13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games like Alhambra? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seema Khan
msg tools
Hi,

My kids (ages 11 and 7) and I played Alhambra yesterday with some friends. The general consensus was just meh. I'm thinking that's a game we could try out again in a couple of years and see if it is better received. Keeping in mind that we didn't like this game much, what other games are similar enough that we might want to wait on. I have such a big wishlist that I need to prioritize.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute. You're asking for advice on games you won't like because they're similar to Alhambra which you didn't like but you didn't give any reasons why you didn't like it?

There is no way you're going to get a useable answer out of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
If you tell us what was not liked about Alhambra and what games you guys do like, then maybe we could come up with some recommendations (positive or negative).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yeah this is a very confusing request. So you like Alhambra but your kids didn't? Or no one liked it? And why do you think reactions will be different in a few years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you look for something similar to something you don't like?!

Alhambra looks very meh to me too though. I bought it cheap and really have not much making me want to bust it out. I think it's probably from having gotten much deeper into gaming since a few years back when I was more than happy with Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seema Khan
msg tools
Wasn't trying to be confusing.

I just thought Alhambra was okay and so did my kids. Part of the issue was that it was not explained properly to us. We played with some friends that said they knew it, but didn't really explain it well in the beginning and kept popping up new rules in the middle of the game. I haven't been playing games long enough to say why I didn't like it other than it seemed a bit long, a bit confusing and I couldn't figure it all out. But it was one of those games that I eventually walked away from cause it didn't seem interesting/cool enough to learn to figure out.

My question is two fold. I want to know what games are like Alhambra so I don't get them for a while because my wishlist is long. Also, if someone recommends a similar game that we love, it might mean that I should reconsider this game sooner. I do think it is a game I want to play again with my kids at some point because I know we did not play it right this time. KWIM?

Clear as mud?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seema Khan
msg tools
Some games we like:

Ticket to Ride
Hive
Dominion
Dungeon
Niagara
Qwirkle
Forbidden Island
Castle Panic
King of Tokyo
The Magic Labryinth

We are new to this. I have a lot of games that are still new..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Erwin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game of Alhambra is a bit dull but when you add the expansions, it becomes a great, addicting game. Best deal is to buy the Alhambra Big Box so that you get all 5 expansions. Each expansion has four mini game mechanics. So of the 20 mechanics, we leave out about 3 to 5 of them each game to keep it fresh and somewhat manageable. Tons of fun and easy once you know all of the simple rules. Drawback is that games take 3.5 to 4 hours.

But if you want something different than that to play with your kids, I suggest Stone Age and maybe Aquaretto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for your un-enjoyable experience. Next time, MAKE SURE the instructor knows now to not only play the game but teach it as well. Sometimes the teacher can make or break our experiences with board games, marring up our exposure to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveO Suave
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you didn't care for Alhambra ... It's one of my favorites!
I agree that adding some (but not all!) of the expansions gives
it a little more excitement.

In terms of other games of similar length and depth,
here's my list:

http://steelaraza.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/daves-top-ten-boa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you like about Alhambra?
- the tile laying aspect: Carcassonne
- the currencies aspect: Money!
- just that´s a euro game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd say one type of game you might not like (if you didn't like Alhambra) are non-confrontational / lightly interactive euro games that mostly take place on individual player boards / don't have much of a shared play area.

Some possible games you therefore might not like:
Castles of Burgundy
Puerto Rico
Dominion
7 Wonders
many others in this category

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonlight123 wrote:
Part of the issue was that it was not explained properly to us. We played with some friends that said they knew it, but didn't really explain it well in the beginning and kept popping up new rules in the middle of the game.

This will probably make ANY game non-enjoyable.

I (my friends, kids and gaming group) really like Alhambra. But we got it properly explained, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.