Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Orr
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I've been talking with a local game store about starting a board gaming group in Woodbridge--as far as I can tell, there are no groups on the south side of the DC area right now.

If you're interested, how would you feel about starting out with Sunday afternoon meetings a couple of times a month? The store in question is not open late every night, and already has other events scheduled on the nights when it is open.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coyne
United States
Fort Worth
TX
flag msg tools
Gamer Dad
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott, I live in Bealeton and couldn't guarantee perfect attendance, but I would definitely be interested in coming when I could. What board games would you be interested in playing most? Are you looking to start a group geared towards more hardcore and hobby games? Or simpler, light games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Orr
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Personally, I'm a fan of games that feature serious strategy, though plenty of easy-to-learn Eurogames fall into that category. I do also enjoy a lot of the longer, more complex games (I just bought Eclipse, after playing it once last year), but those can be harder to organize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coyne
United States
Fort Worth
TX
flag msg tools
Gamer Dad
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, I think we are on a similar page. I used to own Eclipse, but the set up time for a 2 player game (the wife and I) wasn't really worth the experience. Although I do love the game. Right now I'm mainly playing Space Alert, Bruges, 1775: Rebellion, Dungeon Petz/Lords, and Vinhos. Feel free to check out my game collection on BGG to see what I play. My 'play counts' aren't updated at all, but my heart is for strategic games. Count me in for the group, and I will come as often as possible as long as there is advanced notification for the group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MTKnife wrote:
as far as I can tell, there are no groups on the south side of the DC area right now. Scott

We're sort of west of DC, but outside the Beltway. We meet on Saturdays (about 12:30pm-8:00pm) at Comics & Games in downtown Fairfax, unless the tables are taken up by one of the tournaments the store hosts. In those cases, we usually get table access by 3:00pm.

We mainly play Eurogames (Power Grid gets played at least once virtually every week), but delve into other games like Eclipse, Battlestar Galactica, etc.

You're certainly welcome to join us, Scott.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Orr
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I think I'd still like to start a closer group, but I might well come up and join you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike E.
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Scott. I'm just up the road from you in Lorton so I'd be interested in discussing getting together a couple Sundays a month. I do mainly war games and other offerings from GMT, but haven't yet played most of the games in my collection (see my games on my geek profile)-- any interest in any of these? If so, I'd be happy to learn to play along with you. Or do you have some suggestions on games you'd like to play?

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Orr
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I started gaming with wargames, and I even buy one from time to time, though most of my tabletop gaming is Eurogames. I haven't played any of the ones you own, but I'd be interested to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Orr
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
For anyone who's interested, I think I'm going to try it next Sunday, March 30. The location is Flashback Comics in Woodbridge, at 3062 Ps Business Center Dr. I'll call them tomorrow to confirm, but I was thinking about 1:00pm (they're open until 5 or 6 that day).

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coyne
United States
Fort Worth
TX
flag msg tools
Gamer Dad
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd come but I don't get off work til 3 and it would take me an hour and a half to get there. Can't make it this time, maybe next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike E.
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think I can make it this weekend, but still would like to meet on another weekend to get something started. Scott, given what you've written, I was wondering if you might like to have a go at C&C: Napoleanics. I took the plunge and ordered a copy and it arrived this week. A while back, my VASSAL buddy and I played the heck out of C&C: Ancients and we had a lot of fun with that. It's not overly complicated, and just a question of getting down some of the fire and movement rules for the various units. I'm also interested in hearing about some of the games you like as I'm willing to try most anything, though I have to say I'm not too wild about space exploration games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Orr
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Well, why don't we try for the next weekend? That is, Sunday, April 6.

Sure, we might be able to get together for something--do you know where I could find a copy of the rules, or can they be taught quickly?

As for space exploration games--or exploration games in general--I'm a longtime fan of the Civiliization PC game series. I'll grant though that I've seen few board games that really capture it well. Eclipse does so, and Mage Knight is also pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Orr
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Eldard wrote:
MTKnife wrote:
as far as I can tell, there are no groups on the south side of the DC area right now. Scott

We're sort of west of DC, but outside the Beltway. We meet on Saturdays (about 12:30pm-8:00pm) at Comics & Games in downtown Fairfax, unless the tables are taken up by one of the tournaments the store hosts. In those cases, we usually get table access by 3:00pm.

We mainly play Eurogames (Power Grid gets played at least once virtually every week), but delve into other games like Eclipse, Battlestar Galactica, etc.

You're certainly welcome to join us, Scott.

I've been busy or forgotten the last two Saturdays, but if things work out I'd like to come this time. How can I know if you're going to start at 12:30, or at a later time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Knipple
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
We have a group of five wargamers in Alexandria who meet twice a week (Thursdays and Saturdays). We play mostly WW2 with an occasional something else (Seven Ages being the non-wargame most often played). Playing Battle for Normandy right now and getting ready to start 3R next Saturday. Anyone interested, let me know and I can give you my address.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Orr
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
That sounds interesting.

I just talked to the store in Wooodbridge, and now they're wanting $5 to rent a table, even on Sunday afternoon, when they're already open....I'm not sure how many people are going to go for that, and so unless we can find another venue, maybe the groups in Fairfax and Alexandria are the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kellough
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I live in Woodbridge and would be up for a board gaming group. I hear the Wegmans in stonebridge shopping center has big open seating for their cafe upstairs. If one or more people buy a drink or snack, I can't imagine them getting annoyed with our presence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bunch

Triangle
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving to Triangle next month and looking for possible game groups to join up with. Long time RPG/Wargamer, but will to give anything a chance! Severely going through game withdrawl!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Orr
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Patrick, drop me a note--you'll be only a couple of miles from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.