Subject: A quick tool to set up a game without an element of choice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Yorke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
For a bit of fun I've come up with a really simple web application that will randomly pick a villain (or villains) and give each player a hero to play the game. I've fond this is making me pick up more of the hero decks and stopping some of my friends from just wanting to play with the same 3 heroes over and over.

If you want to use it when you play I've put it online at http://sentinels.dangerliam.co.uk/ and there you can select which expansion sets you have and even which game mode you want to play, tell it the players names and then it will make your selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Good looking tool Liam, nicely done.

One thing I noticed quickly though is that if you select Vengeance Mode, it looks like it is putting any villian into the Villian slots, and not just the Vengeance villians.

Or it could be that Kismet is just accidentally identified as a Vengeance Villian in your tables.

Good work though.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple notes:

1) With two players, it only assigns two heroes. It should probably assign each player two heroes

2) Vengeance villains are getting selected for normal mode, and normal villains are getting selected for vengeance mode.

3) The "Base Set" checkbox is required, but technically Vengeance is a stand-alone game.

4) Perhaps make the "Normal" radio button selected by default?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
3) The "Base Set" checkbox is required, but technically Vengeance is a stand-alone game.

Actually any two expansions could be considered a "stand-alone game" for less than 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Isenhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!

I noticed that you've got a checkbox for "mini expansions" - Other folks might have the same problem I do: I picked up some of these, but not others. Having each person check which heroes, villains, and environment mini-expansions (and promos!) they have might take a lot of clicking.

Also, one suggestion is to include an easy way to say "re-randomize": right now clicking on "Generate a New Game" takes you back to the data entry page. I'd like an option to just get a new random assortment with the same data I already entered.

Looks good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Yorke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I’ve had a quick has on the app and made a few quick fixes.

1) Vengeance mode now only selects Vengeance villains.

2) Base Set doesn’t have to be selected.

3) Made Normal clicked by default.

As for other things I’m gonna try and work out the best way to work it for people who only have some Mini-Expansions. I’ll throw up a button that will allow you to re pick without having to put your info back in aswell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoot McToot
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's really nice Liam, I hope it works on my iPad

What would be useful would be the option to add another random Hero to a player, if you happen to be playing with 2 players for example and one or both of you want to take 2. I appreciate you could of course just generate the pair again but it would be nice in main app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Yorke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
So it's been a long old time since this was updated but I recently got hold of all the promo cards for the game and so I updated the app to allow for these to be added.

Now admittedly there is the same problem here as there is with the mini-expansions but there would just be too many check boxes to have to put in place for all the options, so please bare in mind this is a very basic tool and there are probably better ones out on the web but if your a completionist and your looking for a quick game randomly set up then this is a great option.

Also the promos do include the few cauldron promos for SOTM characters, so if you get one of those you may have to swap out for the none promo or alternative promo card.

A tiny update to go along with the promo cards and villans set being added is that the tool also randomizes the play order from the names that you have entered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.