Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Coup» Forums » Variants

Subject: Coup: The Resurgence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Inspired by an earlier variant discussion called "The Twins" I would like to propose a new variant for play testing and discussion.

Regular Coup rules apply but would include this one action:

The Resurgence: At 10 coins or more a player must launch a coup or may instead choose a resurgence action.

Merriam Webster defines resurgence as:
1. a growth or increase that occurs after a period without growth or increase.
2. a rising again into life, activity, or prominence.

The resurgence action allows a player to perform a one (1) card exchange. To do so, the player must either "revive" a face-up character card from anywhere on the table or take the top card from the draw pile. Then, he may choose to exchange the card taken with either of his own two character cards.

Here's how it works:

To use a resurgence action, the player must first pay 10 coins to the bank and then take in hand, either:

1. A face-up influence card from any player around the table; or
2. The top card from the court deck (draw pile)

Then, adding his own two character cards to his hand (whether any were face-up or not) he is now holding three cards. Next, he must choose two cards to lay face-down in his play area. The third card is returned to the deck. If another player had a card taken from his play area, (whether that player is still in the game or not) he must draw the top card from the deck and lay it face up in his play area. This new card is now available for a future resurgence action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith
msg tools
Would Resurgence (or any way to regain lost lives) add any value to the game, or would it just make the game take longer? A big part of the value of Coup is the fact that it's so short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
admiralspunky wrote:
Would Resurgence (or any way to regain lost lives) add any value to the game, or would it just make the game take longer? A big part of the value of Coup is the fact that it's so short.

Given that the cost is high (10 coins) I don't think it will lengthen the game. It will, however, cause players to get nervous because they don't know if other players are accumulating coins to launch a Coup or to choose a Resurgence. Of course, they don't want to see either happen!

Also, I set the price at 10 for a reason. The cost of reviving a life should be high. And, for a person to get 10 coins, they are going to have to work hard for them. In addition, it also adds an element of wonder/surprise as to what a player will choose who reaches that level.

I would also recommend trying this variant coupled with "The Twins". Though, I think "The Twins" variant will stand quite well on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, and it might fix the stalemate problem, but I also expect that it will create a completely new stalemate problem!

The fact that almost every action in the game pushes it closer to a conclusion is important, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last week with the op (Spiritual Coach) and I like it. We played this with along with the Twins variant and like it better than vanilla.

I do like vanilla Coup, I just like it even more with these variants as they dampen the one thing I didn't like ... being helpless (not being able to prepare) against a coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.