Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
We have a gal at our local library who is a big-time gamer and who has established a game lending library. There are perhaps twelve games in total at this point and I would like to donate at least one wargame to the collection.

That said, I don't know what is appropriate in terms of library "customers'" age, interests, the game mechanics and parts, &c.

Might you guys give some sound advice regarding what might work?

P.S. I'm thinking, too, of getting our local hobby shop to donate a game or two. If the library allows the shop to place a subtle "advert" for the shop on the game, all the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest an easy block game, like War of 1812 or Hammer of the Scots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Hunga's idea (although Hammer is not an easy game - in fact, I'd put it third on Columbia's complexity list behind EastFront and Rommel in the Desert), but for a more pragmatic reason - despite best intentions, if the game has a lot of bits, one or several will surely go astray.

With a block game, there are fewer pieces to lose, and because they're nice big pieces, they're also harder to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Kitchings
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree with Hunga's notion of "easy." How about Napoleon at Waterloo (SPI) or Battle for Moscow (GDW, or one of the more recent incarnations)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard III
United Kingdom
MILTON KEYNES
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lkitchings wrote:
I also agree with Hunga's notion of "easy." How about Napoleon at Waterloo (SPI) or Battle for Moscow (GDW, or one of the more recent incarnations)?

Yep easy/simple Columbia block games would be good I'd have thought like those above have suggested here. Another angle you might introduce to decide is local interest - not sure where you are based, i.e. no country flag shown with your ID - so let's pretend that you are in north america somewhere, Columbia's 1812 or Liberty might come into play more than say Waterloo; elsewhere and Waterloo might come into play. Etc etc.

You might like to also consider some of the simpler models using cards rather than blocks/pieces - eg Hill 218 or Battlelines etc; just a thought. Condottiere might be ok too although whether some would class that as a wargame is up for grabs perhaps.

If there is a plan for regulars to meet (say on a weekly basis) I would nudge Diplomacy as a must have!

Enough from me.

Quick but kind regards, RIII (aka Knyfe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle

Labyrinth

Any COIN - Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, Andean Abyss

Somehow "low complexity", low counter density, ease of teaching. Altho I'm not so sure on Labyrinth. I would have a hard time teaching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if someone loses a piece? Do they inventory the games each time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Good suggestions. A block game would be easy to inventory, too, when the game is returned at the end of the loan period.

Are there any WWI block games? It would be nice to tie in with the centennial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Tank on Tank is a very solid, simple intro-level wargame for new players to learn. It's a bit more expensive than most people would like for their personal collection, but for a lending library where it'll get a lot of play, it's perfect.

Agree on the durability / inventory ease of the block games, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Prop Joe wrote:
What happens if someone loses a piece? Do they inventory the games each time?

They do. I am well known for returning empty DVD cases!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Are the COIN games appropriate (if that's the word) for eighth graders and thereabouts? I'd like to provide something for young people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I think the library already has "Axis & Allies" now that I think of it. Are the Memoir games a step up from that in terms of complexity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
Are the COIN games appropriate (if that's the word) for eighth graders and thereabouts? I'd like to provide something for young people.

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Bjornis
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
I think the library already has "Axis & Allies" now that I think of it. Are the Memoir games a step up from that in terms of complexity?

Memoir is more of a tactical game than axis, and its more accessible and easier to get into. The different scenarios goes into real events/battles from WW2, and I think its suitable for all ages. Besides, its fun, quick(er) and the components are great. Its for 2 players only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:

Not even close. Sorry, there's just a lot to figure out in those games.

8th grade or so, I'd consider the Columbia 'block' games (already mentioned), Hold the Line and expansions, Collins' Spearpoint games, Tank on Tank (I mentioned above), and Memoir '44.

Ambitious middle school kids who can handle the block games and M'44 should be able to handle Battle Cry and C&C: Ancients, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest of the block games are Quebec 1759, War of 1812 and Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815. Quebec has the problem that you need paper and pencil to write orders. War of 1812 has only 4 pages of real rules, so that might be a good choice to start.

If you're going to expect kids to learn the game on their own, I think having only a few pages of rules is best. If some game summaries could be thrown in that would distill the game down, even better. A game like Battle Cry is easy to play and teach, but the rulebook is a bit long and hard to digest on its own.

You might ask your librarian friend of there are any periods of history that the staff gets asked about. Is there a local Civil War battlefield, for instance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard III
United Kingdom
MILTON KEYNES
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
Good suggestions. A block game would be easy to inventory, too, when the game is returned at the end of the loan period.

KG - I can't think of any. I'd probably have it if there was one! GMT have one in the pipeline (ie P500) they announced recently. It got 200+ pre-orders pretty quickly, but is well below the 'made the cut' level at the minute. If you are asking from your own interest point of view as well as out of interest for the library I can say that 'Clash of Empires' a 3Ws magazine game converts pretty easily. I have done this and can recommend. As do the games from ATO that cover Gallipoli, Verdun and The Somme.

There's Axis and Allies 1914 if you are asking wrt the Library only - ie miniatures rather than blocks. 'To the last man' may be worth a look - counters, but offering a different approach.

The new boxed version of 'Ottoman Sunset' might be worth thinking about if the you/the library are keen on WWI centennial tie up - although strictly speaking this might be off wavelength. It had occurred to me after I posted my first response that VPG generally might be worth thinking about as a potential source of suitable simple(ish?)/low inventory games wrt the Library idea.

Again - best RIII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Commands and Colors Ancients and Napoleonics? Both block games, both easy to understand. You only need the base games too.

Stickering the blocks before the first play...not so easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hpgeek wrote:
How about Commands and Colors Ancients and Napoleonics? Both block games, both easy to understand. You only need the base games too.

Great games, but they're the most complex of the C&C games. I'd go with Battle Cry or Memoir, and even those have rulebooks that are longer than I'd like. Hold the Line is a good suggestion, especially if there are some AWI battles in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Wow! Many, many thanks for these great suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwebec wrote:
Twilight Struggle, 1989, Labyrinth, Any COIN - Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, Andean Abyss...

All are WAY too complex for the uninitiated.

"Brain Cell Killers" to the common folk: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/915197/the-return-line-at-ta...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:

As of yet I don't think that there are any WWI block games although I think both GMT and VentoNuovo have announced plans for a WWI block game. I would like to add my voice to those suggesting CC:Ancients or CC:Napoleon, both are easy to learn and play that also look good set up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
Case Blue...okay, somebody had to say it!

With a one-week loan period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan would also do, plus I expect that people who frequent in libraries will admire its aesthetics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.