orc from D&D.

Miniatures’ bases are amazing, the details of the minis are impressive and they are not so big to not use them as lieutenants or something like that. I think I will use magnets to be able to change the base of the minis and adapt they to other games.

First impression (opening the prototype)

IMPORTANT!! We are dealing with an Alpha prototype, so the quality will be better in the final product. When you open the box your first words will be Oh my f***ing god!!! You will find tokens here, tokens there and some more tokens somewhere else along with a lot of dices. It is positive that we have high quality dices which will not be deteriorate if we use them properly :D.

We find each scenario on the sides of the board, one stands for the God of War arena and the other one for the dungeon.

First impression (playing the first game)

I did not need to ask my brother to test it with me, when I went into the room everything was prepared (we had read the rulebook several times.)

We started playing a 6v6 chieftain arena, we chose heroes for its image since we didn't have a preferred set of heroes.

Once everything was prepared we found that there are some support cards (could be called quick guides) and they are a must if you are not used to play this game.

We thought that every player needs a hero book to know each hero skill and… WOW we found 2 hero books in the game box!

I think skills should be in cards to have a quick access to skills, but it is not so important since you have 2 books and you can prepare your movement.

During the game we found we did not know how to do some things, so we had to go to the rulebook and check them again. We forgot to use cards, to take cards from the pile… That kind of things you do not think about.

It was our first game so… we thought BLOOD EVERYWHERE! That was a terrible mistake, heroes received attacks from behind to be so careless…

If none of the players know about the game… then rush and make everyone bleed, but if you know how to play you will play strategically, which will lead your heroes to the victory.

Another important aspect is accuracy and agility, which will determine avoidance and critical chance.

It is a pain in the a** when your opponent hit you 3 consecutive critical blows and when you have an amazing dice score… oops he avoided your attack so… This game will lead you to laugh as Nelson Mandela Muntz does or… suffer it, but remember… REVENGE!!!!

I personally feel this is a very complete game regarding rules and actions. We have to wait for the new game-modes if they are unlocked as SG in Kickstarter campaign.

If you like strategy games, this is, undoubtedly, your game!

First impression (game difficulty)

In your comments, you say you feel confused with the massive amount of tokens. Do not worry about it, you will need a few of them when playing, approximately 15 tokens will be in play when playing with all the rules.

Yeah, but not 200 tokens, when you prepare the game you pick your tokens (ones stands for passive skills, others for rage, focus and mana and other ones for states caused by skills. We will just need about 20 per player and 10 for poison, stun, etc.

About the dices occurs the same, we have a ton of them but we will use 2 or 3 at the same time, depending on the crit. chance.

Difficulty:

Is the game difficult? Yes, it is so complete it is a bit difficult to play for first time with all its features.

So, how many games would I need to learn to play? Well, personally, I would say 3 or 4 games are enough, but care, do not use 9 heroes, just play a 3v3 to be familiar with the basics of the game.

The learning of the game can be divided into three phases:

In the first phase you would learn about movement, attack and defense.
In the second phase you would learn how to use the skills.
In the last phase you would learn how to use DemiGod cards.

Can I play this game with my little son? Of course, you can teach him the game basics step by step as I have commented before and you will see it is quite easy!

First impression (implementing home-made rules)

Now I will deal with customization (new heroes, home-made rules, etc.)

Creating new heroes: Taking as reference the heroes created in the game and their skills/statistics we can easily create balanced heroes and we will also be able to create their cards. I know about a person creating a new race with new heroes... Am I wrong filgonfin? :P.
filgonfin has given me a photo of one of the characters which are being delevolped, so you can see what I am saying.

By filgonfin Thank you very much for letting me using it for the review!!!!

Creating new hero skills: I think it is quite difficult because you can create an umbalanced skill... but with patience and testing skills with the ones that are in the game you will not find difficulties (if our hero kills everyone with a skillshot...think about it, you are not God, he is overpowered.)

Game modes: Are you a fan of capture-the-flag, the king of the hill... or whatever you imagination can create? Yeah, perfect, with the rules and your additions to play that concrete mode you can make a multi-playing style game!

