United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Compared to artifacts, where you draw three but keep one? (and even skills when you level up, where you draw two and keep one)

The artifacts are considerably more powerful than the scrolls too. They're continuous vs. single-use, and there are no issues with having to match symbols to get the "full effect".

It seems that scrolls seem to be the worst of the three bonus cards (scrolls, artifacts, skills)

I wonder if the designers at one time intended you to draw three of them, and keep one? Or what might their design rationale have been to make scrolls the least attractive of the bonus card options, and to give players the least control when drawing them?

Discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Mystic" ability allows you to draw 3 and pick 1. So maybe to make that power more desirable. The "Artefact Finder" is draw 5, pick 1 which seems in keeping with a similar ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess:
Artifacts are dependent on whether you already own one on the same type. If you only draw 1 and already have one of the same type, not too great.
Only drawing 1 scroll greatly emphasizes the importance of the Magic-based heroes. A hero with magic 5 will always be able to use the scroll they draw, whereas a hero with less than that might not.
The ability where you actually draw 3 scrolls as opposed to one is actually quite powerful. In our last game, one of my opponents seemingly out of the blue wanted to do a pvp battle with me, I couldn't see why, as I had a seemingly superior might-based hero on the field. I didn't notice he had a bunch of scrolls with him. It turned out he had 3 level 5 scrolls with him (where he can summon an elemental). I didn't last long cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting situation can arise if you draw scrolls with low magic heroes. If they get ones they can't cast, and there is no hero card trading, they just sit there unplayed for the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
An interesting situation can arise if you draw scrolls with low magic heroes. If they get ones they can't cast, and there is no hero card trading, they just sit there unplayed for the entire game.

Or you just sell them in your city when you have the market building whistle ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Or you just sell them in your city when you have the market building whistle ?

Oh yeah, forgot you can do that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I'm still not really seeing an advantage of ever going after scrolls vs. artifacts (though I guess this is dictated by the treasure cards, and not really player choice, right?)

Are scrolls kept hidden, while artifacts are face up? That might make them a bit more appealing.

Heroes would need to have high(ish) Magic, and get lucky (with only a single draw!) and get a scroll of their magic school. If you don't even have a magic school because you're a Might hero, I just can't imagine ever going for a scroll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
I'm still not really seeing an advantage of ever going after scrolls vs. artifacts (though I guess this is dictated by the treasure cards, and not really player choice, right?)

Artifacts are much better than scrolls in about every way. They are permanent and also give PP (which are required to win). They are also much harder to acquire than scrolls. There is actually an artifact that let's the hero draw a scroll card every single time you gather resources...

mattprice wrote:

Are scrolls kept hidden, while artifacts are face up? That might make them a bit more appealing.

Yep, scrolls are hidden until used.

mattprice wrote:

Heroes would need to have high(ish) Magic, and get lucky (with only a single draw!) and get a scroll of their magic school. If you don't even have a magic school because you're a Might hero, I just can't imagine ever going for a scroll!

Also true, Might heroes go for luck tokens instead on the treasure cards whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.