Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
First off I don't often do game reviews, and when I do they are not lengthy, and don't really go into too much detail. I just give a simple and honest opinion about the game and what I like and don't like about it.
My reviews are all written on the spot, giving my opinion on games recently played through at least a few times.
Recently I got into making some of the wonderful PnP solo games I just found out about. Todd Sanders stands way out in the crowd, as least to me, as one of the best and most interesting PnP game designers. I'll probably go through and review all of his games I have put together, but figured I'd start with this one. What I really like about his games are that they are are very different, but at the same time similar in their design. Right away you can tell a Todd Sanders game from its graphic design and his great use of public domain images (I believe that is what he uses for all of his games... not 100% sure on that though). As well as his wonderful use of dice and eurocubes. I also love that he experiments with new ideas in each game, making them all unique.

anyway, on to the game itself.

Siege of Kurth is a simple card and eurocube game in which you must fend off invading forces piling into the streets of Kurth.
Simple, or I guess I should say sleek, it plays very smoothly with quick turns and simple but important decisions to be made.

The first time I played I got smashed (death, not over-runs) right before the 3rd (and final) round ended. I was playing on the normal difficulty. The second game I played was very close, but I won. I think I was getting more of the hang of it. The balance of special ability/spell use and calculated risk was more visible. The third game I had a good idea of how to beat back the forces efficiently with a smarter use of spells and life draining special abilities.

Overall when playing any game, the best end result is.. oh, that was fun, I want to play it again right now. Especially with this short and fast paced game this can be played several times in a row.

What I like about it:
Solo game (always looking for good ones to play)
Short game time, but left with a satisfying feeling.
Very smooth gameplay

What I don't like:
Well... not much. I thoroughly enjoy the game for what it is; a quick, fast-paced siege game.

I would recommend this game to anyone who is looking for a good quick, fairly light game, or anyone looking to add another solo game to their collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greatly appreciate the review

thank you very much.

and to answer your question, yes much of my artwork is public domain sourced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.