Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if it's possible to play this game in the car where one passenger does all of the reading, and the driver and other passengers work together to solve the case.

It seems like it's entirely text/word based so this may be possible, much like a choose your own adventure book would be possible in this way.

Thanks for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
I'm curious if it's possible to play this game in the car where one passenger does all of the reading, and the driver and other passengers work together to solve the case.

It seems like it's entirely text/word based so this may be possible, much like a choose your own adventure book would be possible in this way.

Thanks for your time.

Yeah I think that would work perfectly fine. Just bring a notebook so people (except the driver!) could take notes. But the driver could definitely be involved in helping solve the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, and there's no reason the driver couldn't also play. The clues themselves don't reveal anything special. There's no need for a GM-type figure to run things.

Sometimes people will need to look at the map, directory, and newspapers, but those can be freely passed around the car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
All workable, but 2 drawbacks:

1. I'm one of those people who get sick if they try to read in a car - best check your readers aren't queasy.

2. Driver is liable to get so intrigued that he might drive off the road whilst solving clues!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm used to agreeing with Johnny Dollar on just about everything, but I have a slightly different response. Intellectually it would be possible but the note taking component is pretty important. The passenger would be doing the heavy lifting there. Shifting around the notebook, booklet and map - which would have to be unfolded, held out and then put back away - might be a bit of a hassle. If possible I would recommend a trial run of a small driving distance before I considered this game as the major diversion for a long trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly agree, but there are some visual clues in the books and newspapers, and you sometimes have to scour the map for locations. The driver wouldn't be able to participate in those aspects. Other than that, and your own susceptibility to carsickness when reading, it should be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
Beloch wrote:
drawback:
.....sick if they try to read in a car - best check your readers aren't queasy.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
Shifting around the notebook, booklet and map - which would have to be unfolded, held out and then put back away - might be a bit of a hassle.

Yeah: almost as bad as taking out a roadmap to find out where you're going.....

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:
Shifting around the notebook, booklet and map - which would have to be unfolded, held out and then put back away - might be a bit of a hassle.

whistle
Provided you change which destination you're traveling to every five minutes and put it aside each time to read a written description of each location that you travel to, making notes so that you can use buried clues within those descriptions to solve a murder based on that information...yes, it's about the same as using a road map.
whistle

Andrew, based on this information you've provided here, I am praying that you have a GPS in your car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
amacleod wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:

whistle
Provided you change which destination you're traveling to every five minutes and put it aside each time to read a written description of each location that you travel to, making notes so that you can use buried clues within those descriptions to solve a murder based on that information...yes, it's about the same as using a road map.
whistle

Andrew, based on this information you've provided here, I am praying that you have a GPS in your car.

I don't; but my wife and I do an awful lot of rural driving in which I frequently act as navigator while my wife does the driving. Ergo, the map is constantly being consulted.

All of which goes to say that, IMO, playing SHCD while in a car (either as passenger or driver) should be a piece of cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

Thanks for all of these replies.

The car sickness may be the deal killer on this but I'm hoping to give it a try. If I'm successful in making this happen, I'll post my experience here to let everyone know how it went.

Now, I've got to place my order to pick up this game. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit surprised by these replies. I really don't think this is a good idea. Yes, it's mostly reading, but that reading often takes the form of scanning for minute details or re-re-re-reading things as new information comes to light.

Additionally, it's quite a difficult game. The cases are tough enough when you have all the information laid out neatly in front of you. If you're concentrating on driving at the same time, you'll miss a lot of clues, as well as much of the fun.

Sherlock is a great game. It deserves to be saved for a time when you can give it your full attention. For a comparable experience that's much better suited to playing in a car, I'd pick up some old ICE Sherlock Holmes gamebooks instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
E Decker wrote:
old ICE Sherlock Holmes gamebooks

Oo I've never heard of those. And I'd thought I had seen a fair bit of Iron Crown. Nice one. Spose they're as rare as hens teeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
I'm a bit surprised by these replies. I really don't think this is a good idea. Yes, it's mostly reading, but that reading often takes the form of scanning for minute details or re-re-re-reading things as new information comes to light.

Additionally, it's quite a difficult game. The cases are tough enough when you have all the information laid out neatly in front of you. If you're concentrating on driving at the same time, you'll miss a lot of clues, as well as much of the fun.

