15 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: EO awakening in adventure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played game today and got a situation. I have adventure, monster that locked yellow dice, one of monsters task is activate clock (for 3 hours, of course). When i complete the monsters tasks (not all adventures tasks) and activate clock the EO is awakening. What happens with yellow dice, does it been unlocked or no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's been awhile since I last played. From memory, once you complete the tasks on that monster, the dice is unlocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The die is not unlocked until the end of the resolution phase, where you would collect your adventure rewards or suffer failure penalties.

I'm not sure why advancing the clock would awake the AO, because awakening effects such as adding a doom token would typically be done at the Midnight phase, which is after the player's turn. So you wouldn't unlock the die until your turn was essentially over, but then AO would awaken after that so the die would be available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you defeat a monster that locks a die, the die is released at the end of your turn.

But as kungfro says, midnight does not occur during anyone's turn -- even if the clock is advanced to or past midnight during your turn, midnight still happens after your turn.

So in this case, the die is unlocked, then the Ancient One awakens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry, mans, i has been played with house rule, thats add 1 doom token each midnight, forgot about that. But now i have official sittuation:
We have an adventure card with monster that blocking yellow dice and the terror effect "add 1 doom token for terror symbol". What happens with yellow dice if:
1) investigator kills monster with dices, than terror effect started, last doom token has been added, EO is awakened?
2) investigator kills monster with spell, than terror effect started, last doom token has been added, EO is awakened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Without checking the rules, I'm pretty sure the die is released at the end of your turn as long as you defeated the monster before the Ancient One awoke.

(As for your previous question, even without your house rule that situation could arise, because there are effects in the game (or maybe in the expansion, I forget) that add a doom token at midnight even before you draw the new Mythos card.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Without checking the rules, I'm pretty sure the die is released at the end of your turn as long as you defeated the monster before the Ancient One awoke.

The rules says:
"If the Ancient One awakens during a player’s turn, the player immediately proceeds to the Clock phase of his turn."
The monster has been killed, but the adventure isn't complete. So, i think, that in first situation the dice is stay locked, because investigator must receive it with rewards for complete adventure, but in the second situation the dice will be unlocking, because spell will kill monster immediately... Not sure about all of this, need advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but advancing the clock should not automatically awaken the AO, even with the extra doom token houserule.

We play with it as well, and apply the Midnight effect of adding an extra doom token only when Resolution phase is over, after the Adventure has been passed or failed.(and before the next Mythos card is drawn)

If a terror effect adds a doom token, however, and it is the last doom token to be added, then the AO awakens immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
No, but advancing the clock should not automatically awaken the AO, even with the extra doom token houserule.

We play with it as well, and apply the Midnight effect of adding an extra doom token only when Resolution phase is over, after the Adventure has been passed or failed.(and before the next Mythos card is drawn)

If a terror effect adds a doom token, however, and it is the last doom token to be added, then the AO awakens immediately.
what difference beetwen
a) complete the monster goal that forces the clock to go forward+add last doom token,
and
b) add last doom tokken because of terror effect?
I know, midnight doom token is house rule, but effect is similar to terror, i think EO must awakening immediately in both situations... Anyway my question is - what happens with yellow dice? (Question at two posts before).

And i have another question - what happens if the reward for sucsessful complete adventure will be last elder sign and last doom token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it:

"The extra doom token houserule" is an additional "At Midnight" effect that is applied after the Clock phase is over.
"At Midnight" effects do not activate immediately as soon as the clock strikes, or passes Midnight; Midnight effects are resolved after the investigators' turns are over.

Terror effects, however, occur during the investigator's turn, so any penalties they apply, are resolved immediately.(unless you have clues to reroll the terror results)

By the rules, as soon as the final doom token is placed on the doom track, the Ancient One immediately awakens.

If you're talking about the Hound of Tindalos, that's the way his tasks are resolved:

Roll dice; you got a scroll result.

1) first, advance the clock 3 hours.(don't apply any Midnight effects, even if the clock now shows Midnight)
2)Then put the scroll result on the monster; you have defeated it- the die will be unlocked after you succeed or fail the adventure

If you fail to roll a scroll during the resolution phase, you don't defeat it; the yellow die stays locked. But you also don't advance the clock one extra time because that's one of the requirements for the monster task.

2)After you have failed or resolved the Adventure, collect the rewards, or suffer the penalties, then proceed to the clock phase, and advance the clock.

3)Then apply the extra doom token.

Any dice that are locked by monsters or Adventure cards in the play area, when the Ancient One awakens, remain locked for the final battle.(and only Sister Mary can use them)

If you have collected enough Elder Signs, you win the game immediately; the doom token is ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, interesting... I think that advancing the clock for defeat monster interrupt adventure phase, you think that not.
I will try to explain my point:
For example we have monster that required "1 skull" and 1 "-1 sanity" to defeat. If you put skull on monster the "-1 sanity" effect starting immediately, not in reward or penalty phase. I think similar happens with clock advancing effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To put it simply: At Midnight effects cannot occur during the investigator's turn. The turn must be resolved completely, ending with the clock phase.

That's why the clock advancing during an investigator's turn has no immediate effect on him.

Clock advancement is bad of course, but it doesn't trigger anything immediately. At Midnight effects only occur later.

So, let's say, if you start your adventure at 9 o'clock , and have two separate clock advancement tasks. You resolve them both, completing the adventure, then proceed to the clock phase .

That means that during your turn, you advanced the clock by 9 hours, so At Midnight effects will occur at 6 o'clock the following day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Daimond wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:

The rules says:
"If the Ancient One awakens during a player’s turn, the player immediately proceeds to the Clock phase of his turn."
The monster has been killed, but the adventure isn't complete. So, i think, that in first situation the dice is stay locked, because investigator must receive it with rewards for complete adventure, but in the second situation the dice will be unlocking, because spell will kill monster immediately... Not sure about all of this, need advice.

If a game effect (terror or house rule or whatever) causes the Ancient One's Doom track to fill up during a player's turn, any dice which are still locked are lost.

But in this case, by defeating the monster you freed the die. It doesn't return to the die pool till the end of your turn, but that happens whether you succeed at the adventure or not. So the die is freed as you proceed to the clock phase (because what that means is your turn ends, then you advance the clock). Also, this is true whether you defeat the monster "normally" or with a spell or item.

And Alex is right that "At Midnight" effects cannot occur during a player's turn. If you must advance the clock to defeat a monster, you advance it immediately, but even if you advance it to or past midnight, midnight effects do not happen until the end of your turn, when you do the clock phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mans, i think i've got it. When EO is awakening in adventure, the adventure MUST OVER BEFORE clock phase. So, if player complete it he will receive a reward or penalty, if not - no reward or penalty at all. But if player kill a monster and not complete a adventure, the adventure will ends and player will receive a reward for killed monster, like trophy or locked dice. Is it right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Daimond wrote:
Mans, i think i've got it. When EO is awakening in adventure, the adventure MUST OVER BEFORE clock phase. So, if player complete it he will receive a reward or penalty, if not - no reward or penalty at all. But if player kill a monster and not complete a adventure, the adventure will ends and player will receive a reward for killed monster, like trophy or locked dice. Is it right?

Yes, pretty much!

I said above that your turn ends before you advance the clock. Actually that's not quite right. Your resolution phase ends before you advance the clock. Then your turn ends, and then any midnight effects occur.

But any dice locked on monsters are freed at the end of the resolution phase, the same as any dice you used to defeat the monster. So they're freed before you advance the clock. And yes, you get the monster marker as a trophy at that time too.

At least, that's how I see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.