Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course without any idea of the rarity curve and distribution curve.. this is pretty much a wild guess.

But barring any insane amount of repeat dice/cards.. I'd put my money on 23 boosters.

I can split the 8 starting heroes between the decks, so that leaves me short of 4 characters on both sides or 8 total cards.

That split also gives me 8 dice on each side, or 16 total. Leaving me 12 short on each side or 24 total.

So without expounding on the rest of my math, assuming I don't get any more repeat dice of the starter heroes (which I actually want), and I only get new heroes in every pack, since there are roughly 30 characters left sans starters, that would be 30 heroes/dice (from 15 packs) of which I can only use 4 on each side (since the starters already use 4 of 8 card slots on each side). So that leaves me short by 8 dice still on each side.

Since past the 15th pack there's no way I don't get repeat dice, I only need to buy 8 more packs which should round up my 2 tourney decks with whatever repeat dice that come with it. That's a total of 20 dice on each side and a lot of leftovers.

So that's 23 boosters. Maybe 25 just to make it a good looking number. Note that the earlier I get repeat dice, the less packs I actually have to open -- the flip side is what if all I get are repeat dice (15 Mjolnirs anyone?)

But if somebody can come up with better math I'm all ears. Apologies if my explanation seems rushed, I'm typing this on my phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't you just buy 2 starters? Do the starters have enough dice to hit 20?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to find a nice balance between expanding the collection and utility. And yeah, 2 starters still put you short of 4 dice on each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:
Trying to find a nice balance between expanding the collection and utility. And yeah, 2 starters still put you short of 4 dice on each side.

If only we had hard evidence for how rare the different rarities were. Then we could do real math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but if you want a friend to join I think you need a second starter for the basic dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Yes but if you want a friend to join I think you need a second starter for the basic dice.

The starter set has enough action/sidekick dice for 2 player - most folks planning on 2 starters have plans on playing 3 or 4 player (for which there are no official rules - yet)... What the starter doesn't have is enough hero dice for 2 tournament strength squads (8 heroes / 20 dice per player), hence this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Adair
United States
Fayston
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm buying 2 starters and 20 boosters to start.
Then I'll see how it goes or if I'm missing something.

I figure you kind of need the 2 starters to play even a basic game.
Like if I want Captain A and Ironman I only have 2 dice for him with 1 starter.
If my son wants Ironman too then now we're down to 1 die each.
With 4 dice I think you have more initial options there.
Then eventually boosters with the uncommon 8 starter characters will up the dice count.

Not really buying 2 starters for more than 2 player play.
While that maybe cool for some I prefer the head2head nature.
But the extra sidekick/action dice will allow for 2 games to happen.

I figure 20 boosters is about right and I'll probably only open a couple at a time.
Or really my kids will open them for good behavior days over the summer.

Kind of wish Wolverine was one of the 8 starters.
But maybe that's WizKids hook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Starters + 20 boosters sounds a reasonable starter setup... I've gone for one starter plus a booster box (60), so I'm hoping I'll hit double uncommons for at least a few of the starter heroes to bring up their dice counts... I guess we'll see how it works out.

I like the idea of opening the boosters bit by bit... Delayed gratification to get a bit more fun out of the whole blind booster things... I was considering opening 2 a day & doing a daily blog of what I get :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go with 2 Starters plus 2 booster boxes of boosters... I don't know how many boosters that will be, but I totally figure it will give me enough dice and cards to offer me some variability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
buck fuddr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
going off of the wizkids/wotc rarity ratio. im sure buying a gravity feed (60) will net you at least 1 of the UR, a 4th of the rares, all but 1 or 2 of the uncommons and multiples of the commons.

Ill just go and do that. because 3 or 4 (character max) dice of one set is enough for full use of all cards. and 6-8 if you want a 2 player set.

anymore dice ill give to friends to help their starter set/collection.

seeing that the common and the ultra rare version of a character use the same dice pool. you would then pay for the card you need. and since the packs are $1 the rarity of buying that one card comes down to tournament selection. If everyone plays uncommon deadpool, hes a $10 card now. even tho rare deadpool is $8.

I really hope the prices don't get that high. i really am excited about playing this game.

Oh and as far as buying 2 starter sets, why not just buy 15 packs instead? now your games will be more unique and not the same fight every... single... time. I mean if 3-4 people would play sure. but make them buy some packs to add to your collection haha. Im very content with the 1 dollar price, because normally a high brand of this caliber they would/could easily do $4 dollar packs. and that would turn alot of us off. But yeah one dollar is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MirrorsNight wrote:
I'm going to go with 2 Starters plus 2 booster boxes of boosters... I don't know how many boosters that will be, but I totally figure it will give me enough dice and cards to offer me some variability.

It'll be fascinating to see how close to a full set you get with that buy in... I'd say based on what has been said by the designers you'll be very close, maybe just a bit of trading required to get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.