Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have ideas for adding a robot player when only playing with 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Anyone have ideas for adding a robot player when only playing with 2?

Off the top of my head, I would suggest exploring something along these lines:

* Get two D8s

* Number the board 1 through 8 starting with the Shipyard. Note: the Colonist Hub would not get a number.

* The Robot always goes first.

* Roll one D8 for the robot.

* Block the location that matches the D8 as if a player had played there. To do this simply put the die on that spot. For example, if you roll a 1, the Shipyard is blocked for that round, if you roll a 2, the Terraforming Station is blocked, etc.

* If they get the Terraforming Station or Colony Constructor, move the robot forward 3 spots on the Colonist Hub. This will nudge them towards getting colonies but not too fast. 3 seems like a good number to start with but you may have to balance this to find the right number.

* If the space is the Raider's Outpost, have the robot pick on the player currently with the most points. If you only have only goods or only cards, the robot takes whichever as per the regular rules (randomly choose cards/goods if you have multiples). If you have both, then roll the die again and on a 1-4 the Robot steals goods, and on a 5-8 they steal a card.

* All other spaces the robot lands on are meaningless to the robot but they do block that space for the round.

* You take a turn.

* The other player takes a turn (if playing with 2 rather than solo)

* Roll the other D8 for the robot and play it in the same way. If it's the same spot the robot is already on, place a robot colony. You may need to balance this as well but it seems like giving the robot a perk for doubles is the right call.

* You then take any remaining turns you have.

---

What I've described is random but it should achieve the effect of blocking spaces as other players would do. The robot also blocks first each turn and in-between your turns so this should add to the tension as well.

The part I'm not so sure about is the pace that the robot will be able to place colonies but I think you can fiddle with the number of spots it moves each time. It could be a constant of 3 or 4 like I'm suggesting, or you could even roll a D4 or D6 to see how far it should move.

Completely unplaytested but it sounds like it could be fun if the balancing can be worked out to pace the robot just ahead of your own plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Complete noob to this game here (never played, don't own).

Why would you need to play with a robot player?

I would primarily play with 2 players so I'd be really disappointed to find out that it's not great with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:

I would primarily play with 2 players so I'd be really disappointed to find out that it's not great with 2.

Oh no, this game is amazing with tww and great with three. 4+ pushing it unless everyone experienced (too much A.P.). I just wanted a variant to spice things up a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
BertMcCloud wrote:

Oh no, this game is amazing with tww and great with three. 4+ pushing it unless everyone experienced (too much A.P.). I just wanted a variant to spice things up a little.

That's good. Thanks! Very glad to hear that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Salute
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas, Wil! Keep us informed if any of you guys try them out!

Michael @ GS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.