Alex Ringgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
I need a healer!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 small questions:

1: Are tension gained from taxes (and tariffs) lost again if the tax is repealed?

2: I'm slightly confused about exactly how the president should appoint his cabinet. In the example of how the presidents actions can be interspersed it says "An issue requiring the Special Envoy comes up and there is no Special Envoy at present. The president appoints a statesman to the office of Special Envoy before resolving the issue."

However under "The Offices" it say "In addition he must appoint the offices of Envoy, General and Chief Justice, if they are ever vacant." which seem to indicate that (at least the non-cabinet) offices must be appointed immediately which contradict the previous example.

Lastly, and this is not really a rules question more of a how is the game actually played, if the intention is that the president can wait with appointments until he needs them is it "normal" for him to do so or would you normally appoint your cabinet as the first thing before issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
talzor wrote:
I have 2 small questions:

1: Are tension gained from taxes (and tariffs) lost again if the tax is repealed?

This tension is not lifted. The idea is that the memory of the action lingers in the minds of the aggrieved and a level of trust is lost. So treat those hot button issues with care. But let me know if it proves too much in your playings.

Quote:
2: I'm slightly confused about exactly how the president should appoint his cabinet. In the example of how the presidents actions can be interspersed it says "An issue requiring the Special Envoy comes up and there is no Special Envoy at present. The president appoints a statesman to the office of Special Envoy before resolving the issue."

However under "The Offices" it say "In addition he must appoint the offices of Envoy, General and Chief Justice, if they are ever vacant." which seem to indicate that (at least the non-cabinet) offices must be appointed immediately which contradict the previous example.

The main thrust of this is that there are also non-cabinet positions to appoint, not that they must be appointed immediately. The "vacant" part is important for the General and Chief Justice as the incumbents continue from administration to administration. (Actually I think this was once all one section in the rules, but someone asked whether these three positions are part of the Cabinet.) Sorry for the confusion. I may have a look and rewrite this section.

Quote:
Lastly, and this is not really a rules question more of a how is the game actually played, if the intention is that the president can wait with appointments until he needs them is it "normal" for him to do so or would you normally appoint your cabinet as the first thing before issues?

I don't think I want to prescribe too much in this area, but prefer to leave it to the creativity and political abilities of the president, and players. Maybe a president can convince his coalition from the start that he will distribute all the offices from the beginning and whoever happens to get an issue will help him to solve it. Or maybe he doubts the level of cooperation he can get from other players and feels the need to reward them with offices to gain their cooperation. Or probably you can imagine other approaches; influence is another reward a president can bestow, for example. I'm curious to learn what schemes and approaches folks can devise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did rewrite a bit the section on appointments. I thought of one case where I would like to see the Chief Justice appointed immediately, and added that.

By the way, for those who have not read the rules, there is also the Less Negotiation variant in which offices are instead claimed by players rather than assigned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ringgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
I need a healer!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much. It's completely clear now. And can I just say that your support of this has been stellar. It's been a while since I was this excited to try a new game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh... sounds like it can't help but underwhelm now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.