Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love combining expansions into the base game box... but that means it's harder to broadcast all the expansion goodness. I typically bring a crate of games to game nights, and people will often look through the crate when I'm off somewhere else, either playing a different game or chatting or something.

So I struggle with whether I should bring the expansion box or not. On one hand it just takes up space if I've already got the game in the base box, but on the other hand it does prompt people to say "Ooooh, you got the expansion? Let's play!" I've often thought that expansions should come with some sort of cling (i.e. a not-sticky sticker) or box wrap that you can add to the base game to show that it includes the expansion inside.

All of which is a rather lengthy lead up to my main question. When I got the expansion I noticed that the box height and width, but not the depth, match the box sizes of the base game. Which makes me wonder if I can get away with putting the expansion's short box top on the base game's standard bottom à la Waterdeep. What do you think? Good idea or bad?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
That is a nifty idea.

Alternatively, I just combine my games into the expansion box if at all possible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I love combining expansions into the base game box... but that means it's harder to broadcast all the expansion goodness. I typically bring a crate of games to game nights, and people will often look through the crate when I'm off somewhere else, either playing a different game or chatting or something.

So I struggle with whether I should bring the expansion box or not. On one hand it just takes up space if I've already got the game in the base box, but on the other hand it does prompt people to say "Ooooh, you got the expansion? Let's play!" I've often thought that expansions should come with some sort of cling (i.e. a not-sticky sticker) or box wrap that you can add to the base game to show that it includes the expansion inside.

All of which is a rather lengthy lead up to my main question. When I got the expansion I noticed that the box height and width, but not the depth, match the box sizes of the base game. Which makes me wonder if I can get away with putting the expansion's short box top on the base game's standard bottom à la Waterdeep. What do you think? Good idea or bad?


That is what I do with my Pillars of the Earth when I bring it places. Works great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rocksnrolls wrote:
That is what I do with my Pillars of the Earth when I bring it places. Works great!
I'm just a little worried about the half depth top coming off... but I've got some elastic bands that I'll use to make sure it stays on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. I generally carry my stuff in bins, laying flat, so I don't have to worry about the lid falling off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Pillars I simply put everything into the expansion box.

For Tzolk'in, if the lid stays on the expansion, why wouldn't it stay on the base game box? Why would physics work differently?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
For Pillars I simply put everything into the expansion box.

For Tzolk'in, if the lid stays on the expansion, why wouldn't it stay on the base game box? Why would physics work differently?
The expansion is only half the depth, so the lid doesn't have as much grip on the box... which isn't an issue for the expansion box as there is a lot less in that box. But when you use the shorter lid on the box with the full game in it, I'm afraid it won't hold on well. Also, I store (and transport) my games vertically.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you store it on its side and there is room for the lid to come off, then yeah, don't do that. If you transport it on its side in a snug container like a backpack it shouldn't matter. In a loose container like a non-full box, it could potentially pop open, but I would expect the same from basically any game. I can't speak too much of side-storage or side-transport because I never do it. I've seen too many boxes gradually open on a shelf from people placing and removing neighbors, and then all of a sudden you have a few hundred game pieces on your floor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
then all of a sudden you have a few hundred game pieces on your floor.
Never had a single game come open and I've stored them vertically for years now. But why aren't you bagging all your bits anyway?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
You could fit everything in the expansion box if you wanted to. It's actually possible.
That's a lie! It barely fits in the base box and that's twice the depth.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
TwentySides wrote:
then all of a sudden you have a few hundred game pieces on your floor.
Never had a single game come open and I've stored them vertically for years now. But why aren't you bagging all your bits anyway?

I don't store my games like this. Stores and bars sometimes do. I wouldn't store my games on their side in the same way that I wouldn't leave bits unbagged. Both seem crazy to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.