joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I watch the videos, im trying to rationalize spawn points into the fantasy realm of descent and dnd. I thought the 8bit spawn point of super dungeon explore was just barely squeaking by.

descent just has critters coming in doors(reinforcements, descent2) or the non-line of site spaces(card spawns descent1), presumably cracks in the walls.

For mythm, How do you rationalize the spawn points? Scropions crawling up a hole out of the dirt? A portal?

Do all myth scenarios use Spawn points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
runescience wrote:
As I watch the videos, im trying to rationalize spawn points into the fantasy realm of descent and dnd. I thought the 8bit spawn point of super dungeon explore was just barely squeaking by.

descent just has critters coming in doors(reinforcements, descent2) or the non-line of site spaces(card spawns descent1), presumably cracks in the walls.

For mythm, How do you rationalize the spawn points? Scropions crawling up a hole out of the dirt? A portal?

Do all myth scenarios use Spawn points?

Other than Slaughterfield, spawn points are pretty much always used.

Look at some other early fantasy games, especially the Gauntlet franchise - the use of spawn points has been a part of the fantasy genre since at least the early 80s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered guantlet, but thats a computer game. Super dungeon explore replicats that nicely.

I come from a roleplaying background, thus the pontification and rationalization

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're just going to have to accept that this is a very "arcadey" dungeon crawler/RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are wandering monster packs and monster lairs. These are where monsters pop up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think of it a lot like this...

http://youtu.be/5Naqi06SO6Q?t=30s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esquivel
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
runescience wrote:
I considered guantlet, but thats a computer game. Super dungeon explore replicats that nicely.

I come from a roleplaying background, thus the pontification and rationalization

The spawn points could be magical in nature, conjuring up and teleporting the creatures. Remember, if you can't explain it, "a wizard did it!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Squiv wrote:

The spawn points could be magical in nature, conjuring up and teleporting the creatures. Remember, if you can't explain it, "a wizard did it!"

We really don't need all this justification. Its a lair. Its where the monsters hang out. Its only logical that there will be some standing outside have a smoke or taking a piss. When they engage, the ones inside will want a piece of the action and come pouring out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr-WhoopAss wrote:

I think of it a lot like this...

http://youtu.be/5Naqi06SO6Q?t=30s

Orcs have REALLY REALLY bad teeth

Jotora wrote:

You're just going to have to accept that this is a very "arcadey" dungeon crawler/RPG.

Thats fair. Ill think on it. I need to watch more vids.

What does brimstone do for spawning? is there spawning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runescience wrote:

Pretty much. If you look at the sculpted lairs, they mostly look like mounds of dirt/rock/etc that the baddies crawl out of. Exceptions: The elementals spawn from a crystal and the cyclops (which are really just dudes that have been parasitized by an eye plant/fungus thing) come out of a stalk of said eye plant.

There's no getting around it, video games are definitely one of Myth's sources of inspiration. Treasures pop up where enemies were killed, treasures have a Diablo-like rarity/ranking system, bosses have different "modes", heroes automatically come back to life after dying on an adventure, etc. I see no need to think around the video game tropes and shoe-horn them into tropes that are exclusive to roleplaying games.

But hey, we all gotta pass the time till the game gets here somehow, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Monsters build their homes like bees build their hives, one door for the whole shebang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
breegull wrote:
runescience wrote:

Pretty much. If you look at the sculpted lairs, they mostly look like mounds of dirt/rock/etc that the baddies crawl out of. Exceptions: The elementals spawn from a crystal and the cyclops (which are really just dudes that have been parasitized by an eye plant/fungus thing) come out of a stalk of said eye plant.

Right. There are holes in the ground. They come from the holes. Makes sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me think of Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hmph! "Modern-Day Robin Hood." What am I supposed to do? Steal from myself and give to the poor?
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
runescience wrote:
Thats fair. Ill think on it. I need to watch more vids.

The man is trying to get you to swallow the pill! Don't do it!

Kidding! I love Myth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Sitka
AK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a DnD scenario where we had to fight a hive of insects we passed.
I assure you we had no interest in going into the hole they were coming out of, and if we could have destroyed that hole we sure would have.

As for the orcs, I just think of them coming out of a hovel with a small door or a small entrance to a larger dungeon, something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty easy to understand, either with hidden passages, portals, dark corners. Sounds good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, remember that the game is the mental image of a story being told.
So picture in your minds eye being attacked with more attackers coming in, it could seem like they are appearing from now where.

Past that, I figure the spawns fit the monsters.
Like nests, or graves, or goblin huts.
So they are kinda like stylizations of the areas the monsters come from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.