It depends... if it were one passenger and one driver I wouldn't recommend it.
If it were 3 passengers and a driver, and the driver didn't mind being a bit distracted, but also having the opportunity to participate in the discussion and hear the story unfold, then why not, might make for a fun trip.

I personally can't read in the car, but if other passengers were doing the reading, I would enjoy working through the mystery with the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
If it were 3 passengers and a driver, and the driver didn't mind being a bit distracted, but also having the opportunity to participate in the discussion and hear the story unfold, then why not, might make for a fun trip.

I probably should have said this in my initial comment but this would be the exact player count in my case. 3 passengers and 1 driver.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

I probably should have said this in my initial comment but this would be the exact player count in my case. 3 passengers and 1 driver.

Thanks.
Ah, this might change my feelings, then, making them more in agreement with Johnny Dollar's and Andrew's. With two non-drivers working together it might well make the paper shuffling more manageable.

As a side note, I do think the comment above is interesting that the proper context for this is a tabletop, and that the cases should be rationed for the ideal context in which they can be savored. It reminds, me, too, that there are so few cases with no replayability; once they're done, they're done. Maybe one day the current expansions will be reprinted in English...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
As a side note, I do think the comment above is interesting that the proper context for this is a tabletop, and that the cases should be rationed for the ideal context in which they can be savored. It reminds, me, too, that there are so few cases with no replayability; once they're done, they're done. Maybe one day the current expansions will be reprinted in English...

Thanks for this. It has been a thought going through my head as well. Save it and savor it so to speak.

One approach I'm considering is to play a partial game on the tabletop before we head out on our trip (a day or two before). The idea being that we could then discuss it on our drive and then play more at the hotel that night. That's not what I originally had in mind but it may be the right call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:

Thanks for this. It has been a thought going through my head as well. Save it and savor it so to speak.

One approach I'm considering is to play a partial game on the tabletop before we head out on our trip (a day or two before). The idea being that we could then discuss it on our drive and then play more at the hotel that night. That's not what I originally had in mind but it may be the right call.

That's the best idea I've heard yet, actually! Wil, that could make the case even more fun.

Umm....can I come, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
That's the best idea I've heard yet, actually! Wil, that could make the case even more fun.

Great to hear as it sounds like this is the right call. I'm going to go with this plan. Looking forward to it.

Brother Jim wrote:
Umm....can I come, too?

Ha! It won't really be all fun and games though as the second most popular conversation will be "are we there yet?"

On a fairly similar topic, there was recent chatter in a Tucson guild on BGG about how great it would be to have a bus with rotating chairs and tables that could take a group of people to BGG Con. Sort of a Bus Con before the show. That would be quite an experience. Maybe we're on to something here. Too bad the train system doesn't achieve this goal, or at least it doesn't in the southwest.

Thanks again for all your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Montreal-Columbus (Origins), we played Sherlock Holmes, the big part is the driver was playing too. Same thing happened while I was going to Boston (PAX) and Indianapolis (GENCON).

It works great, and I will surely do it again and again this year and each time I will go to a convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Isaak
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rob nawa wrote:

Oo I've never heard of those. And I'd thought I had seen a fair bit of Iron Crown. Nice one. Spose they're as rare as hens teeth.

It depends on whether you feel the need to track down a hard copy, these are quite old.

If you're willing to go for a low fidelity PDF then take a look here:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/gamebooks#Sherlock+Holmes+Solo+M...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I played this in the car on the way home from GenCon and the hours just flew by. I was the only person who had the superhuman ability of reading in the car without getting motion sickness so I read for about 3 hours while I and everyone else pontificated the case. The other person in the car had the map and was taking notes.

I thought it was awesome and we would have kept playing but my throat was getting sore from reading so we decided to stop and solve the case. It was great to get everyone's insight on things they picked up, (spoilers for case #1 When the munitions magnate says "Auf Wiedershen" my friend said, "Why is he speaking German all of a sudden?" and when Lord Raglan puts a cigarette into his cigarette holder, I screamed, "The pinched edges" but nobody else ever used a cigarette holder so they had no clue.

Great time had by all but I think it requires 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Heitman
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
I have to weigh in against. While you'll use the map in most games, there are a couple of cases in particular that leverage it heavily. If you happen to be playing one of these cases in the cramped confines of a car, I think you'll be disappointed by the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.