Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Spice
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Hi there,
just finished punching my new shiny copy of L7 Omega Protocol. I noticed that there were 2 door tiles that had passkeys on the opposite side. The other thing I noticed was that they had their "effect/status" on the underside of the tile (the flat side), while every other door tile had their effect/status on the rounded side of the tile. In other words they were printed on the different side of the stock compared to all the other door tiles and are recognisable.

I quickly skimmed the mission guide to see if this was a problem and noticed that these tiles are not used in the base game (I think); however I wondered whether the slight difference could be used to the commando's advantage in future missions.

It is a minor difference but as we all know gamers will do anything to get an advantage. devil Thoughts? Will it matter if the Commandos know if a door has a passkey on the opposite side? I hope this makes sense.
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Torell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Android:Netrunner videos: http://www.peachhack.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked my set, and it appears you are correct. It seems like a very slight difference that would be hard to notice visually (a bit easier to tell when feeling it) but perhaps a very observant player could tell.

I honestly am not sure what kind of difference it will make, because we haven't seen an expansion that makes use of them yet. As best as I can tell, they seem to want to make a mission with two unknown keys and corresponding unknown doors, but I'm really not sure how that would play in a mission. I'm very curious to see what the designers come up with.

EDIT: I got No Quarter Issue #52, which includes Mission 8.5 which makes use of passkey doors, and in that mission, it is known ahead of time which doors are passkey doors (though it is not known which one is which). So this isn't as big of an issue, since the mystery isn't which doors are passkey doors, but which passkey door is door A and which is door B.

Of course, if you have a custom mission you're working on, and want the location of the passkey doors to be a secret, then it could be more of an issue. But at least as far as official Privateer Press missions are concerned, it's a non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spice
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Hi Ben, thanks for the follow up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was concerned as well but I'm glad to see it's not an issue. I wish more publishers were aware that token cuts matter. In Eminent Domain: Escalation, for example, the tile cuts of starting planets are useful for categorization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.