Commands & Colors: Napoleonics» Forums » General

Subject: Damn Austrians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the box of this extention, love the fact that it's a new army with new rules, new colors and scenarios but ... But I'm damned with those Austrians!

I record everything and from the very start of CCN I'm 50/50 on victories : losses and have fun!

Even the Spanish that many didn't like gave me pleasure and victories!

But the AUSTRIANS ... ! WOAAA! I read and re-read the rules but keep on loosing 90% of the time I play them and 80% of the time I play against them !?!

I think I missed something ... really!

What about you all?

How do you manage those few cards & turtle speed infantries?
How to coordinate the advancing Cavalry with an Infantry that retreat quicker than they advance ???

Feeling tired of them after only 10 battles! Help!

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably we Austrians are born losers meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the austrians. My beloved Pluizebol always hogs the French, and the Austrians are so far their best opponent (grumble, grumble something about perfidious albion grumble british grumble). Yes, they are slow ... spend some time putting them in position, y'know?

Funny thing - so far, I think every fight has gone the other way than historically (Aspern-Essling was half-french, half-austrian but Eckmuhl was all-Austrian; Sacile was a french victory) - I wonder how Wagram will go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:

How do you manage those few cards & turtle speed infantries?
How to coordinate the advancing Cavalry with an Infantry that retreat quicker than they advance ???

The infantry might be slow, but it packs a whallop. And I like infantry that get out of trouble twice as quick as they got into trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try again and again with them to understand. The point is: Because they are slow, whatever my strategy I feel like the opponent really DECIDE where and when the hot spot will happen because of his speed!

In this case I quickly become the defensor and can only hope for the infantry defensive dice to help = 5 dice mostly reduced to 4-3-2 by the initial enemy attack when it's not reduced to 1 by a serie of battalion mass formations ...

OK ... Let's keep on loosing & learning ... I'll find the solution ... I'll find it!

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
---> Kris: I did never grumble against the British. You might mismatch with somebody else ...

I respect very much their very efficient and powerfull infantry and their clever general Wellington! I still prefer to fight the Austrians than the strong British in this game IMO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, guillaume, *I* am the grumbler against the British. Not the ones in the game, the historical ones .

However, I love cavalry, cavalry charges, taking out the enemy's artillery with my fast horses. Can't do that with British horses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! The Cavalry era of Napoleonic times made me love this thema!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
Exactly! The Cavalry era of Napoleonic times made me love this thema!

I always hang onto any first strike cards for just this eventuality. Hello cavalry meet grapeshot... mwahahahahaha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GG, I've had the exact opposite experience; aside from the Brits, I've found the Austrians to be the best match for the French. In fact, through my limited play throughs so far, I am undefeated as the "white coats.

For me, it's the Ruskies that let me down; only 1/6 with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
---> Nimitz: Interesting witness ... This show me again I missed something about the way to use them!

---> Ben: That's the point. As a French and even if many times it didn't worked historicaly ... I love the movement and the Cavalry Charges!
"SABRES AU CLAIR! POUR LA LIBERTE! CHARGEZZZZZ!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just won first day of Wagram as austrian (although that's easy when each Scout you play gives you another Scout ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
Just won first day of Wagram as austrian (although that's easy when each Scout you play gives you another Scout ).

I feel that there should a choice of taking the banner of the choice of 2 cards, but not both when the Austrians play a Scout card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Tegarend wrote:

I feel that there should a choice of taking the banner of the choice of 2 cards, but not both when the Austrians play a Scout card.

I agree, just like Scouts for the spanish player give guerrila but not the choice of 2 cards. But the rules are mute on this ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.