Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Solitaire Games: Am I Doing Something Wrong, or Are They Just Not For Me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few solitaire games in my collection. Some which can also be played multiplayer, e.g. Andean Abyss, and some that are specifically designed for solitaire play, e.g. Fields of Fire.

Today, I was playing a game of Andean Abyss, and it suddenly struck me that I wasn't really enjoying myself. I don't get a huge kick out of following flowcharts for three minutes to see what happens next, then making a thirty second decision, and following another three minutes of bookkeeping to figure out what the game does.

I love the idea of Andean Abyss, Fields of Fire, et al. But they're just so much work to play. And the work part, for me, outweighs the fun.

I have some other solitaire games on my wishlist: D-Day at Omaha Beach, Navajo Wars, The Hunters. But I'm wondering if it's gonna be the same thing if I get those. Will I make a few enjoyable decisions and then have loads of bookkeeping to do? Are there solitaire games out there that have more bang for your decision making buck? Or are you reading this and saying, "Well, that's what solitaire games are! If you don't like it, go play a video game!"

CLARIFICATION

Just to make clear, I don't have a problem with flowcharts, as such. I just don't enjoy spending the majority of my gaming time making the AI's moves and only a brief time making my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Solitaire specific games aren't for me either. Although, I do enjoy playing two or more sides or positions in a game. Possibly, you could set up Andean Abyss and play all four factions. This may increase the decisions and fun for you. Plus, I have no short term memory, so I play my best for each side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brothereicher wrote:
Are there solitaire games out there that have more bang for your decision making buck?

This. I recommend you look into getting a copy of RAF or the remake, RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940. Also, I'd recommend Ambush!, Thunderbolt Apache Leader, and Raid on St. Nazaire.

These are games that manage to provide a somewhat competent "AI", without forcing the player to read a lot of tables and charts. (Although Ambush will require reading paragraphs, it's narrative in nature, which makes it more palatable.)

But if you think about it, how else are you going to provide a single player with a wargame-style experience, and with no computer? The AI you write for the game has to be able to make variable decisions - even in two, identical situations, for replay value - and that means having arrays of possibilities. The most common format for arrays in boardgames are...tables or charts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many different kinds of solitaire games. In most, you're going to have to spend time running the AI.

I think Andean Abyss is more flowcharty than most, and Fields of Fire certainly isn't a simple game. Navajo Wars is very procedural (though that's really not about the AI).

A co-op game like Pandemic really doesn't have an AI to run. If you're OK with non-wargames, maybe that's the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island in solitaire mode. The game really tells a story and has no flow-charting problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Porter
United States
Providence
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have Agricola on your list. Have you tried it solitaire?

I enjoy playing Ora et Labora and Le Havre solo. I haven't tried Agricola, but I suspect it would be a similar experience. And the cards would change each game significantly. In each of the Uwe games there is no downtime between turns as you are essentially the only player--some really simple AI rules. This type of solo game is basically like solving a big, complex, puzzle--everything is known upon setup and so you are basically trying to maximize points. I remember my mother often having a puzzle out on the table and I see my solitaire game set up on my coffee table in a similar light. I love agonizing over a few turns (or a full game) each night with a cup of tea after dinner. I'll too play video games on occasion, but I find myself increasingly preferring the pace of a board game.

I also have enjoyed playing Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe solitaire. These are a totally different gaming experience than the Uwe games. More immersive, in my opinion. I've played about a half dozen of each game and they are still fresh. They similarly have no downtime and no record keeping between turns, but I find myself having to be a lot more engaged--both with the adventure/theme and with all the permutations of rules. This is not always the gaming experience I am seeking.

BUT, it seems you want to enjoy war games solo and so the themes of all the above may be unappealing. I can definitely appreciate that sentiment and I have decided to pick up some other solos for that very reason. Actually, I have the exact same wish list as you, with the addition of the DVG's Leader series (just picked up Thunderbolt Apache Leader in a trade). I am hoping that these will serve as a third type of solo experience to the two above.

Happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Brothereicher wrote:
... Or are you reading this and saying, "Well, that's what solitaire games are!..."

I think that's how wargame solitaire's work, but not all solitaire games work like that. Card-driven solitaire games (The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, for example) don't use flowcharts at all.

The "states of siege" games by Victory Point Games (like We Must Tell the Emperor or Zulus on the Ramparts! or Legions of Darkness) are another style of solo-wargame that is not driven by an explicit AI but rather use hidden tiles.

Finally, there are solitaire board games that bring all this together brilliantly, like Mage Knight Board Game, Nemo's War, Magic Realm, and the previously mentioned Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. These games I've mentioned above are my favorites. Hopefully one or two of them will appeal to you, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Frąckowiak
Poland
Kołobrzeg/Szczecin
Zachodniopomorskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy spending my time with two solitaire games:
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 and D-Day Dice
In the first one you have to follow charts but you are the one that makes decisions during the attacks. Still it is a dice rolling game based on charts, but you do not decide AI moves that much. Plus you can hook up with some people and play tournaments to compare your scores.
D-day dice in solitaire mode is not as much fun as in 2-3 or even 4 players but if you like rolling dice that can ruin your planning all the time is a game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-op games avail themselves best to solitaire play, because you're always playing against the game, whether you play with other people or by yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Play Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island in solitaire mode. The game really tells a story and has no flow-charting problem.

I'll give this a thumbs up. When I've played it I really enjoy it. I just have too many games to crack and play or I'd play it more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ghost Stories

I don't understand playing solo, but I played this solo and loved it. I've EVEN thought about playing it again solo, and I really, really don't 'get' the whole solo thing. I just can't see the rewards. That said, this game really works solo. It's an amazing game, and it doesn't overstay its welcome (because you will die, many, many times before you win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

It may be that solo games aren't for you. I don't really enjoy them and have sold off every one that I've bought. Am hoping FoF will break that run!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Andean Abyss but I have played Labyrinth many times solo and it uses the flowcharts. I agree with you that it makes games monotonous and flat and I'd much rather play Labyrinth against a live opponent (I haven't yet).

However, I also have D-Day at Omaha Beach and it's a great game that doesn't suffer from this effect in my opinion. The flowcharts always return the same result under the same conditions, the AI in D-Day is more randomized. You still follow a set of rules but the card deck does a much better job of tailoring the German actions to the situation on the board, rather than the fixed decision making of a flowchart. D-Day also has a really good mechanism to simulate fog of war.

Having said that, solitaire games may not be for you but I would recommend playing a game that is specifically made to be played solitaire only before you come to that conclusion. D-Day is one of the best. If you play it and don't enjoy it, solitaire games probably aren't for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never like solitaire-specific boardgames because the manual AI management is usually clunky and often tedious. I do, however, enjoy playing standard 2-player wargames solo from time to time, playing each side as best I can (usually playing one side - typically the attacker - actively, while playing the other side reactively). Playing solo in this manner is so much more enjoyable because I don't have to wade through some manual AI mechanism. The only drawback, of course, is that it's tough to fool yourself (though, not impossible)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Huusko
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For a solo experience I usually go for video games. Why bother with the hassle of board game mechanics when you don't get the interaction that they offer to compensate.

The one game that I play solo though is Death Angel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:

I can only recommend Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island as I bought the game ~2 months ago as my solo player game of choice (my wife didn't want to play as much as I do).
After 8 weeks I have played a total of 20 sessions of it, but only 4 of them were solo This is not because the game is bad with one player, but more because I infected my wife AND my gaming group.
Every time we meet with the group the game is requested. And during the week when I set it up to play a solo game my wife shuts of the TV and wants to join me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo variants can be hit and miss but games built from the ground up to be solo can be fantastic. In fact, my favourite game is Field Commander: Napoleon which plays beautifully solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
It sounds like you're only playing the most complex of the solo games and then not having fun because they're too complex. I don't mean difficult to figure out, but they have a lot of moving parts and things to reference.

