aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
Hey guys can you please help me to understand if I am playing the game right?

I checked the forums and the (revised) rulebook but I still feel unsure about how many times per check I can use a power - or what a "check" actually is.

Lest say that I am playing Lini with an animal ally on my hand. I explore and encounter a faceless stalker.

Can I...

-Reveal the ally to add d4 to the faceless stalker "before the encounter" check, plus reveal the animal again to add a d4 to the actual combat check, plus reveal it again to (for the shake of argument) my divine check to recharge the strenght spell I used in that combat?

Or...

-I can only reveal the ally once, in one of those checks of my choosing (ie the power can only be used once from the moment I encounter the card to the moment the encounter ends)

As everything is called "check" (combat check, recharge check, etc) I am having trouble to understand when a "check" starts and ends, as opposed to "next step of the check" or "next check" meaning

Any help or guidance (+1 to any check!) is appreciated... it is probably just me

Thanks a lot! Keep your steel sharp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use each power once per any step of the "Encountering a Card" sequence or once per check (since checks can happen outside of an encounter).

Rulebook v3 p10 wrote:
Each player may activate any power no more than once during each step.

Rulebook v3 p11 wrote:
Remember that each player may not play more than 1 card of each type or activate any 1 power more than once during each check.

And these are the steps of Encountering a Card:

Encountering a Card wrote:
Evade the card (optional).
Apply any effects that happen before the encounter, if needed.
Attempt the check.
Attempt the next check, if needed.
Apply any effects that happen after the encounter, if needed.
Resolve the encounter.

I'm pretty sure all checks say the word "Check." So banes say "Check to defeat." Boons say "Check to acquire". Locations might say "When Closing Succeed at a Wisdom 6 check." Recharge boxes say "Succeed at a Divine 4 check to recharge this card instead of discarding it."

So any time you are told to make a check, you are making a check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yes, Lini can reveal an ally for the Before the Encounter Effect from the Faceless Stalker, and again for the the check to defeat the Faceless Stalker, plus reveal it again for the check to recharge the Spell, because those are all separate steps of the Encountering a Card Sequence. The recharge check for the spell is under "Attempt the Next Check."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
269Hawkmoon wrote:
So yes, Lini can reveal an ally for the Before the Encounter Effect from the Faceless Stalker, and again for the the check to defeat the Faceless Stalker, plus reveal it again for the check to recharge the Spell, because those are all separate steps of the Encountering a Card Sequence. The recharge check for the spell is under "Attempt the Next Check."

Thanks a lot Hawkmoon! This makes Lini's allies and Lem's recharges even more awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lini's power is completely off the chain later when she is getting +4 or +5 to pretty much every action because she has a cat in her hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is dealing with damage after an unsuccessful combat regarded as a separate step from the encounter itself, so can a spell be used during combat and afterwards to reduce damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
Is dealing with damage after an unsuccessful combat regarded as a separate step from the encounter itself, so can a spell be used during combat and afterwards to reduce damage?

Dealing with damage is part of the step or check during which you receive it. Arcane Armor and Mirror Image have received errata to rule that they can be used, even if you've already played a spell during the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ste gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
Lini's power is completely off the chain later when she is getting +4 or +5 to pretty much every action because she has a cat in her hand.

I planned on beginning with Lini.

Is the character slightly broken then?

If so I intend to play another character

:/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_tibbs wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:

I don't think she's broken. She's lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_tibbs wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:

Absolutely not broken! She doesn't get any big dice checks unless she uses her power to discard a card for a d10 on Str or Dex checks, so that d4 for an Animal is not "over" at all. I'm currently soloing with Lini and finding it very tough as her standard starting load out is configured for a support role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.