Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Blackwell
England
Rotherfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Battle of Britain the Air Ministry and RAF were so concerned about the effects of the Luftwaffe's bombing campaign successfully targeting British aircraft manufacturing industry that they decided they needed alternative aircraft if their Spitfires and Hurricanes began to dwindle. Enter the Miles Master M.24 "Emergency Fighter." Originally used as an excellent advanced trainer for Fighter pilots at FTU's and OTU's prior to deployment to Spitfire and Hurricane Sqns, the 2 seat Miles Master I bore more than a passing resemblance to both its more illustrious front line stable mates. Armed with a single machine gun and dummy bombs the original plan was to use these aircraft as a form of dive bomber against a land invasion. However such was the performance of the aircraft with good handling, strength and manoeuvrability that between 23-26 were converted to the role of an emergency fighter and dubbed the "M.24". The rear seat was removed with part of the cockpit glazing but more importantly they were up armed to carry 6x.303 m.g.s. Fortunately they were never called upon to fulfil this role. With a maximum speed of up to 250mph (potentially 300mph from some accounts) and a ceiling of 25000ft they would clearly have been no match against the German fighters, (especially if flown by novice pilots) but against slower moving and fully laden bombers or maybe Ju52's laden with Falschirmjagers?? We will never know. Sadly none exist today.
http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/miles_m-24.php
http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/england/miles_m-24.jpg
For gaming purposes I have included 1 unit in my OoB with a -1/-2 ready/fatigued strength and available for use when the VP score drops to -25
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.