Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that the title is Robinson Crusoe, and it is of course worthwhile reading this as well. However, a few have commented it's not quite the same as you represent a group of people stranded on an island.

I would suggest you try reading this book:

Island of the Lost
by Joan Druett

About a group (in fact two groups) of people that were shipwrecked on the Auckland Islands (South of New Zealand) in 1863. How the group dealt with having no items and the bitter cold. It's amazing some of the inventions made, it's really inspiring and easy read for anyone who has played Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
thumbsup just requested at the library!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a reminder after reading this book, just how much know-how a lot of us have lost since, and would very likely perish in such conditions.
I hope you enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure Ignacy did quite a bit of background reading for the game, I wonder if this was part of his reading list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
I'm sure Ignacy did quite a bit of background reading for the game, I wonder if this was part of his reading list?

Would be amazing if he did. Apparently it was a bestseller in Paris during the day. One of the main characters wrote a book - he was of French origin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real island.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19562787

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/trapped-on-a-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those two links. That was quite an interesting read in itself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sena
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
completed a library request last night. I am looking forward to reading this one.
thanks for the recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gldnbear93 wrote:
completed a library request last night. I am looking forward to reading this one.

No worries. Tell us your impression here when you've read it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizardless wrote:
gldnbear93 wrote:

No worries. Tell us your impression here when you've read it!

A good book of life aboard a sailing vessel is  Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana. It gives you a good idea of the California coast/area.  RC's island is in the book, briefly. 

A true story, Dana goes to sea because of weak eyes, yes reading too much causes bad eyes, so will playing board games, and one cure of the day was to take a vacation from it. His family is well off and instead of just paying to go as a pampered passenger he signs on as an unskilled deckhand. I believe he lost the original manuscript of the book and had to rewrite it again from memory. He finally graduated law school and took on a lot of work from sailors would couldn't afford the standard rate because of his respect for the live of a seamen and having experience the conditions first hand. 

There is no better description of rounding Cape Horn in the winter. Modern container ships still have difficulty traversing this area. 

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4277
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.