Subject: Counting the white number even if you haven't made one round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gamov
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone wanted to try going backwards the first turn and wait for people to loot them when they finish their round around the island.
Our issue was whether or not that player would count the white number he is on at the end of the game or just -5 (because he is 'behind' the red line.
If you read the rules literally, it would be the white number but it's not fair to the players that made the round around the island…

any definitive answer on that point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's obvious it's minus five points... If it wasn't the game could be over after the first player made is move... He would go back for example until the first treasure and then forward 6 and cross the finish line...

It's not forbidden to go back at the start, it could even be good to get some treasure and avoid fighting... But if you don't go forward and cross the red line you'll always get -5 points at the end of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Paulo. It's obvious. You can argue the rules aren't technically complete, but it's it's pretty obvious what the intent is. You don't need a definitive answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. It's a race game. I wouldn't even look in the rules for an answer. If the rules *did* say that this was a legitimate strategy I would just house-rule that it wasn't!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamov
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all with you, guys (I forgot to mention my position on this point). Except a member of our group insisted that the rules made no exceptions for this case so he could count the white number instead of -5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if that was the case it would be almost impossible to beat the person that did that... he would just have to go back to the 1st treasure spot and maybe even get a good treasure, then he would collect some food and then he would go forward to the space just before the finish line and be there gathering gold for the rest of the game safe from attacks until someone crossed the line...

that person that claimed that must be a win at all costs guy to come up with that kind of an excuse... why even play the game to be stopped in a spot all game long??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamov wrote:
I'm all with you, guys (I forgot to mention my position on this point). Except a member of our group insisted that the rules made not exception for this case so he could count the white number instead of -5.

Just smack some common sense into that person and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's as silly as going backwards first and then forwards and insisting that you've already crossed the line and that you are therefore due 15 points no matter what...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand rules clarifications for the most obvious thing.

Yes, if you WANT to play a race game in which you can backtrack before the finish and then score first place points, then go ahead and play that way.

"The rules say that if you have zero life then your character is dead, what if I have one life and take two damage? I'm never technically at zero life, right?"

Ooof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Lie Parmer
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure this is a non-issue anyway - I think it would be very hard to not move forwards at all in this game, as there are far fewer red arrows than green arrows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could be done. Move back six. Only move forward (when forced to) and land on an expensive space (as most are towards the end). When you can't pay you move back even further. To make sure you can't pay you could dump stuff overboard at every opportunity.

All very silly, as per all the comments above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

Quote:
Players are allowed to move
Backwards as their first movement
However, they must still do a circuit of
The island in order to finish the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamov
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry. I've just looked back at the rules again… and indeed it's specified.

Case closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamov wrote:
I'm so sorry. I've just looked back at the rules again… and indeed it's specified.

Well, anyone pedantic enough to make the original claim would also certainly claim that the rule quoted above only talks about causing the game end, not about whether you get the points for being on those spaces when the game does end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - the rules don't answer the question. But I think it is pretty clear what the consensus is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can score any points if you don't finish a game. And you have to circle the island to finish the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
I don't think you can score any points if you don't finish a game. And you have to circle the island to finish the game.

Not everyone has to circle the island to finish the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.