For example, people talking about the game in forums has asked us to test a 2v2 to make faster games, imagine you are 8 friends together and want to create a little tournament.

The game is basically a 6v6 (minimum.) Nonetheless we tested it with 2 heroes per player, game duration was shortened a lot and the results of playing 2v2 were very diverse, sometimes I won the game, other ones I lost it... We strongly recommend as a minimum a 3v3 game (1 fury hero, 1 focus hero and 1 mana hero)

This is a 4-players game, fighting 2v2 with 4 heroes per player. Personally, I think 6 people can play this game using 3 heroes per player.

Now we want to test a 3v3v3v3, 4 people with 3 heroes each one and pray the God of War to make it viable. In this mode we will know who is our friend and who wants to “kill” us.

It is possible that the board can be small if we extend it so much... but remember that the 95$ pledge includes 4 extra board peaces to make the board bigger

Use of DemiGods Rising miniatures in other games and vice versa.

DemiGods Rising minis are a bit bigger than other games minis, but the difference is not significant to use them in any game you wish.

I will upload better photos soon :D

From my point of view, DemiGods Rising is perfect to import or export minis!

Request people sent me

1 Player games

Taking into consideration the game and its strategic bases it will be difficult to make it 1-p, difficult but not impossible. If we share our ideas and test them, I personally think it will be possible, we would need to create some new rules about heroes’ behavior and what they would do in a determined situation.
For example: A mage
1) Position himself where he cannot be attacked and cast spells
2) If he can’t do it, cast a spell and protect his back to avoid a weak-spot attack
3) Etc…
Is it possible? Yes
Is it viable? Of course, we can do it together!
What will be the result of this? Tons of game styles for 1 person, or even more, why not?! Mixing our ideas with the game rules we can do a HeroQuest style game, with no master, heroes’ progress, etc.
I’m in favor of creating a DemiGods community where we can share our own ideas with this game, so if you feel you want to do it as much as I do contact me and start working on it!!

Personal opinion

o Minis’ quality
o Rule system
o Flawlessly developed strategic game
o Theme
o Expansion possibilities together with the infinite customization you can apply
o Even not said in the rulebook, you can play with few heroes in order to carry tournaments or to demonstrate your friends who rules

Negative points

-- It is hard to start playing with the complete rule-system when playing for first time (base +game + skills + demigod cards), nevertheless if you start playing step by step, you will manage +to play it with all its characteristics in few games.
-- Heroes depiction is more cartoon-like tan the ‘serious’ aspect of the minis

Having tested this marvelous game and written this review I up-vote this project.

If you have any question, feel free to ask it. Thanks for spending your magnificent time reading this review.

(translated by: Juan Gabriel Mateo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Fernando Mateo Gonzalez
Spain
Humanes de Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot David for post here the review.
this is a great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Morán Luna
Spain
Tres Cantos
Madrid
flag msg tools
Good job!!!! The review is comprehensive and full of detail. This game has a lot of quality in both design and playability. I'm already a new Kickstarter backer!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haplo mmmmmm
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys.

Fantastic Review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the review, it is very helpful. One of the things that I am most impressed about is how polished and complete the game looks even in alpha state. The game looks fabulous for a Kickstarter that's not being done by a big gaming company. It looks to me like the game may be a little complicated but that can be overcome with some good tutorials. Think Earth Reborn where you are introduced to the game concepts a little at a time. Your suggestion to just play with less heroes to begin is probably a good one.
I am very much looking forward to this one, I think it is going to be a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Humanes de Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Come on ppl!! new update with a exclusive pledge only 450u

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Humanes de Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Today new Update

new wip

63% we can do it!!!!!

New avatar that you can use on you kickstarter profile to help the proyect
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/746/267/878f94dc8634...
[/img]

here can see the collection of avatars choose your favourite
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k7xiqe5bqkh027o/HS2o-GZK89

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
6th Update:

And NEW wip hero:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marijan Floigl
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, i just wanted to add that i had the honor to meet the developers in person and that they are really great guys and how much time and effort they invested in this game is simply unbelievable, and it would be a shame not to support them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo N
msg tools
Nice review, are those prototype models plastics or resins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Humanes de Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Hi Ivo N
the miniatures of prototypes are resin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.