Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone worked on a solo variant for Viticulture? What are the possible barriers to a viable solo version?

I missed the original KS, but I'm going to be getting it along with the Tuscany expansion. I love playing stuff solo and would love to see a version for this one when I receive it many moons from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJStudley wrote:
Has anyone worked on a solo variant for Viticulture? What are the possible barriers to a viable solo version?

I missed the original KS, but I'm going to be getting it along with the Tuscany expansion. I love playing stuff solo and would love to see a version for this one when I receive it many moons from now.

I'm working on it .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David: Stay tuned to the Kickstarter for details on this. We have something really cool in the works for solo campaign play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Lommelen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here they are talking about a possible solo variant... (scroll down a bit...)

Edit: Jamey beat me to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Hugo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very very excited
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone missed it...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/tuscany-...

Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing that, David!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
David: Stay tuned to the Kickstarter for details on this. We have something really cool in the works for solo campaign play

Now that we're hopefully closing in on this stretch goal, any chance you can share more on this topic?

Thanks for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wil: Sure, the solo expansion adds 24 Automa cards to the game. You play Viticulture against a competitor whose actions are determined by those Automa cards. There are 7 rounds of play, and you can only choose each wake-up slot once per game (there are 7 of them, so they track the rounds of play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Wil: Sure, the solo expansion adds 24 Automa cards to the game. You play Viticulture against a competitor whose actions are determined by those Automa cards. There are 7 rounds of play, and you can only choose each wake-up slot once per game (there are 7 of them, so they track the rounds of play).

Thanks for the quick reply Jamey. This sounds fantastic.

Now I want Viticulture/Tuscany even more!

Looking forward to hitting this stretch goal, and hopefully seeing the Automa cards on that journey.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually playtesting Automa right now, so your comment was well timed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you take each wake-up slot in order? If not, I'll definitely have to use another worker to track that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mister allen wrote:
Do you take each wake-up slot in order? If not, I'll definitely have to use another worker to track that.
I figure you'd just use some of the glass beads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holger: Exactly! Well done, sir. At the beginning of the game, you place a glass bead over each wake-up number. You can only place your rooster where there's a bead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
It's officially part of Tuscany now :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/tuscany-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:

I'm so excited that this got added to Tuscany. I have been playtesting it and it is truly so much fun! Thanks to you, Morten, Jamey, and the others who made this happen!

Cheers, David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
DJStudley wrote:
I'm so excited that this got added to Tuscany. I have been playtesting it and it is truly so much fun! Thanks to you, Morten, Jamey, and the others who made this happen!

I'd like to second this. Thank you Morten, Jamey, and everyone involved!

I've only been playtesting Viticulture Autima for a short while but I can definitely say it's fantastic and one of my favorite solo experiences.

As Jamey said in the recent update, it does truly mimic the multiplayer experience. I can't tell you how many times I've flipped an Autima card and literally mumbled out loud: "really, you have to go there? Arrgh." This is a good thing though as the cards block the spaces you want at key times just like an opponent would.

The play time is also quite short as it's only 7 rounds, and man oh man is it NOT fidly. Elegant is the proper word in this case. Well done!

I really can't say enough good things about this solo experience. To me it's truly the best of its kind as you are working hard to win and you're not competing against your top score or something like that as you would in a solo game of Agricola. It's more engaging and satisfying.

The mamas and papas also set you off on new starting strategies so it's not same-y either, and best yet, there is a campaign mode so you can explore each tier solo.

A great solo experience and a great way to learn how to play and improve your playing. I'm gushing a bit here but they really did a wonderful job. Tuscany, legacy tiers, and Autima set an amazing high level mark for games to follow.

A super happy backer.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping/predicting that, once the world at large gets wind of Automa, Morten will get more requests to design solo modes for other games. It really is a very elegant design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Wil! I must admit I talk to myself while playing Automa too. It's like it knows what I'm thinking!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
DJStudley wrote:

I'd like to second this. Thank you Morten, Jamey, and everyone involved!

I've only been playtesting Viticulture Autima for a short while but I can definitely say it's fantastic and one of my favorite solo experiences.

As Jamey said in the recent update, it does truly mimic the multiplayer experience. I can't tell you how many times I've flipped an Autima card and literally mumbled out loud: "really, you have to go there? Arrgh." This is a good thing though as the cards block the spaces you want at key times just like an opponent would.

The play time is also quite short as it's only 7 rounds, and man oh man is it NOT fidly. Elegant is the proper word in this case. Well done!

I really can't say enough good things about this solo experience. To me it's truly the best of its kind as you are working hard to win and you're not competing against your top score or something like that as you would in a solo game of Agricola. It's more engaging and satisfying.

The mamas and papas also set you off on new starting strategies so it's not same-y either, and best yet, there is a campaign mode so you can explore each tier solo.

A great solo experience and a great way to learn how to play and improve your playing. I'm gushing a bit here but they really did a wonderful job. Tuscany, legacy tiers, and Autima set an amazing high level mark for games to follow.

A super happy backer.

Thank you!

Wow! Thank you both of you for the kind words, you just put a big grin on my face.

Also a big thank you for helping out by playtesting without the playtest team we'd be flying blind. After 70+ playtests by myself it's becoming hard for me to gauge what the right difficulty level is for new players .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
I'm hoping/predicting that, once the world at large gets wind of Automa, Morten will get more requests to design solo modes for other games. It really is a very elegant design.

That would be awesome . The positive feedback I've gotten about Automa for the past weeks have really made want to try my hand at solofying another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Thanks Wil! I must admit I talk to myself while playing Automa too. It's like it knows what I'm thinking!!

It does. In order to achieve this I had to buy about 6 billion mind reading probes and distribute one secretly to every human being. The bill for this should be arriving at Stonemaier Games any time now. Since you normally go all out to get the right components I assumed that you'd be OK with this .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.