As someone else suggested, take a look at some DVG games like Thunderbolt Apache Leader or maybe the Field Commander games and see if those appeal more to you. I suggest these since your post seems to indicate you have an interest in war games. I've not played any of the Field Commander series, but the Leader series of DVG games have about 99% of the information you'll need while playing on the board or the one-sided player aid that comes with the game. This means you're not constantly flipping between charts in a rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andean Abyss isn't really meant to be played solitaire. Just like it isn't meant to be played with 2 or 3. It is designed to be played with 4. Just because there are rules for other ways to play doesn't mean that it plays well that way.

Mage Knight is another game that plays really well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You might want to try games that are specifically designed for solitaire play like many of those provided by Victory Point Games (VPG).

I became interested in playing games on my own in those instances when my main gaming partner (daughter) did not wish to play. I tried playing multiple players as well as many solo variants and didn't really enjoy myself. Then I ran across VPG! I cannot get enough of the history and the deep think-y strategy that their games offer. I started with some of their non-war games but have had such a satisfying gaming experience that I am willing to branch out into some pseudo-wargaming soon. These days, VPG commands most of my gaming interests.

The nice bonus to these solitaire-only games is that they can be shared as a co-operative experience for when my daughter wants to fade in and out of the gameplay. She sticks around to discuss strategy and help roll dice and make decisions and then wants to do something else and is free to leave me to it on my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo games you mention is the solo games I try to avoid...

On the other hand I love solo gaming.

Lord of the Rings the Card Game
Robinson Crusoe
Agricola
D-day Dice
Arkham Horror
Mage Knight
Marvel Legendary
Roll Through the Ages

None of the above games really have an AI that follows certain steps, instead its all build-in to the mechanics you use when playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing games designed for solitaire play. I also love playing co-op games (really the same thing) solitaire. I enjoy playing certain multiplayer (usually war games) games solitaire.

There's a big crowd of passionate and frequently posting solitaire gamers on the 1 Player guild. If you're looking for a way to make solitaire games work, please stop by the Solitaire Games on Your Table - March 2014. It's a busy geeklist every day of the month and you can go there and see an unbelievable variety of games that people play solitaire, both designed for solitaire and those not designed for solitaire. There's a tremendous amount of discussion about the qualities of each game as well as reviews, session reports, comments, and contests that are posted outside the standard places on BGG. That and the 1 Player Guild are great places to go to ask the same questions and for suggestions.

Also probably one of the friendliest places on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Rocher
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Current Holder of FITZ the Cursing Dice!
mbmbmbmb
I mostly feel the same as you, as I really enjoy beating a quality opponent or even sometimes working together and enjoying when a plan comes together, but there are some notable solo games that are worthy of attention:

Ambush
Robinson Crusoe
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
Field Commander Napoleon

due to the fact that most solitaire games do not have a reliable "memory" of actions taken by the player, it usually comes down to flow-charts or lots of dice to determine random threats, so for me it is not my favorite way to play. I feel like I am just gaming a system....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you feel like trying something with a science fiction theme, Gears of War: The Board Game is really fun, and has a very good AI system for the enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Farily soon, Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion is going to be released, and I highly recommend it - it has amazing A.I., and you'll know what the enemy needs to do with a flip of the card and about 5 seconds of reading.

Also, I highly recommend Mage Knight Board Game for solo play. There isn't exactly an "enemy A.I." in this game - the bad guys are stationary, and while they pop up in random ways, and your hand of cards is somewhat random, how you deal with the bad guys is fairly deterministic, meaning that they basically don't have an "A.I." per se. It's a fantastic game, and you'll find that once the game is set up, all your time will be spend deciding what *you* do, not what the game's enemies do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.