James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
I've read the threads but maybe I'm too thick to get this so, please explain this in simple terms for me.

I don't own ANY Zombicide... I do own Zpocalypse and Dawn of the Zeds. I'm looking for something different, more video gamey, which I read Zcide is.

However, Prison Outbreak reminds me of Walking Dead !! well, before the gov destroyed the prison.

SO.... I'd LOVE to play PRison Outbreak, I like more complexity in a game. Vids I watched of S1 just seemed a little too simple to me. But the amount of missions is Incredible !

QUESTION -- someone said you can Buy PRison Outbreak as your base, and add S1 tiles , this way you can play all Prison Outbreak BUT ALSO play all S1 Missions.

Do I have that correct? Is it really that simple? How? Don't the missions for S1 require specific setups etc... I mean, PO is a game on it's own, how would you have the Prison, but also be playing S1 missions?

Sorry for the confusion, but I don't have the cash to buy everything

Thank you !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Missions are only driven by tiles, so buying S1 Tiles pack give you access to all S1 missions and the downloadable ones too.
Prison outbreak has all the items cards, tokens required in missions.
what you won't have by only getting Tiles instead of the whole S1 box are heroes and different Zombies sculpts all optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
Main confusion is this.... Is a mission not a scenario... Text tells a story, certain thing have to happen with set goals?

So, if I have the PO set up, but I have extra S1 tiles... I don't have the mission story, and now there's a prison somehow attached to these S1 tiles for which there's no mention in the S1 missions.

See?

Or do I somehow have this mixed up in my head?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook and loads of extra missions are available from the Guillotine Games website for free download, so you can get them and then use your S1 tile set and any survivors you have can play the missions. Some missions will mention the names of survivors you won't have, but that's not important - you can just replace them with what you do have.

After you have played it a bit, you might want to go for an extra box of zombies. But I would just play first and see how you feel. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So then when playing the s1 missions with PO, you don't actually have the prison set up, and you would not have all the other po cool stuff like wire fences, switches etc... All the things that interest me about the PO

Am I right?

Also, from Vida I watched, I didn't get the sense of a prison in po.... It didn't seem that different from s1 streets and few buildings. Anyone feel that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you are kindda right, The art is what gives you the urban or prison feel, and could be transposed to anything really, army base, warehouses, hospitals, police HQ, farms,...
Missions are only as thematic as the backstory is really. Otherwise it is usually just run from here to there find items or objectives, while surviving and avoid zombies.
Pretty much like descent. If you remove the backstory of each quest, it always comes down to go there, kill the monsters on the way ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play S1, but the items (deck) you search will be those of Prison, not S1. Also the zombie deck is that of prison too.

As a plus, you can play with bersekers the S1 Missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James, go to www.zombicide.com and download the rule books in the language you prefer and have a read through them - you'll likely get a much clearer idea that way than from us trying to explain it.

Now, for me personally, you can't just play the S1 missions/scenarios by buying the S1 tiles and using PO for everything else - the flavour of a mission for me comes from more than just the layout of the tiles - the mix of zombies that spawn, and the types of equipment you have to deal with them, in my opinion, all form part of that flavour.

If you've read the other threads on this subject you'll have seen my pasta analogy:

Eating spaghetti with carbonara sauce (playing season 1 scenarios with season 1 tiles and prison outbreak cards and zombies) will taste nice (be fun) but you won't be eating spaghetti bolognese (getting the true season 1 experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Scott Hill has written, playing S1 missions with S2 Survivors and Equipment won't have the same feel. IMO, it will be a touch easier as the S2 Equipment is better than S1 Equipment. (Recently underlined for me when the FLGS had a Zombicide day and the missions required us to play using S1 stuff.) However, the game will still function perfectly fine, so adding S1 tiles to a copy of Prison Outbreak will expand your play options. [Indeed, I will do it myself as I kickstarted PO and Toxic City Mall, but want to play the missions in both sets that require some of the S1 tiles. Also there are a bunch of fan-made missions that are pretty neat, but require S1 tiles since they were made when only S1 was available.]

Remember, better dead than Zed! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
So then when playing the s1 missions with PO, you don't actually have the prison set up, and you would not have all the other po cool stuff like wire fences, switches etc... All the things that interest me about the PO.

Right! Season 1 only had scenarios/missions that involved locations made from the 9 S1 tiles. PO and TCM added more tiles and other cool things that could be used to create scenarios/missions. Some of the newer scenarios/missions might use only PO tiles, some PO and TCM tiles, some S1 and PO, S1 and TCM or S1, TCM and PO. Some fans have even created custom tiles to add to the mix. By having PO and S1 tiles, you can play PO scenarios or a somewhat different version of the S1 scenarios, due to cards, etc, but you can also start to mix and match to create your own custom scenarios, which is where the fun is for many of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
Also, from Vida I watched, I didn't get the sense of a prison in po.... It didn't seem that different from s1 streets and few buildings. Anyone feel that?

I do not agree with you.
True, that the design could be from many types of buildings, but moving around the prison, compared to moving around the mall and the city is three very different experiences. Beside the prison has, rotating gates, cells the unlock simultaniuosly, fences, towers and security zones.

Zombicide use a very simpel rulesystem. So I don't think we should expect any of the expansion themes either to contain more than a few special rules or else the gameplay might get too complicated.

Although it could be awesome if they added a few tokens to put on zones. Say some toxic fumes for the Tcm etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I did it !
Season 2 + S1 Tiles purchased !!

now... if I could just find Phil & Amy from S1 I'll be good (grin)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could jump all in and buy TCM. This comes with the cards of S1 survivors and their zombivor sculpts. These make reasonable proxies. It also has pans in the deck so you can start with equipment closer to S1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
Well I did it !
Season 2 + S1 Tiles purchased !!

now... if I could just find Phil & Amy from S1 I'll be good (grin)
You could try finding a suitable proxy from Reaper's Chronoscope line. On that page there is a Deputy Wayne Tinsdale. He's got a smokey hat, but is a contemporary deputy sherrif. I've ordered Berkeley, Zombie Hunter (on the same page) and will use her for Claudia, one of the S1 promos. [You can get the Survivor cards from Guillotine Games Website and some from the BGG Zombicide files section.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.