Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up!

Looking through the rules, the game seems even more light than I expected though.

I would really like to see more monster stats. From the examples in the rule book, they are not really looking that different. So right now it looks like the meat of the game is how you distribute your loot.
I was hoping for more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree, it's looking a little TOO light for me right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I was defending the mechanics until we saw the rulebook, but I'm worried as well. Feels more and more like an empty crystal glass, if that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can always make it harder. its good that its light imho. i can start with my kid earlier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Norton
United States
Gardner
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were looking for a meaty game, I think you had the wrong expectations. If that's what you're after, there are plenty of other games like Descent that can fill that role. This game is more a beer and pretzels kinda game that you can teach to and play with anyone, regardless of skill level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dunno...It's a mini collection tacked onto a light game... not a game that has minis tacked on.

For what I'll be paying, I won't get as much replay value out of it. It's the inverse of Twilight Imperium.

It's a bummer

I didn't need another KS anyways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
Thanks for the heads up!

Looking through the rules, the game seems even more light than I expected though.

I would really like to see more monster stats. From the examples in the rule book, they are not really looking that different. So right now it looks like the meat of the game is how you distribute your loot.
I was hoping for more...

The monster stats are on the web site. Some of the monsters are pretty nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Socat82 wrote:
If you were looking for a meaty game, I think you had the wrong expectations. If that's what you're after, there are plenty of other games like Descent that can fill that role. This game is more a beer and pretzels kinda game that you can teach to and play with anyone, regardless of skill level.

I was expecting a light game.
This one just doesn't look that exciting.
But if there are variable monster powers that goes beyond what has been shown so far, it might change my opinion of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, you guys are downers :P

The depth in this game doesn't come from the rules, it's going to come from the items and the decisions involved with building your character in the campaign.

If you don't like character building, then this game will be a bit dull but I'm excited to purchase loot and watch my character progress throughout the campaign.

Are the rules extremely light? Yes. Will this be a simple game to play? Yes. Are there some decently difficult decisions to be made while playing? I can see it.

That said, this isn't a brain burner game. It's a chuck some dice and have some fun with your friends game. The decisions between attacking your buddy or a monster (especially if attacking them will incur a free attack from your adjacent monsters) will be difficult and getting new gear after each mission will be a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
Socat82 wrote:

I was expecting a light game.
This one just doesn't look that exciting.
But if there are variable monster powers that goes beyond what has been shown so far, it might change my opinion of the game.

http://arcadiaquest.com/en/monsters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link Jason.
I will look at them later tonight. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Socat82 wrote:

"Beer and pretzels" games do not cost 110$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
you can always make it harder. its good that its light imho. i can start with my kid earlier

"Harder" isn't the issue. Light does not equal easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree!

For what you get the crunch does not match the price.

Meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I was just trying to decide this morning if I should buy in all the way, our cancel my pledge. The rules scream, "if you buy me, it's just for the miniatures!". It doesn't sound like a "bad" game, just nothing that I need.

I wonder if the posting of the rules will drop the total funds raised significantly, increase them, or not really have a major effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the side of 'thinking of dropping it' It's not bad looking, but I don't have the money to buy fully into this *and* get Tokaido too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point I really like the following.

- Pretty light, should play quick (i love minimizing the AP)
- WOW Raid style gameplay
- Healthy amount of loot which can create cool combos
- Campaign
- No Overlord
- Competitive
- You control a party instead of an individual

I think this will be an awesome experience and you can probably get a full campaign done in 2 game sessions. On top of that, it will look amazing on the table and I'm just a huge fan of eye candy. $100 just doesn't seem like too much for this experience for my personal tastes, especially after some winter KS where you got minis for far more money.

I can probably be talked down from the ledge (and probably a lot of other people as well) if there was another game out there that offered a similar play experience. Does anyone know of anything that's PvPvE with no overlord where you get sweet loot, has a campaign and looks fantastic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone is trying to "talk down" anyone else. If it sounds awesome to you that's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grubman wrote:
I don't think anyone is trying to "talk down" anyone else. If it sounds awesome to you that's great. :)

"Talked down" is probably the wrong phrase to use. I guess I'm just curious if there are other games out there that fill this specific niche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think having the rules in hand should change anyone's opinion of the game. I read the rules and it had all of the information that was already given to me via the video and updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thing I'm most looking forward to is the building your heroes aspect of it. It's kind of like a Diablo or WoW feel to it where you characters progress throughout the campaign and that's something I really enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does look a bit dull, especially the combat element that has monsters as pretty much neutral objects with damage shields. Ultimately though, it seems like quests drive the game, and thus if quests are balanced and interesting, the game may be as well, if not, it will fall flat fairly fast. It may just be the type of game that looks less fun than it actually plays, but certainly nothing jumps out at me as particularly exciting mechanic-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pomander wrote:
I don't think having the rules in hand should change anyone's opinion of the game. I read the rules and it had all of the information that was already given to me via the video and updates.

I had not yet watched the videos. It is a bit lighter than I was hoping, but that in and of itself is not bad. While I really enjoy the quality of CMON produced games, I think I'm just tired of their kickstarter method. It pulls at my need to own as much of everything as I can, and my wallet and head can't take it this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
It does look a bit dull, especially the combat element that has monsters as pretty much neutral objects with damage shields. Ultimately though, it seems like quests drive the game, and thus if quests are balanced and interesting, the game may be as well, if not, it will fall flat fairly fast. It may just be the type of game that looks less fun than it actually plays, but certainly nothing jumps out at me as particularly exciting mechanic-wise.

Well, the monsters will be more a factor while you try to do the PvE quests. For example, in one quest, the only way to reach the high priority target that you need to kill for the PvE quest is locked away in a corner of the map and the only way to reach him is via a portal. However, both the path to that portal and the portal itself has monsters on and around it. You'll be forced to deal with the monsters in order to reach the PvE goal. Monsters are guards in this game.

They are a bit beyond that though. You can use the monsters to your advantage in pvp combat as well. If you are able to move a monster (due to a monster reaction) you can move the monster into a spot that protects your heroes. You could also block line of sight with them or you could get the monsters adjacent to other players near you so that if they try attacking you before dealing with the monsters, the monsters will get a free whack at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.