Matt
msg tools
First, let me say that I'm very excited to try this game out; I've got a (borderline gateway) group of 4 playing tomorrow. One of the reasons I wanted to post this thread is to thank several users whose suggestions I have gratefully implemented:

1) Thanks to bmun for his storage and transport tips: I hunted down the specific Plano boxes you mentioned, and they work great for this game.

2) Big thanks to dahbuss for his colorful trait trackers: I printed, glued these back to back, and laminated as he suggested. Now all I have to do is get some cheap washers from Home Depot and I can avoid the sliding issues reported here.

2b) I also printed and laminated the player aids courtesy of rlennon and the traitor rules handout courtesy of GregF.

3) My one big regret is not being able to (quickly) get the Horrorclix figures to replace the tokens as mentioned in this thread by Dan/Team D20. I think this would have added a ton of value to the game, but there was a 4-5 day shipping delay and I don't want to push the game another week, even for some cool minis.

4) Finally, I did a solo playthrough of 5-6 turns (stopped before the haunt) just to familiarize myself with the flow.

Any other suggestions? I'm quite looking forward to tomorrow. We're probably going to play some Guillotine, Munchkin, or Love Letter to warm up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Strawser
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After 3 or 4 playthroughs my biggest tip would be to make sure the 'traitor' and the 'players' read the haunt very carefully. In one game we overlooked a critical rule which made the session much less fun.

In general terms, try and have the players read their event/omen/item cards aloud (provides flavor).

This is a fantastic game! Have fun! (And read carefully....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is the most fun when people are into it. I found that being cheesy and reading the cards in a dramatic way makes you look a little silly at first but really engages everyone else for play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Maybe more than any other game I own, Betrayal benefits from players who get into the theme and have fun with it. Before the haunt starts, not much is going on mechanically so it really helps to engage in some hammy card reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can rest assured, that based on your post, you are way, way more prepared to play this game than the vast majority of people who have played this game.

We just popped it open and played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
msg tools
Haha, thanks Ron. I am nothing if not annoyingly thorough. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
You can rest assured, that based on your post, you are way, way more prepared to play this game than the vast majority of people who have played this game.

We just popped it open and played.

That's all we did as well. Opened the box one night, read the rules, punched out the bits, and played the game the next day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Mason
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you are set! I play with my older kids, ages 8, 10, 12 and 14 with no problems. We have had a few minor issues with some of the Haunt directions. I did find a revision of the haunts that has been helpful.

http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/BHH_TraitorRev_12010...

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
doodlemakers wrote:
Sounds like you are set! I play with my older kids, ages 8, 10, 12 and 14 with no problems. We have had a few minor issues with some of the Haunt directions. I did find a revision of the haunts that has been helpful.

http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/BHH_TraitorRev_12010...

Have fun!

Just a note: these revised rules are only needed for the first edition. The second edition (green box) already incooperates them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.